Wanderlei vs. Stann

MayhemMonkey22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
haven't been on in a while...but I'm always staying in touch within the world of MMA/UFC. So upon hearing that Silva/Stann will headline a fairly stacked FUEL TV 8 card (stacked by most FUEL card standards). It leads me to ask, who wins and why?

From a purely fanatical standpoint I'm extremely excited about this fight (as I am about the entire card) seeing as I'm a Wanderlei fan no matter what. So I'd love to see Wand take it, but truthfully I see him have slightly less chance (than he might-of when this was first rumored roughly 2 years ago) of pulling this upset over Stann. Stann is a very solid wrestler, but he isn't the Jon Fitch Chael Sonnen type wretler that will just lay on you and just pepper you will "low power" shots, he's more likely to stand and trade leather with you whilst landing heavy hands.

I see this fight ending in a ko/tko victory for Stann (I really hope I'm wrong on this one), seeing as Wand will more than likely bring him into a stand-up battle where I see Stann's power being too much for Wandy.

Thoughts?

I see this fight going the same way you do, TS.

im having a tough time trying to think of a scenario where wand wins.

Bad fight for Wand.

Not excited about this fight for Wand as it will probably be his last. The nice thing is that if he gets ko'd and loses he will retire in Japan (more than likely be retired by the UFC) where he first cemeted his legacy. He has a good record with only 3 losses in the land of the rising sun so hopefully that will help.

Exact same fight as when he fought Leben.

Wand is great - an all time great - but in a contest of chins, he just can't win anymore.

Stann by 1st round KO.

Stann is going to knock him out brutally, in my opinion.

I love wand, but he is fucked imo.

haven't been on in a while...but I'm always staying in touch within the world of MMA/UFC. So upon hearing that Silva/Stann will headline a fairly stacked FUEL TV 8 card (stacked by most FUEL card standards). It leads me to ask, who wins and why?

From a purely fanatical standpoint I'm extremely excited about this fight (as I am about the entire card) seeing as I'm a Wanderlei fan no matter what. So I'd love to see Wand take it, but truthfully I see him have slightly less chance (than he might-of when this was first rumored roughly 2 years ago) of pulling this upset over Stann. Stann is a very solid wrestler, but he isn't the Jon Fitch Chael Sonnen type wretler that will just lay on you and just pepper you will "low power" shots, he's more likely to stand and trade leather with you whilst landing heavy hands.

I see this fight ending in a ko/tko victory for Stann (I really hope I'm wrong on this one), seeing as Wand will more than likely bring him into a stand-up battle where I see Stann's power being too much for Wandy.

Thoughts?

wand is done . he had a great career but its over for him

Thoughts?

me too. Wand probably cannot keep up with him if they stand & bang.

Stann is the latest Sakara - they figured out he cannot beat good well rounded guys, so they give him guys who bang. it will keep him in the top 10 for awhile probably, and more importantly, increase interest.

and yes, they love his back story.

this is a bad fight for we all Wanderlei fans, but as true fans do, I'll still be rooting for him and believing the upset.

Wish this fight wasn't happening :(

Agreed. The only way Silva wins this is if he goes in with a grappling game plan and we all know that isn't happening. Stann by vicious KO.

Depends if Wand gets caught flush on the chin, there is just nothing left there to take a punch well.

I am scared every time that Wand fights, but I think Stann is overrated due to the Leben fight. Wand usually gets a good punch in his fights, so I see the Jackson fighter playing it safe and mixing in striking and wrestling to win a decision.

I am scared every time that Wand fights, but I think Stann is overrated due to the Leben fight. Wand usually gets a good punch in his fights, so I see the Jackson fighter playing it safe and mixing in striking and wrestling to win a decision.

To the best of my knowledge Stann doesn't train primarily at jackson's now right? i Think he is mostly based out of his own camp in Georgia. But i have been out of the loop for a while so i could be wrong. Also Stann has never been much for playing it safe most of his fights which he wins are finishes ....In fact prior to Bisping his last fight which went to decision was when phil davis wrestled him to death in early 2010

A GREAT matchup except most fight fans like both guys! I'm picking Stann by 1st rd. KO in the round of the year! I hope it goes longer than 1, but I think Wandy's chin is at the level of later days Chck Liddell, and that ain't good! Could be Wandy's last fight.

me too. Wand probably cannot keep up with him if they stand & bang.

Stann is the latest Sakara - they figured out he cannot beat good well rounded guys, so they give him guys who bang. it will keep him in the top 10 for awhile probably, and more importantly, increase interest.

and yes, they love his back story.

losses to sonnen and bisping
wins over leben and santiago
yep, pretty accurate there.

Back