Volkov: Bellator wants showmen like Kimbo Slice, not fighters

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Following back-to-back losses to Tony Johnson and Cheick Kongo, Volkov found himself out of the promotion, something he said was a surprise. In fact, Volkov said that he heard about his release through the news, not from any Bellator official.

“Just after the two losses, we had a talk with Bellator,” Volkov told MMAjunkie. “They told us that everything was OK, to continue life as a Bellator fighter. But after some months, I received news that I was fired from the organization. I heard it on the news, not from the organization itself. I really think that the organization wants to have other people like (Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson) who are showmen, not fighters. My main problem is the lack of PR and marketing – a lack of attention within the U.S. market.”

Volkov has signed a two-fight deal with Russian promotion M-1 and will compete for the heavyweight title against Denis Smoldarev (11-1) at M-1 Challenge 64, which takes place Feb. 19 at Olympic Sports Complex in Moscow.

While his sights are set on capturing a new belt and figuring out his next move, the 27-year-old can’t seem to get past his frustration over Ferguson’s place in Bellator.

“By no means do I think (Kimbo Slice is) a professional,” Volkov said. “I really think that it’s wrong to put on shows like that. I think that every MMA fan knows that neither Kimbo or his opponent would have a chance against me inside a cage. It’s not sports. This is a pure show, and sports lose out from that sort of thing.”

One of Volkov’s biggest career victories was his Bellator 120 win over Blagoy Ivanov. It was Ivanov’s lone career defeat and he has since moved on to capture the WSOF heavyweight title.

When asked about his interest level in a rematch, Volkov said he has his sights on bigger career goals.

“Right now, frankly, I’m more interested in a UFC belt, out of the American organizations,” he said. “I’ll think about my career after I fulfill my two fights in M-1. The UFC is the target, of course. But I don’t want to go there as just another fighter. I want to go there with a meaningful belt. I’m a young fighter, and I wish to take two steps forward, not two steps back. I want to move my career forward.”

tumblr_m0du9eTeXi1qi5jk5o7_400.gif

that's beyond fucked up if he really found out through the news.

i like watching him ufc should go after the man they need every HW they can get

They need someone who sells fights or knows how to defend TDs..sorry Volkov

He's a 27 year old, not as beat up, a bit smaller struve. If he wins this fight he should try to jump to the ufc. They've been signing hws like crazy lately and he's better than half of them.

Them hiring Kimbo has nothing to do with him. I think Kimbo has done a good job promoting Bellator. Honestly, he had nine fights there and fought most of the HW roster.

At least he wasn't cut at 1-1 like some. He had a good run, fought most of the division. He should drop to LHW, way too stringy and weak for HW.

Volkov would break Kimbo's knees. But still he can't defend a takedown to save his life against some other opponents. Should eat some horse meat to get bigger.

He's a 27 year old, not as beat up, a bit smaller struve. If he wins this fight he should try to jump to the ufc. They've been signing hws like crazy lately and he's better than half of them.

if he can beat Smoldarev and Delija, yeah I think UFC can sign him, his TDD is bad but he is athletic and can fight the whole 3 rounds

At least he wasn't cut at 1-1 like some. He had a good run, fought most of the division. He should drop to LHW, way too stringy and weak for HW.
he is tall as hell, should just put around 15 lbs of quality mass

he needs some more mass and a solid takedown defence but the guy is only 27 years old and allready has a verry decent resume.

with the right training and guidance he could be a serious force in the hw division. a real shame Bellator let him go.

Last edited:
Go to Russia and practice the TDD....

You know if UFC signed him they put in him with Rosholt or someone like that right away.

Like everyone else is saying, he better work on his wrestling

Jesus, did this get posted in the Heavyweight sub-forum? All the shit responses have me fooled.

Volkov is a HW with some talent under 30 years old; letting him go walks a fine line between retarded and foolish. But who's surprised? Bellator has zero interest in showcasing homegrown talent anymore.

He needs to work on his TDD, that's for sure, but there's no reason he couldn't have been doing that in Bellator.

Volkov would be a solid signing for Ufcs Hw division.

Fights with Struve, Browne, Tybura, Suffer would be fun

He has a point, but right now he should focus on Smoldarev, I son't think that it's going to be an easy fight for him.

Did he not just fully admit to losing twice?

If they didn't want fighters, they would have kept him on board. Kevin might not be top level talent, but he does go out there and fight. I consider him a real Fighter, just not high level.

So this guy disproved his own statement in the first few lines.

He lost, they fired him, so clearly they want fighters that win.

He lost, they fired him, so clearly they want fighters that win.

They told him he's gonna continue fighting then all of a sudden he gets cut.
He was 2 times HWGP champion.
Deserves more respect if you ask me.

Back