warning signs of cauliflower ear?

When is it too late to do something about it? I thought I had a little ear infection since there was some mild pain, like a bruise, on that part of your ear that's right by the canal, the part that some people pierce (not the outer part of the ear, like the flap). Anyway, I got to thinking about it, and realized it the mild pain was somewhat localized to just that little piece, and that it felt inflamed, but unlike the inflammation of what might be an infection, it felt a little hard under the inflammation.

Since I'm definitely not wanting that part to swell up (or any part for that matter), but especially that since it's where I stick my Q-tips and where the sound goes into! :redface: Anyway, I'm wondering if it's too late to get it checked and drained? How late is too late to have anything easily done to it? I'm sure I could have some complex procedure done, but I'm hoping just to get by with a little drain. So how long before it's too late?

I'm pretty lucky. I've been training off and on since 2000, started with Judo for a couple of years and then started jiu-jitsu in 2005 (been on and off the mat depending on injuries) and my ears seem immune to cauliflower ear. I've practiced boxing and kickboxing as well. Neck wrestling with gloves and all that.

My left ear swells up sometims and every morning it's puffy and red and sensitive (from sleeping on it), but it never fills up, even when it's purple. I guess my ears have an anti-cauliflower gene in them.

I'm one of the lucky ones.

I got cauliflower and flaunt it like medals.

Got my my first cauliflower ear 8 months in. tried to drain it a few times but it kept coming back. i just let it go and now its hard as a rock. the only way to really prevent it is genetics... flexable ears.

the first sign for me that its time to bust out the headgear is when i start to have trouble sleeping cause my ear hurts against the pillow.

Cliff Keen makes pretty good head gear. I had to start wearing it. I hate the feeling of sore ears at night when I'm trying to sleep.

hmm, i just came back from practice and i got kneed in the ear fairly hard. there a possibility that i have it? it's really warm, stings a little, and is a little bigger than the other ear.
Fuck, second week and i'm in danger already?
-Jon

I think you'd know if you hurt your ear bad enough to have califlower ear. Hell, getting hit with a snowball makes it feel warm and sting. I've had a very small spot, and it hurt like hell. I definately knew something was up. I couldn't stand for it to be touched. Like the other guy said, look for purple lumps. From what I understand, very mild swelling isn't very likely to cause permenant damage. It's when it swells up thick enough to completely seperate the skin from the cartlidge underneath that you get permenant damage.

so...I actually want some mild cauliflower ear...I thought I would end up getting it with time, but I haven't. My ears take a beating, but are never sore, and never swell... It's like no matter what, I can't get it! :confused:

i have never tried bjj yet as i want to get started into it. So is cali ears more prominent w/bjj?

How can i avoid it?

i train MT and i havn't gotten it yet, but then again i try to not get hit in the ears.

i have never tried bjj yet as i want to get started into it. So is cali ears more prominent w/bjj?

How can i avoid it?

i train MT and i havn't gotten it yet, but then again i try to not get hit in the ears.

It depends more on genetics then the sport. Training in any Martial Art can give you cauli ears. Some people have more flexible ears or their ears can just take more bumps. Other people can get it from the mildest bumps.

Basically the only sure way to avoid it is wearing headgear. Don't let cauli ear stop you from trying bjj. I've been training for about 10 months now (all without head gear) and sometimes my ears are soar but I've never really been worried from that and I still don't have even a hint of cauli.

Basically don't use headgear until you know your ears. If they can handle the bumps you don't have too much to worry about. If they can't... Drain your ears and buy some headgear.

My warning sign was I felt tenderness from time to time and then would go away. Then one day after practice I was watching tv and touched my ear and found out I had a butt-hole growing on it.

It depends more on genetics then the sport. Training in any Martial Art can give you cauli ears. Some people have more flexible ears or their ears can just take more bumps. Other people can get it from the mildest bumps.

Basically the only sure way to avoid it is wearing headgear. Don't let cauli ear stop you from trying bjj. I've been training for about 10 months now (all without head gear) and sometimes my ears are soar but I've never really been worried from that and I still don't have even a hint of cauli.

Basically don't use headgear until you know your ears. If they can handle the bumps you don't have too much to worry about. If they can't... Drain your ears and buy some headgear.

How would you drain your ears?
im such a newb.

How would you drain your ears?
im such a newb.

Go to the doctor and have them drain it. It's basically a blood blister and they'll stick a needle into it. You have to be fast though. I've gotten it three times and within a day it was already pretty hard. Never tried having mine drained, but within 24-48 hours I don't think there was anything left to drain.

Ive only been training a short while but my ears are constantly sore and even have mysterious scabs in the back behind the lobes. Should I be worried or is this normal. Plan on getting headgear soon. Tried on my gear from 8th grade doesnt fit anymore :icon_chee

My recommendation - put on headgear the minute you start drilling with a partner. Take them off at the end of class.

I think i had it start once when i pulled my head out of a tight triangle and it hurt like a bitch for 2 weeks then it happened again when somehow a dude got my ear folded and smashed for a minute or two straight. it really swelled up that time and after it stopped hurting i have a subtle difference in size and its pretty solid. its not noticeable at all but does this make me more susceptible to getting worse cauliflower ear?

Back