Was anyone REALLY surprised how good Rory's Stand up looked?

No, I thought he looked better against Condit (for r1 and 2).

He should have finished.

Sweet advice.

jose-aldo_rolando-perez.gif

Maybe Rory didn't feel comfortable doing that in MMA? Also De la Hoya didn't even know BJ's name..

tumblr_m7wk1zNbH01qfrkf9o1_500.gif

This is the same as people saying head movement isn't viable in MMA because of kicks and knees. Shitty head movement which sacrifices balance isn't viable (and some of the crazier, more showboatish style shit you'd see from the likes of Sweet Pea isn't viable). If you throw a shitty telegraphed jab to the body in boxing that sacrifices balance and position, your ass will get countered too. Not saying that De la Hoya was necessarily spot on, here, but the jab to the body is a legitimate weapon in MMA (and I've seen it used by many a Nak Muay to set stuff up and break fighter's rhythm).

This is the same as people saying head movement isn't viable in MMA because of kicks and knees. Shitty head movement which sacrifices balance isn't viable (and some of the crazier, more showboatish style shit you'd see from the likes of Sweet Pea isn't viable). If you throw a shitty telegraphed jab to the body in boxing that sacrifices balance and position, your ass will get countered too. Not saying that De la Hoya was necessarily spot on, here, but the jab to the body is a legitimate weapon in MMA (and I've seen it used by many a Nak Muay to set stuff up and break fighter's rhythm).

but you could see why guys would be hesitant to lower their heads to jab the body

Not really to be honest. It was impressive but I wasn't surprised. He learns and improves quickly, and is young and hungry. Dangerous fight for anyone at 170, shows how bad ass Condit is for taking that rematch right after the GSP fight.

His moves looked accurate, yes, but then again Penn didn't pose much of a threat. I was expecting him to give Rory a tough fight, but unfortunately he couldn't. I want to see more of his striking to really form an opinion.

but you could see why guys would be hesitant to lower their heads to jab the body

Yes. Just as I can understand why boxers and kickboxers are sometimes hesitant to jab to the body.

The only question you need to ask is if you think what he did against Penn proves he can beat Condit, and that was not proven resoundingly.

It only proved that he could give Condit a tough fight, but Rory does not seem great at any one dimension.

I thought his only chance was on the ground, boy was I wrong he whooped BJ's ass standing. And broke my heart in the process.

A lot of people are giving Rory a hard time for being unable to finish. When I saw the fight my impression was that in the second round it become apparent to both men that Penn was a sitting duck and that Rory could basically do whatever he wanted with him due to superior size, ability and their relative levels of cardio. It really felt to me like Rory showed Penn some mercy, as he really let up after wobbling and lighting up Penn. I know it sounds kind of weird, and only those two know what went on in there, but that was my honest impression of the situation. Oh, and of course I have to mention that BJ is one of my favourite fighters.

I'll admit I was. I was expecting BJ to pick him apart on the feet TBH. I guess I underestimated how good Rory really is.

I think Rory was very impressive but he didn't have an overhand right. I'm guessing it was injured because he didn't use it all that much despite numerous openings. Or maybe he just didn't want to over-commit or it wasn't part of the gameplan.

Man, Condit is going to get his ass whooped this time. i hope I'm wrong though

I didn't expect him to strike this well, I didn't even expect him to outstrike BJ but after the fight I was suprised

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back