News Wallid Ismail: Paulo Costa will remain in the Middleweight Division

svmr_db

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
After the controversy that ensued when he faced Marvin Vettori one division above their contracted agreement at UFC Fight Night 196 last October, Paulo Costa was informed by Dana White that his next promotional appearance would be in the light heavyweight division.

However, according to Costa’s manager, Wallid Ismail, the UFC president has since changed his mind.

“The UFC is not the biggest fighting company in the world by chance,” Ismail told Sherdog.com. “They know that ‘Borrachinha’ was injured and that's why he had problems with his weight. There is no doubt his next fight will take place in the middleweight division.”

Ismail says Costa is currently waiting for the UFC’s call to decide when the former middleweight title challenger will return.

“We will fight whoever the UFC decides. I keep believing that ‘Borrachinha’ will be the champion,” Ismail said. “He just has to train right. His biggest problem is that he trains too much. If he trains correctly, I have no doubt no one in that division can beat him.”

Ismail also denied the rumors that Priscila Cachoeira might be released by the UFC following the controversial eye-gouging incident that occurred during her loss to Gillian Robertson at UFC 269. Cachoeira was criticized for what appeared to be an eye poke during an attempt to escape what turned out to be a fight-ending rear-naked choke from Robertson in the first round.

“It was cowardice from the press and everyone who attacked her. She didn't put her finger in the opponent's eye on purpose,” Ismail said. “She just tried to push her away in the heat of the fight. People who work in the UFC come from the fighting business, they know what I mean. We are already talking about her next fight and Priscila will return to win column.”

Remaining at MW is one thing, but making weight for MW is another thing

giphy.webp

He beat 3 names. One of whom was 42 and is on a 1-5 slide. Another has looked awful since USADA testing came in and is on a 3-5 slide. And the other is a perennial gatekeeper. I'd say he was never as good at fighting as he was at making excuses about fighting.

I think the UFC disagrees. Not gonna listen to what his manager has to say there. That’s not his decision

Feed Costa to Strickland! The butthurt on here would be awesome to see lol.

I think the UFC disagrees. Not gonna listen to what his manager has to say there. That’s not his decision
To be fair, UFC could very well agree. Not that it's his call, but the UFC did agree to make his last fight a non MW fight.

I remember when Costa had a bunch of fans here that said he would rule the MW division and probably win the LHW title too lol

Now he has like zero fans seemingly. Good ol fairweather fans.
I don't think he lost most fans for losing. After his loss against Izzy, many still supported him. But he rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way by seemingly working a weight cut scam prior to his fight with Vettori.

I can never get enough of that interview he gave approx 15 years ago it still lives with me and almost bursted out my lungs due to laughters first time I listented to it. He can be extremely hilarious when he wants to

Back