Warm fluid in ear when getting choked

TexDeuce

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Sometimes, not too often but every now and then, when I get caught in a choke and a shitload of pressure is put on my neck and sometimes my jaw, this warm fluid starts flowing into my right ear and feels like it is going to start leaking out but it never does.

This happened within my first two months of BJJ when some dude squeezed the shit out of my neck/jaw, and every since in my right ear if I get a lot of pressure put on me in a certain way this shit happens to me. Is this just me, or does this happen to anyone else? It's been 2 1/2 years now, I don't know if it is minor or serious.

Just curious cause it happened again last night and I could of sworn this warm fluid was going to just leak out of my ear, yet it never does. Weird.

uhh i would go see a doctor dude. i've never heard of that happening before and it never happened to me, either.

thats cauliflower ear it can happen when you pull out of chokes, get punched in the ear, etc ... you have to get it drained asap (within 3 days max) otherwise the fluid will harden and your ears will be permanently fucked up (if you want to avoid this get head gear)

ps. search function

He said it FEELS like warm fluid but there aint...

No its not cauli, my ears are fine and they don't hurt. It is just coming from the inside.

If nothing happens to it after that..I wouldnt worry about it. But, maybe, just maybe, it can cause cauliflower ear. I'm 16 and i have it and it already hardened up and i walk around school with it....See a doctor if u get cauliflower ear, but keep in mind if he fixes up your ear if u get it, he'll say no grappling for a month, so, if you get it, just get a friend to take a sryringe and stick it in your ear and drain that shit out.

Also, check up on your ears everynight after practice and every morning too.

I don't wanna scare you, but depending on the consistancy and colour of the fluid, it just might be your brains being squeezed out. Check with a q-tip after training for brain tissue residue. Either way I would suggest you suck it up and walk it off.. worst case scenario you'll end up retarded with a wicked triangle defense, and that's awsome.

Could it be acute transient vasodilation of the mucosal lining of the eustachian tubes due to increased vascular pressures from the choke? Just a guess.
Gotta tap/escape/counter faster.

DMcKayBJJ said:
Could it be acute transient vasodilation of the mucosal lining of the eustachian tubes due to increased vascular pressures from the choke? Just a guess.
Gotta tap/escape/counter faster.

Did you make all that up dude?

GuardGame said:
Did you make all that up dude?

Draconically speaking, you are most definitely correct.

It might be that the increased internal blood pressure is causing your brain to seek release through the nearest opening!!! Escape Escape Escape!!!!

It isn't the brain comming out; those people are just joking. I'm wrong with the rest of this post. See next reply. Thanks for the information Doc!!! McKayBJJ's explaination may be right; although, I am not a doctor. Basically, it means that some fluid leaks from the tube that connects your inner ear to your throat. That is due to small blood vessels inside the tube changing shape - bacause the choke disrupts your blood flow - dislodging some of the fluid in there.

The eustachian tube is a cartilaginous tube which connects your middle ear cavity to your nasopharnxy. When you are being choked, secretions from your nasopharynx are being directed into the middle ear cavity. This is happening because the choke is causing the pressure in the eustachian tube to be greater than the pressure in your middle ear. You do not feel fluid because your tympanic membrane covers your middle ear.

Now, if you start feeling fluid from your ears, then either you perforated your tympanic membrane or you have a CSF leak. (most likely the former) You can get CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leaks from the ear, but are very unusual. Seen in the setting of trauma, chronic inflammory middle ear disease, or congenital bony skull defects.

I would absolutely see an ENT if that happens.

I am a neuroradiolgist and specialize in imaging of the head neck, brain, and spine. I am not giving you medical advice, however. just trying to educate.

there I covered my butt.

cheers.

zicherja said:
The eustachian tube is a cartilaginous tube which connects your middle ear cavity to your nasopharnxy. When you are being choked, secretions from your nasopharynx are being directed into the middle ear cavity. This is happening because the choke is causing the pressure in the eustachian tube to be greater than the pressure in your middle ear. You do not feel fluid because your tympanic membrane covers your middle ear.

Now, if you start feeling fluid from your ears, then either you perforated your tympanic membrane or you have a CSF leak. (most likely the former) You can get CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leaks from the ear, but are very unusual. Seen in the setting of trauma, chronic inflammory middle ear disease, or congenital bony skull defects.

I would absolutely see an ENT if that happens.

I am a neuroradiolgist and specialize in imaging of the head neck, brain, and spine. I am not giving you medical advice, however. just trying to educate.

there I covered my butt.

cheers.

Would your place of business like to go filmless!? PACS ThE WAVE OF THE FUTURE! :D

most places are filmless already. Films SUCK, but how this mma related?

Back