• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vitor vs. Hendo stoppage?

Can anybody honestly say that this fight deserved to be stopped over the Cain/JDS 2 fight? I understand refs make mistakes but people thought that wasn't nearly as bad as I did. To me allowing JDS to fight and not Hendo is a bit strange.

On one hand you have a point, JDS vs Velasquez 2 should probably have been stopped. BUT JDS wasn't KO:d, and he didn't take a hard kick square in the face. The kick Vitor landed was absolutely brutal. No way in hell he was coming back after that.

Hendo was way more out then Fedor was in their fight.

i see there's a little over 200 Hendo nuthuggers in this thread.

Also, there's no amount of leg grabbing in the world that was going to stop Vitor from turning Dan into Matt Lindland at that point.

Big Dan saved Hendo's life, lol

Hendo is clearly defending himself and has Vitors right leg clasped and had his feet up (not flat, as a person who had been actually knocked out would suggest).

Just a reflex when he felt Vitors legs close to him. Same as Jon Fitch trying to take down Mazzagati after Hendricks dropped him. It doesnt mean Fitch wasnt out and they should have let him continue.

Also, there's no amount of leg grabbing in the world that was going to stop Vitor from turning Dan into Matt Lindland at that point.

Big Dan saved Hendo's life, lol

I agree with this. Nobody wants to see a 43 year old man get planted on the mat.

I see a few posters saying "if it was anyone but Hendo" but if we're factoring in the fighter's history why not factor in the fact that Vitor is a monster when his opponent is hurt? Hendo was done and it was a good stoppage.

I'm not sure why you quoted my post, was this a reply, because it doesn't seem to relate to anything I said.

just wondering if I'm missing a point.

I quoted you because you seemed to be like minded, and I was wondering what you and others thought. Lol my bad.

On one hand you have a point, JDS vs Velasquez 2 should probably have been stopped. BUT JDS wasn't KO:d, and he didn't take a hard kick square in the face. The kick Vitor landed was absolutely brutal. No way in hell he was coming back after that.

You know that's fair enough. I wasn't really too upset with this stoppage to begin with but that makes sense.

Nope, just realists who know the ref butchered the fight with that garbage premature stoppage

If it was anyone other than Hendo on the receiving end of that kick no one would be saying a word about a bad stoppage.

Anyone but Hendo it would have been fine, but Hendo had his ankle, Vitor may still have won but we were robbed of what could have been an epic fight.

Not going to complain too much though he got dropped hard twice.

I think it was more a wrestler's instinct kicking in. Sometimes fighters get knocked out but proceeds to take the opponent down (or the ref at times :icon_lol:)

So, he grabs Vitor's ankle after getting dropped, pounded, headkicked....what was he going to do with it? :wink:

Hendo looked like he got shot in the head point blank upon that kick landing. I don't blame Miragliotta for stopping it there.

My thoughts on the stoppage:

1) It was a totally legit stoppage from the ref; Hendo took a huge punch, a few other punches on the ground, and a huge kick to the jaw which ended with his knees giving out, his arms dropping and his body going limp. (All of this in only a few seconds)

2) That being said, Hendo is one of a very few fighters that I wouldn't count totally out in this circumstance. If the ref had let it go, it's not unreasonable that he would have been able to come to and put up some defense (though it seemed unlikely).

All in all, I think it's a completely legit stoppage. It reminds me a bit of Hendo's fight against Fedor, although a bit less controversial. Could Fedor have turned it around? Absolutely. Was it legit for the ref to step in? For sure. I don't know if Hendo was "out," but he sure as hell was not properly defending himself.

Back