Vulkan Pro Light Gi Competition-Usable?

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Are these gis too light for competition-- are they not allowed? Part of the reason I ask is because a) having such a light gi allows you to cut a little less weight, if you have to weigh in with the gi, and b) because on their own product description they say:
"Vulkan gis are made of Honey Comb Weaved Fabric and Rubber Lapel providing lightness, quality and faster drying. Superlight, It weights about 2.8 lbs . Vulkan gi's are the lightest gi in the market today.Great Gi for everyday training and especially for those hot summer days!!!"

They don't mention competition use. Is their any reason I wouldn't be allowed to wear a Vulkan during competition?

What're the general rules about competition? Can I wear a red or yellow gi?

Thanks guys!

Not sure if it's legal by IBJJF standards but it's an awesome gi. I tried one on at the OTM store that just opened by my old house and definitely want to pick one up. Super light and very soft.

I'm pretty sure they're legal, but only the white, blue and black one. Red and yellow and those with different color lapels aren't comp legal.

they are surely legit and once of the most comfortable light weight gi around!

why wouldnt they be legal? They meet all the IBJJF requirements (color and material).

That said, I have competed in it numerous times...

As for the weight, its only a pound or so lighter than most gis. its not like its a kauai ripstop gi lol

I wore a Blue Vulkan Pro Light for the SC state tourney in 2007 and nobody seemed to have any issue with it. I'm not sure if high level tournaments have any problem with it but I doubt they would.

And I have definitely seen guys compete in both yellow and red.

I have as well, but I have seen guys turned away for them too. At the US Open and the American Cup (both are IBJJF sanctioned events) they are VERY strict.

Yeah I've done IBJJF events in mine. Just get a white one, especially since you'll mainly be using it to compete in. Blue might be allowed, but I can't confirm that.

Back