Volk, islam and legacy

RonDante

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How much does losing to islam again affect volks legacy, and vice versa?

if volk loses to islam
-1.5 weeks notice
-featherweight sized going up against a lightweight sized fighter
-surgery 5 weeks ago
-wasn’t preparing for islams style, not in a full camp
-up a division

if islam loses to volk
-didn’t have time to prepare for volks style, but was still in a full camp
-1.5 weeks notice
-losing to a smaller man

So I ask, is it more acceptable for volk to lose, will it affect his legacy that much?
And how bad would a loss to volk be for islam?

discuss!

It will definitely hurt Volks legacy if he loses. And he loses the opportunity then for a proper rematch, which would be important for enhancing his legacy. Really dumb fight, but I guess he's getting a big pay day.

Volk is the only one building a legacy here..

Islam is just existing and will potentially have 2 defenses against a FW lol...

They should honest just make it a 5 rounder main event no title but Volk probably wouldn't get on a plane unless it's for the title so good for him...

Can we just hope to watch a good fight with hearing and arguing about legacy or GOAT? Seems like when there’s a big fight, Sherdog has to think it’s an All-in hand to determine the faith of mankind.

It will definitely affect Volk's legacy. I really hope he gets it done but it's gonna be very hard and I don't like his chances here. I don't know why he's doing this. Let Gamrot fight Islam. Defend your title against Topuria and then move up again. Dana is okay with that. I love his spirit but this is such a bad career decision.

I love his spirit but this is such a bad career decision.
Volk is 35 dude and you just never know what will happen, maybe he loses to Top or maybe Islam loses to someone else, the opportunity arose and Volk took it. I don't think it's a big deal if he loses, he can still continue his GOAT FW run.

Volk is 35 dude and you just never know what will happen, maybe he loses to Top or maybe Islam loses to someone else, the opportunity arose and Volk took it. I don't think it's a big deal if he loses, he can still continue his GOAT FW run.
The opportunity was there like 2 months ago. That's the other thing. They offered this fight to Volk and he didn't take it, so they went with Charles instead. It's just baffling... why is he accepting this fight now? Why didn't he accept this fight when they first offered him and have a full training camp? Either Volk knows something we don't or he just said "Fuck it, YOLO!" without thinking.

The opportunity was there like 2 months ago. That's the other thing. They offered this fight to Volk and he didn't take it, so they went with Charles instead. It's just baffling... why is he accepting this fight now? Why didn't he accept this fight when they first offered him and have a full training camp? Either Volk knows something we don't or he just said "Fuck it, YOLO!" without thinking.
What?

Volk was never offered this fight, he said he was having surgery after his fight with Yair so the UFC never considered him and went with Charles, never did the UFC offer him a rematch.

I feel like the short notice matters for both parties but Volk winning is huge. Not only is it belts in 2 weight classes but he'd be the oldest LW champ in UFC history and is already the oldest FW champ in UFC history. Also beating a guy on a 12 fight win streak with only 1 loss who is generally super dominant like Islam is a pretty huge deal.

You kind of answered your own question with the list of excuses.

Volk didn't have surgery 5 weeks ago, it will be more than 3 months since minor surgery for some small nagging thing that he was already fighting with for a year, and he's already been back to full contact training for almost 2 months.

You also listed the "he's just a little guy" twice. Volk doesn't have to bulk up for LW, that's his normal size and he has to diet down to be able to make FW. I believe he's usually mid-low 160s at FW, and said before the last Islam fight that he was planning on being around 172 in the cage. That's probably about where he'd normally be anyway without having to diet down, so he'll probably be roughly the same size as last time.

What?

Volk was never offered this fight, he said he was having surgery after his fight with Yair so the UFC never considered him and went with Charles, never did the UFC offer him a rematch.
They offered Volk a rematch before the Yair fight but Volk didn't accept it, said he didn't wanna hold up the division and fought Yair. After that, Charles didn't want to fight in Abu Dhabi again so they were trying to find an opponent for Islam. Islam mentioned moving up to WW and then Volk poked him. Islam responded and said take the fight:

Volk couldn't accept it because he just had a surgery (it's the same timeline tho and he accepts a short notice fight! brain fart). Then Oliveira accepts the fight and the rest is history.

Ok yeah but that was before there was a set date, the UFC never actually offered a fight per se, just said that if he wanted the rematch if would be at the end of the year and obviously Volk wanted to remain active and defend his belt not wanting to hold up the FW division.

If you want to be a legend you need to do legendary things. Nate Diaz stepped up on 11 days notice and finished Conor McGregor.

It only counts for Volk, even more so now. Islam can never get credit strangely. It's the main reason I don't like the matchup. You won't see Islam p4p #1 after even if he wins quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back