Want to Grapple in SW Pennsylvania!!

Sinister Rouge

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know this is probably a lost hope for me, but here I go anyway...

I want to start training some submission grappling at a school relatively close to me (atleast within an hour), and I live east of Pittsburgh in the Greensburgh, Latrobe, Jeannette, Irwin area. I work a job 4pm-9pm Monday through Friday, and have not been able to find any places that offer classes any times other than the times I work unless it's a weekend (In which case I'd only get in 1 day of class a week, which is not enough for me because I want to compete). I do not want to start taking private lessons when I haven't even trained, because I'm positive those will be too expensive. Anyone have any options open to me that I can't seem to find? It's terrible wanting to pursue this and not being able to find anywhere that I can.

I saw the map that Frodo made of all the schools in the Pittsburgh area and those are all too far for me, and if they aren't too far they don't offer classes at the times I'd be able to attend.

Anyone out there know of a school in this area I haven't been able to find that has afternoon or morning class or one that I have found and maybe didn't notice they have grappling classes at those times. Thanks to anyone who even gives enough of their time to read this.

Team Combative Grappling Systems (CGS) is very close to Irwin.

http://teamcgs.com/

They have a Saturday class which could fit your schedule. Their per-class fee is not very much. I think their instruction is pretty competent and the guys who roll there are very skilled. Mac Danzig used to train with Casey (owner of Team CGS) when he started, and he still does seminars for them.

Frodo might be able to confirm this, but isnt there something called Combative Grappling Systems out in Greensburg. I think that is where Mac Danzig got his start.

Edit: Jimmy you beat me to it.

Frodo might be able to confirm this, but isnt there something called Combative Grappling Systems out in Greensburg. I think that is where Mac Danzig got his start.

Didn't I just say that? ;-)

Off topic, but ts is your name in reference to the Bad Religion song?

I had checked out their site before I posted this, but thanks for the quick response. I'm just not sure if training for an hour and a half a week will really be enough for me. I know I'd beable to do some stuff on my own, but I was hoping to get 3 classes a week if I could find a place that had classes in the mornings or afternoons on days other than Saturday. Thanks again for the response though.

Anyone know any other places around here with a more diverse schedule?

Steel City Martial Arts and Balance Pittsburgh(I think thats the name) are both in the south hills of Pittsburgh.

Steel City Martial Arts and Balance Pittsburgh(I think thats the name) are both in the south hills of Pittsburgh.

I would love to be able to go that far for classes, but it would be an hour drive minimum to get there and an hour drive back. Considering I have classes (college) in the mornings and afternoons it would be too hard to try and make that big of a window. I would need to clear a 3-4 hour window for a 1-2 hour class, and with gas being so expensive I don't even want to consider the costs there.

I know I will have to make sacrifices if I want to make grappling part of my lifestyle, but I just can't afford to spend that much on just driving to class at this point in my life. Thank you guys though for your feedback it is appreciated and I have looked into those places.

Anyone know of anything close? I know its probably hoping for too much, but a man can dream!

Some of the guys at Team CGS train at Olympus Gym by themselves too. Ask James, Russ, Brad, or Chris if they still train on the off days.

TTT I'll just do this one more time tomorrow and let it drop to the abyss if no one can help me out anymore.

Back