Was Rani Yahya an unfair first opponent for Matthew Lopez??

TomKat26

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So Rani Yahya submitted Matthew Lopez last night at UFC fight night 91. I was surprised when this fight was announced, because Yahya is so skilled and experienced (7-2 in the UFC, and 30 fights overall). Lopez is a skilled prospect, but had 8 fights to his credit. I don't recognize anyone that he has beaten either. The fight went how I guessed with a sub. win for Yahya. View media item 24283

Last edited:
He's one hell of a jiu jitsu artist, that's for sure.

Yeah, why bring in hand picked prospects from your reality show to get destroyed by veterans? Seems kind of counter productive doesn't it?

That's weird, considering Devin Clark got a newbie for this first fight and he was part of the same episode. Dana and the matchmaker must thought the kids was more talented than he is.

Unfair? Not sure I'd say that. It was definitely a tall order though. Lopez did very well early but that's the exact type of situation where Yayha's experience came in handy. He weathered the storm and let the newbie gas himself out and then took control of the fight.

I think sherdog picked the guy to win so it's not like it was a complete mis-match on paper. Yahya did what he does tho

It was a test for Lopez with the opportunity to advance up the ranks quickly without much to lose.

Lopez looked fine to me in the 1st. Needs to work on his cardio.

he was definitely thrown to the sharks. Yahya has been around the block for a long, long time, really only loses to the elite, and is a brilliant grappler. Lopez was given a really stiff test and came out on the short end, but gave a pretty good account of himself.

yup it is like giving sage northcutt nick lentz in his debut

Definitely, for a 8-0 regional circuit prospect.

However, he more than held his own and will have a good UFC career. Stick him in there with a low-level guy like Matt Hobar and he'll be back on track.

Not really. I thought he did surprisingly well. Having a loss on your record is something just about every fight has. No one remains undefeated unless they retire early.
He certainly got no worse treatment than 99% of all Japanese fighters in the UFC.

Lopez showed he belonged in there, did very well until he gassed, if he gets his cardio in check he could be a real force.

He was thrown to the wolves because of his hype. If you watch the Looking for a Fight episode he was on, his people were telling Dana that he was ready to fight Dillashaw.

If you can't beat yahya do you really belong in the ufc? There's way too many B level fighters already in the ufc

Tom Niinimaki debuted against Yahya and beat him. I remember thinking highly of Niinimaki after that fight, and then he loses his next 3 by submission...

Back