War Room Lounge V20: Halloween Awareness: Dispatches Blast Yo Ass from a Pumpkin Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Lawnmower Man was an actual book/movie?

I thought you were making a joke, like that Family Guy joke about King making a book about a killer desk lamp.

Short story about this guy who cuts the lawn naked and eats the grass. Then gets caught and kills the homeowner. The movie is about this guy who gets like super powers from virtual reality and shit.

Anybody else like 11/22/63?

I hadn't read a King book in a really long time before that one, and aside from the ending I really enjoyed it. Very different kind of story for him, and I thought he did a great job building the early 60's.
I dug it.

The original Carrie is great and so is Salem's Lot.
And Creepshow was pretty great, too. I also liked Christine, which is one of his better books, imo.

IT > The Stand > Christine imo

Anyone else think the recent remake of It really fucking sucked?

I especially didn't care for the take on Pennywise. I get that they had to distinguish it from Curry's character, but when you make Pennywise's clown form so ghoulish and creepy sounding it kind of destroys the whole supposed point of him appearing as a clown to entice children. Like, what child was going to think, "yeah, I should trust that scary looking clown demon"?

Movie adaptations are a different story. I agree they mostly suck huge balls. But for the good ones I'd go:
Shawshank
Misery
The Shining (even though it was nothing like the book)
The Green Mile
The Running Man
Stand By Me
Cujo
Carrie

I especially didn't care for the take on Pennywise. I get that they had to distinguish it from Curry's character, but when you make Pennywise's clown form so ghoulish and creepy sounding it kind of destroys the whole supposed point of him appearing as a clown to entice children. Like, what child was going to think, "yeah, I should trust that scary looking clown demon"?
I haven't seen the new IT. The original sucks. The book is great, but the clown isn't endearing to kids at all.

Anybody else like 11/22/63?

I hadn't read a King book in a really long time before that one, and aside from the ending I really enjoyed it. Very different kind of story for him, and I thought he did a great job building the early 60's.

I loved it. Also the series adaptation was well done imo.

I haven't seen the new IT. The original sucks. The book is great, but the clown isn't endearing to kids at all.

Maybe I'm just projecting from what I thought was the point of the original and Curry's portrayal of Pennywise as charismatic and his scariness more subtle than overt - playing on the creepiness of clowns themselves. Skarsgard's take just seemed over the top.

Maybe I'm just projecting from what I thought was the point of the original and Curry's portrayal of Pennywise as charismatic and his scariness more subtle than overt - playing on the creepiness of clowns themselves. Skarsgard's take just seemed over the top.
Yeah, Curry's personality was similar in the sense that he was a sarcastic prankster type (I don't remember reading it in that Brooklyn accent, though, hehe). But the book version was less animated and more menacing all the time, while also telling jokes to amuse himself. Like an alien (which he was) with no clue how to lure kids, trying to make it happen just by choosing the most kid friendly costume it could think of, and then still acting like a creepy alien.

Yeah, Curry's personality was similar in the sense that he was a sarcastic prankster type (I don't remember reading it in that Brooklyn accent, though, hehe). But the book version was less animated and more menacing all the time, while also telling jokes to amuse himself. Like an alien (which he was) with no clue how to lure kids, trying to make it happen just by choosing the most kid friendly costume it could think of, and then still acting like a creepy alien.

It was an alien? I think I read that but forgot. Man, King sucks.

Loved me some Silver Bullet. Saw that one in the theater. One of may favorite Gary Busey roles.
Not to mention a budding star in Haim.
oqeEtQK.gif

The garage scene was outstanding, but otherwise, yeah, not a fan of movie Pennywise, or Curry's for that matter.
There is a level of creepiness to It that I don't think can be portrayed on screen. One of the reasons King's books don't materialize on film is because of the depth and subtlety of his characters. Like Shawshank and Stand By Me, movies like It require a voice over to fill in the blanks and even then there are too many blanks.

The garage scene was outstanding, but otherwise, yeah, not a fan of movie Pennywise, or Curry's for that matter.
There is a level of creepiness to It that I don't think can be portrayed on screen. One of the reasons King's books don't materialize on film is because of the depth and subtlety of his characters. Like Shawshank and Stand By Me, movies like It require a voice over to fill in the blanks and even then there are too many blanks.

Randomly, I remember not hating the made-for-television adaptation of Night Flier. But that was probably mostly because I like that actor. Miguel Ferrar, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back