Wal-Mart announces 10,000+ layoffs within days of publicizing bonuses from GOP tax bill

They're all propaganda. It has nothing to do with Trump being God or Satan. For me, it's entirely about the absurd willingness of people to believe that normal business decisions are suddenly extraordinary business decisions because they want to believe in a political motivation for them.

Walmart, FedEX, Target, etc. have all given bonuses to their employees before. Investment in the U.S. has been creeping up for years - Exxon is good example. They announced a huge wave of investment...in local projects that they acquired within the last few years and have been planning to upgrade since they acquired them. The "investment" they announced was bound to happen no matter who was in office because the acquisitions required it. I've got a good friend at Exxon, has been an exec there for years. They don't make such decisions in a matter of 2-3 months.

That's not saying that Obama deserves credit for it, it's a simple acknowledgement that crediting the tax cuts for multibillion dollar decisions by international companies is absurd since it suggests that these companies are making these massive balance sheet affecting decisions in a matter of weeks and not months or years. We have business owners on this board, I'd be very surprised if a large percentage of their capital outlay decisions are made in 4-6 weeks (meaning the idea, the research on impact, the studies, etc. and the final decision to proceed).
I agree. But I also believe there is another side who will not give credit to him for anything for political reason. And those folks are just as wrong and absurd as those people you speak of

But hey, I'm not expecting either side to admit they are absurd in their thinking. Humans don't like to think of themselves as absurd

I used to catch shoplifters there. We had our best year yet with stats, coupled with good sales. For our troubles, the loss prevention staff was reduced. I luckily kept my job, but i honestly coukdnt understand why theyd do that under those conditions. Now i was catching crooks with out help, putting me at a safety risk.

Got out while i could. They now cant touch people stealing, so if anyone wants to go there to steal...

Well I don't know the details. I just know from what I see in real life. The only Walmart I've seen close recently was because it was an old store. They relocated with a supecenter Walmart like 1 mile away from the one they closed.

I've personally never been in a Walmart that wasn't packed. It hard to even find parking spot at my local Walmart. All of the Walmarts I've seen here in the Midwest are thriving

I've been to many in CA. And rarely packed unless holiday time. Always just a few people in line

The point is tying these events into the tax cut as if they have some sort of genuine cause and effect. They don’t.

They're all propaganda. It has nothing to do with Trump being God or Satan. For me, it's entirely about the absurd willingness of people to believe that normal business decisions are suddenly extraordinary business decisions because they want to believe in a political motivation for them.

Walmart, FedEX, Target, etc. have all given bonuses to their employees before. Investment in the U.S. has been creeping up for years - Exxon is good example. They announced a huge wave of investment...in local projects that they acquired within the last few years and have been planning to upgrade since they acquired them. The "investment" they announced was bound to happen no matter who was in office because the acquisitions required it. I've got a good friend at Exxon, has been an exec there for years. They don't make such decisions in a matter of 2-3 months.

That's not saying that Obama deserves credit for it, it's a simple acknowledgement that crediting the tax cuts for multibillion dollar decisions by international companies is absurd since it suggests that these companies are making these massive balance sheet affecting decisions in a matter of weeks and not months or years. We have business owners on this board, I'd be very surprised if a large percentage of their capital outlay decisions are made in 4-6 weeks (meaning the idea, the research on impact, the studies, etc. and the final decision to proceed).

Something you said is just not right here. I invest in companies. Not mutual funds or ETFs. Single company stocks. EVERY ONE of my stocks came out with the advantages or disadvantages the company would see due to the new tax bracket.

Some of the stats I saw were staggering! 100s of millions in savings. They also went into detail how some would be spent. Stock buybacks, R&D, employee wage increases or bonuses or paying down of debt

There is no doubt in my mind SOME bonuses and Wage increases are being implemented and I also have no doubt some are companies trying to look good. We've had posters who rarely post in here say they received 1 time bonuses (a first) from the company(small business) they worked for. With their employer stating the tax cut being a reason. Those guys are not absurd.

I agree. But I also believe there is another side who will not give credit to him for anything for political reason. And those folks are just as wrong and absurd as those people you speak of

But hey, I'm not expecting either side to admit they are absurd in their thinking. Humans don't like to think of themselves as absurd

I disagree on that but mostly because, to my thinking, he hasn't done anything that he deserves credit for. Signing off on longstanding GOP policy directions isn't something he should get credit for. I don't credit the tax cut for these business announcements but I don't even credit him for the tax cuts because the GOP has been pushing to get this done for a few years at this point.

And I'm sure you'll take umbrage at this but what has he done that wasn't already the GOP's policy goal?

Something you said is just not right here. I invest in companies. Not mutual funds or ETFs. Single company stocks. EVERY ONE of my stocks came out with the advantages or disadvantages the company would see due to the new tax bracket.

Some of the stats I saw were staggering! 100s of millions in savings. They also went into detail how some would be spent. Stock buybacks, R&D, employee wage increases or bonuses or paying down of debt

There is no doubt in my mind SOME bonuses and Wage increases are being implemented and I also have no doubt some are companies trying to look good. We've had posters who rarely post in here say they received 1 time bonuses (a first) from the company(small business) they worked for. With their employer stating the tax cut being a reason. Those guys are not absurd.

Sure and my broker sends me a letter every couple of months explaining how he thinks the stock market will respond to information in the news.

But what's happening in the stock market is not where/how decisions in the boardroom are getting made. I never said that the new tax rate wouldn't yield benefits to corporations. What I've been saying is that these announcements for these decisions are pure propaganda because companies aren't making billion dollar decisions in the short amount of time between the passage of the legislation and the announcement of these choices. I've haven't read all of them but most of the announcements are just window dressing on decisions that the companies had previously committed to, even if we didn't have timelines on implementation.

Seriously go into a Walmart stand in line then go to a Costco and stand in line. It's night and day. Walmart employees don't give a shit
I agree, the typical Wal Mart employee gives zero fucks.

God forbid you ask them where something is located.
Home Depot they will walk you there or the look it up and take you there.

I may pay a little more, but if I have to do a box store then it is Target.
Groceries it is Publix or Trader Joes. A little more expensive again, but Wal Mart vegetables go bad way quicker than any other grocery store.
The other thing is most Wal Marts are so dirty they look like the bathroom in Trainspotting.

I thought this was already talked about in the WR. Might just be me remembering it being talked about else where. Not really a good look for Walmart, but is to be expected with their other shady business dealings of the past.

Several other companies handed out bonuses and then layoffs. You're probably thinking about one of them.

Several other companies handed out bonuses and then layoffs. You're probably thinking about one of them.

Maybe so, I was aware of Sam's clubs closing for a while now though. It's still messed up to use the bonuses as cover for the layoffs.

I haven't used a Walmart human cashier in quite a long time. I always use self checkout, and the helper can help you scan to donate for hurricane relief.

Where the bloomin hell are you going to Walmart at, Juarez? Don't typically shop at Walmart but have been to many Walmarts on my road trips and occasionally step into my local Walmart, cause they are 24hrs. Never felt even the slightest bit of anxiety. All the people at the Walmarts here are indistinguishable from the average person one finds at Kroger , Home Depot or BestBuy

Not very safe around here.
Authorities say a police officer fatally shot a hatchet-wielding woman inside a western Wisconsin Wal-Mart store.

Chippewa County Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk says the developmentally-disabled woman was shopping Friday with chaperones at the Wal-Mart in Lake Hallie, which is between Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. Police were called around 5 p.m. after she grabbed a hatchet off a shelf and began swinging it around.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...almart-shooting-wisconsin-20160409-story.html

Old news it’s been talked about in December

This is Sams club stuff. Yes, Walmart owned, but Wally is accepting the loss to Costco on the bulk warehouse and shutting that entire unit down. This ain’t layoffs from Walmart stores themselves

Sure and my broker sends me a letter every couple of months explaining how he thinks the stock market will respond to information in the news.

But what's happening in the stock market is not where/how decisions in the boardroom are getting made. I never said that the new tax rate wouldn't yield benefits to corporations. What I've been saying is that these announcements for these decisions are pure propaganda because companies aren't making billion dollar decisions in the short amount of time between the passage of the legislation and the announcement of these choices. I've haven't read all of them but most of the announcements are just window dressing on decisions that the companies had previously committed to, even if we didn't have timelines on implementation.

Jeez. These are released from the company. Signed on by the CEO, CFO

These are statements from the companies themselves to their shareholders. I doubt they would lie in these statements.

I don't think your mind can change on this no matter what you are shown. You believe ALL announcements are propoganda and we will just have to agree to disagree

I disagree on that but mostly because, to my thinking, he hasn't done anything that he deserves credit for. Signing off on longstanding GOP policy directions isn't something he should get credit for. I don't credit the tax cut for these business announcements but I don't even credit him for the tax cuts because the GOP has been pushing to get this done for a few years at this point.

And I'm sure you'll take umbrage at this but what has he done that wasn't already the GOP's policy goal?

But weren't you the TRUE GOP and he hijacked it? If he's just implementing GOP policies you should love him

I'm a libertarian. So GOP economic policy I'm sort of ok with. I actually supported him because of his non intervention rhetoric though.

Jeez. These are released from the company. Signed on by the CEO, CFO

These are statements from the companies themselves to their shareholders. I doubt they would lie in these statements.

I don't think your mind can change on this no matter what you are shown. You believe ALL announcements are propoganda and we will just have to agree to disagree
Are you actually being serious right now?

Are you actually being serious right now?

Unless they want a class action lawsuit
over something small like this. Just doesn't make sense. I mean it's not like they took a unverified dossier and took it to a court in order to spy on political opponents. That's the type of shit you would lie about.

Unless they want a class action lawsuit
over something small like this. Just doesn't make sense. I mean it's not like they took a unverified dossier and took it to a court in order to spy on political opponents. That's the type of shit you would lie about.
So, your position is that there is no way that the companies are lying about the tax cuts being the impetus for bonuses/wage increases? It's impossible that they're spinning already planned business moves as a result of a tax cut that they heavily favored?

Just to be crystal clear, this is your actual position?

Back