WARNING! kagi competition sportsarmor gi legality

pattheflip

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The following is an email that I sent Kagi Sports about a week ago, and they haven't responded yet. I thought I'd post it here just so people would know.

---
Hi,

I've had my kagi sportarmor (competition gi) for a while. A little bit stiff at times, but generally a good gi. I bought it because i wanted a good, strong tournament gi, and my other gi was too ripped up to be tournament-viable.

Sadly, i discovered today that the sportarmor is most likely not allowed in competition because the collar is too thick. For reference, I'm in Japan, but I believe that the gi checkers they use are the IBJJF standards. I'm training at Alive Academy in Nagoya, and I've had three black belts and a brown belt all tell me I can't use it. which blows, because it's advertised as a competition gi on the website, and it's kind of ironic because "kagi" means "key" in Japanese. Anyway, I was disappointed to learn this because it means that I can't use the gi myself, I can't recommend the sportarmor gis to my friends, and I would hope that the webpage description for the gi is updated accordingly, because it's rather misleading at the moment.

Sincerely,
Patrick Miller

damn man that sucks but thanks for letting everyone know about that

unfortunate :-(

though, some guys have had their Gameness Plats come up illegal, and we know they aren't so :S

~Foz

Sorry to hear about that man. Thanks for looking out for the rest of us though. I actually came really close to buying that exact gi. Keep us updated when they respond back to you...
peace

Well...at least you didn't spend like $150 on it like other higher end kimonos can cost...

yeah, but i ended up spending $210 on a lutador gi because there weren't any other options before the tournament.

yeah, but i ended up spending $210 on a lutador gi because there weren't any other options before the tournament.

wow --so an expensive day at the tournement then--- id be gutted if i got knocked out in the 1st round:icon_cry2

Back