Was Mikey Burnett the Godfather of Sprawl and Brawl?

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He was a Wrestler with a legit amatuer boxing background he was a golden gloves champion with over 100 amatuer bouts, I know some people say its Chuck Liddell but I heard others say Mikey Burnett.

mikey, is that you?

To answer your question,
maybe its because he only got 7 mma fights?

I remember he sprawled right into a Din Thomas triangle choke on the Ultimate Fighter comeback season

Last I heard he'd been shot 4 times, wonder did he ever get his neck fixed?

I didn’t know godfather of sprawl and brawl was an official title for someone

now THERE'S a thread i didn't expect to see when i woke up this morning.

mikey, is that you?

To answer your question,
maybe its because he only got 7 mma fights?

Burnette was a great fighter in the 1990s. You sound like a newb who started watching Pride and TUF in 2004 or something. The number of fights has nothing to do with whether a fighter was innovative.

Keith Hackney vs. Royce Gracie was the first attempt at S&B. Hackney did pretty well but was too gunshy with his striking. I'd say Burnette (especially vs. Tadeu) and Don Frye (who destroyed some BJJ guy-Bitetti I think) were both godfathers. It was fun watching wrestle-boxers destroys Brazilians.

Actually, this is not wrong.

Burnett used sprawl and brawl to beat Olympic silver medalist Townsend Saunders in UFC 18. To my knowledge, this is the first time it was ever used successfully.

i just remember him beating the hell out of that black dude

While the sport had evolved a lot, I think Mikey could've still been relevant in TUF. He was only in his early 30s and had the wrestling/boxing combo plus athleticism going for him . But then he went totally mental and destroyed his neck before he fought. Sad.

Last edited:
Actually, this is not wrong.

Burnett used sprawl and brawl to beat Olympic silver medalist Townsend Saunders in UFC 18. To my knowledge, this is the first time it was ever used successfully.

I forgot about that fight--that was both good and surprising. It was one of the first wrestler vs. wrestler fights that showed well-roundedness and other factors can beat credentials. Some people still haven't learned. People thought I was crazy for suggesting Usman had a chance vs. Woodley ("Div 1 vs. Div 2...there's levels to this stuff, brah").

I remember he sprawled right into a Din Thomas triangle choke on the Ultimate Fighter comeback season

Yeah, fighting with a totally messed-up neck and multi-year layoff had nothing to do with it. Let's discredit anything BJ and Fedor did too, since all that matters is your last fight.

Burnette was a great fighter in the 1990s. You sound like a newb who started watching Pride and TUF in 2004 or something. The number of fights has nothing to do with whether a fighter was innovative.

Keith Hackney vs. Royce Gracie was the first attempt at S&B. Hackney did pretty well but was too gunshy with his striking. I'd say Burnette (especially vs. Tadeu) and Don Frye (who destroyed some BJJ guy-Bitetti I think) were both godfathers. It was fun watching wrestle-boxers destroys Brazilians.
Lol only a sherdogger would call someone a newb while under the impression they've been watching the sport for 15 years

Lol only a sherdogger would call someone a newb while under the impression they've been watching the sport for 15 years

No, only someone who's been watching since 1993. The majority of people here started watching mid-2000s and have a huge gap of collective ignorance about how the sport began and evolved.

It's Maurice Smith, how the thread got this far without mentioning him is pretty sad.

Idiot sued the UFC because he hurt himself trying to run through the exterior wall the inside of the UFC house.

TRIED TO RUN THROUGH A WALL. AN EXTERIOR WALL NO LESS.

Back