Want to start BJJ club @ Youngstown State Univ, ohio

cjlewis01

Drained Ear Belt/Paper Airplane Champ
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys, as the title states, I want to start a BJJ club at my college in Youngstown, ohio.

The reason? Well our rec center doesn't have anywhere for us to roll or drill at, upon asking they said if we made it an official club we would be able to get space.

They told me we need at least 4 members to establish a club. Me and my dude are two. We are only white belts and currently train with Roy Deans Blue Belt DVD, after some months at a TJJ school.

We really just want some space to drill, but this seems the only way.

Anyone interested?

Also anyone who has done this at another University and has tips please let me know!

Higher Belts interested would be amazing!

Thanks

Not sure if a university would allow a club without a trained instructor (insurance reasons). Also training off of an instructional alone might not be a good idea, as a blue belt I still find myself messing up minor techniques that my instructor fixes up for me. Without someone trained watching you, you will most likely develop flawed techniques and bad habits.

That said, if it is your only option good luck and hopefully you get some purples or up to join you guys.

My friend is trying to get me to apply to Youngstown with him. If I do and get accepted, and attend Ill be sure to start one. That's a lot of if's though lol

Not sure if a university would allow a club without a trained instructor (insurance reasons). Also training off of an instructional alone might not be a good idea, as a blue belt I still find myself messing up minor techniques that my instructor fixes up for me. Without someone trained watching you, you will most likely develop flawed techniques and bad habits.

That said, if it is your only option good luck and hopefully you get some purples or up to join you guys.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know about the insurance thing. I explained to the rec center guy and he didn't mention it. Will have to cross that bridge if we make it that far.

As far as training from a DVD I know what you mean, but while at school I don't have time to go to a legit school until summer break. Plan on trying out a Gracie school. I wrestled in high school, and did do 2-3 months at a TJJ school. So hopefully I don't make too many bad habits.

Thanks again for the post

I started a BJJ club at my college and it was relatively easy. I just filled out a form and bam! I pretty much had a club. I had an instructor in mind and they didn't question or care about his experience/knowledge. We registered as an intramural club and we don't compete so they didn't really have any questions.

As for getting more than 4 people, I don't know how it is in Ohio, but in New York...the club had an awesome turnout. We regularly have almost a dozen people that dedicate themselves ( + a few who come for a day and then ditch haha) The trick is just word of mouth and advertising well on campus.

Good luck mang!

This is pretty crazy to come across. I am a senior at Youngstown State and also have been training for about a year. I would definitely be interested, but (as state above) I am certain we would need/want an instructor. Tony Rinaldi used to teach a self-defense course there and runs a BJJ school out of Boardman, Ohio. Also, come down to Next level Martial Arts in Austintown/Mineral Ridge area. That is where I train and it is a nice atmosphere with a great instructor (James Terlecki). This may be a pipe dream, but worst case scenario- Keep rolling!

Back