Want a good laugh

What are the similarities between a wife and a hurricane?

They come in wet and wild, and they leave with the car and the house.

hey man, there is some logic to the video, i just wouldn't be crazy enough to do it..

Actually we do this sort of stuff in my Sambo class. The teacher in this video is a Sambo guy. Note bio:

<i>Scott Sonnon crafted this video based upon his experience with the joint lethal grappling style of Russian Sambo: 3X USA National Sambo Coach, International Champion, and USA Police Sambo Team Coach, his training in the former Soviet Union with trainers of the elite combat subdivisions of the special forces SPETSNAZ, and his research with special purpose police unit trainers</i>

It is weird stuff. I'll agree with that. I don't necessarily like it when we drill it (whenever we drill this stuff they call it 'Systema'. But it is stuff you don't expect. There is good theory behind it.

Personally I prefer it when we drill more traditional throws, armbars, escapes, etc. Mostly because it is easier for me to 'get' than Systema. But I'll bet your going to be seeing more and more Systema around...

Yea I have seen those type videos..russian stuff..some of the concepts and ideas arent bad.

his aproach is interesting... but not easy........

That was a cool video.

It reminds me of aikido, but without all the silly stuff that is too prevalent in that art. It was neat to see all the leglock opportunities that guy created.

Obviously he was training worst case scenario stuff, i.e. you are knocked to the ground in a self-defense situation and attackers are trying to stomp you. I thought his approach to that situation was pretty neat though. Stay mobile, try to take the opponent down as well. Then get up or finish quickly with a heelhook.

Good stuff, in my opinion.

That isn't my point. My point is the guy always puts this sort of thing up, and it is NEVER against a resisting attacker.

nick cannon or this?

answer: this

this is my very subtle joke of the day

It is even choreographed when we practice it. Kick coming to the head, redirect, and throw. I don't know if it would really work when someone is just trying to stomp on you. In all honesty I think if you are in the middle of a mob trying to stomp you then you're probably screwed.

But when you feel the throws/redirections/etc they really do work. You go flying.

I like the more 'traditional' groundwork we practice (guard, escape from mount, submissions, etc). But occasionally we'll spend an entire class on the sort of concepts you see in that video.

Funny looking stuff. But, would be good to know if you were Saku and Wandy's coming in with a head stomp! Talk about an upset: Saku def. Wandy with a leglock.

The stuff is pretty choreographed and the attackers are obviously not going 100%. However, with stuff like that, it is not really possible to train it against truly resisting attackers. If you regularly spar full out lying on the ground with five people trying to stomp your head in, you will not be training long.

I agree that you are probably screwed if you find yourself on the ground with a bunch of people trying to kick your head in. But at least these defenses give you some sort of chance.

It's the same reason that, in my opinion, it is worthwhile to train empty hand defenses to the knife. Even though you are probably in trouble no matter what you do, at least the training gives you a shot at making it out alive. At the very least the training should teach you to react in the situation instead of simply freezing up. That alone could save your life.

This Sonnon guy may be a fantastic grappler in his own right, but what I saw in that video was shit. One would be stomper slowed down his stomp because the demonstrator wasn't ready for him. Fucking stupid ass bullshit.

Let's get one thing straight too, if you have three grown men intent on stomping your ass into oblivion, they will. You're fucked. And none of the bs in that video will change it.

That looks like pure bullshit to me. Looks like Russian Systema, I was actually stupid enough to purchase those tapes.

Back