Was Alex Pereira’s rise in the UFC the demise of Israel Adesanya?

Freddie83

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
It seems as Alex gained notoriety in the UFC, Israel’s career began its landing back to Earth.
Israel was king of the world, until:

- 11/12/22 UFC 281: Alex defeats Israel for the third time in their combat sports career. Gets crowned middle weight champ and Israel also loses for the first time at Middle weight.

-4/18/23 UFC 287: Israel wins rematch to regain the Middle weight belt.

9/9/23 UFC 293: Israel loses the Middle weight belt to Sean Strickland who trained with none other than Alex Pereira for this fight.

Now, Alex is scheduled to fight Jiri for the next title shot while Israel just announced a semi-retirement.

I sense a correlation.

I think the Strickland thing was just planets aligning sort of thing.

Realistically, Izzy may have never fought Strickland as Strickland would probably be stuck around top 5.

Also why I'm against instant rematches as there can be many guys lower in the rankings who can absolutely beat the shit out of a dominant champ but will never get the chance as they're stuck behind other guys constant instant rematches.

He'll be back.

Crazy ass schedule he's had. A breather is probably a good idea.

Still down for the Poatan fight down the line.

izzy career is not done. he had a bad showing against strickland.
if he pulls out due to injury or waits for ddp threads are going on about he is the goat. talks of a demise are over exaggerated.

rather then demise, might be hard for the lion to work his way back up to being the alpha. it's a lot of energy and effort. with all the money he has now he may want to direct his energy elsewhere as he has earned it.

izzy could very well be like a mike tyson going forward and just be an accepted part of human culture.

He might never fight again - he’s taking a long break from mma he said

he’s burnt out

it’s a tough sport to stay at the top

I think it equally has to do with the fact that Izzy is entering his mid 30's and has over 100 professional combat sports bouts on his resume. Losses happen. He still has a higher win % than 98% of UFC fighters.

Yeah Alex is a bad matchup for him (obviously) but he was shoehorned into being a title contender. If he had to rise the ranks like a normal fighter he would never sniff a title shot and fight Izzy.

I think that linking Strickland's win to Alex is a bit of a stretch.

I think both Alex P fights were very stressful for Izzy and caused major burnout. Think about it, a guy who had beaten you twice before beats you again in the sport that you’re “supposed” to be better in. Izzy probably felt insane pressure for the rematch, probably worried his legacy would be ruined by that.

Not to diminish Strickland, I still think he’s always going to be a tough matchup for Izzy.

It seems as Alex gained notoriety in the UFC, Israel’s career began its landing back to Earth.

- 11/12/22 UFC 281: Alex defeats Israel for the third time in their combat sports career. Gets crowned middle weight champ and Israel also loses for the first time at Middle weight.

9/9/23 UFC 293: Israel loses the Middle weight belt to Sean Strickland who trained with none other than Alex Pereira for this fight.

Now, Alex is scheduled to fight Jiri for the next title shot while Israel just announced a semi-retirement.

I sense a correlation.
Uh..
Izzy beat him. Remember? Like shadow realm.
Then he lost the belt to a different guy entirely.
He's burned out, needs a break.
He will be champion again.

Izzy got burnt out. But not so much by his schedule (although it did have a huge factor) but by the rivalry he has with Alex. The man beat him twice in kickboxing. And then in middleweight to take his belt. All three fights Izzy was winning. First one was a controversial decision. Second Izzy was winning until he didn’t, same with the third. He put everything he had into beating Alex the 4th time. After that, he felt he conquered his mountain. Started living life more. You can see this in him being drunk with his altercation with ddp. Also him getting a dui before the Strickland fight. Also he just announced he’s taking a hiatus. So you’re not wrong ts. Alex Rise in the ufc was a downfall to Izzy. It burnt him out and he paid for it. Expect him to take a year off, then come back and win his belt back from whoever has it.

izzy could very well be like a mike tyson going forward and just be an accepted part of human culture.
i get what you’re saying, but… people care what mike tyson says because he’s mike fucking tyson, and they always will. izzy is no mike tyson. people barely care what he thinks right now. in a few years they won’t even remember his name.

i get what you’re saying, but… people care what mike tyson says because he’s mike fucking tyson, and they always will. izzy is no mike tyson. people barely care what he thinks right now. in a few years they won’t even remember his name.
People will be asking for his opinion as often as they ask Pat Miletich.
Izzy got burnt out. But not so much by his schedule (although it did have a huge factor) but by the rivalry he has with Alex. The man beat him twice in kickboxing. And then in middleweight to take his belt. All three fights Izzy was winning. First one was a controversial decision. Second Izzy was winning until he didn’t, same with the third. He put everything he had into beating Alex the 4th time. After that, he felt he conquered his mountain. Started living life more. You can see this in him being drunk with his altercation with ddp. Also him getting a dui before the Strickland fight. Also he just announced he’s taking a hiatus. So you’re not wrong ts. Alex Rise in the ufc was a downfall to Izzy. It burnt him out and he paid for it. Expect him to take a year off, then come back and win his belt back from whoever has it.
DDP will kick the shit out of him.

I think the Strickland thing was just planets aligning sort of thing.

Realistically, Izzy may have never fought Strickland as Strickland would probably be stuck around top 5.

Also why I'm against instant rematches as there can be many guys lower in the rankings who can absolutely beat the shit out of a dominant champ but will never get the chance as they're stuck behind other guys constant instant rematches.
Yeah almost every title fight being best of three if the challenger wins is bullshit.

I sense a correlation.

Alex haunts Izzy like Fredie Crugger.

Back