Vitamin Timing, and Cycle Order

Rowan11088

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have two questions (totally unrelated), that I feel haven't quite been cleared up in the FAQ's or other threads...but please direct me to anything that directly answers either one that I missed.

1) I just ordered some high quality multivitamins, the NOW Adam Men's formula, details in here:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=679835

When should I take this during the day to optimize absorption? I've often heard that you should take these types of things on an empty stomach to help that, but I've also heard that you should take multi's after a meal so they don't just pass through you...obviously one of these is correct, but I'm not sure :)

2) More generally, in June when I officially start training for MMA (I'm a varsity rower right now), I want to start by working on my body composition and muscle mass. Is it easier/more effective to put on muscle first, and then lose fat? Or to minimize body fat and then increase muscle while keeping fat levels as constant as possible? I'm leaning towards the first, but maybe that's just because I'm anxious to get jacked :)

Hey guys, I have two questions (totally unrelated), that I feel haven't quite been cleared up in the FAQ's or other threads...but please direct me to anything that directly answers either one that I missed.

1) I just ordered some high quality multivitamins, the NOW Adam Men's formula, details in here:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=679835

When should I take this during the day to optimize absorption? I've often heard that you should take these types of things on an empty stomach to help that, but I've also heard that you should take multi's after a meal so they don't just pass through you...obviously one of these is correct, but I'm not sure :)

It's more a matter of personal preference, but one fact stands to reason: fat helps with absorption of micronutrients. So, in light of that, take 'em with a meal, preferably one that includes good quality fats.

2) More generally, in June when I officially start training for MMA (I'm a varsity rower right now), I want to start by working on my body composition and muscle mass. Is it easier/more effective to put on muscle first, and then lose fat? Or to minimize body fat and then increase muscle while keeping fat levels as constant as possible? I'm leaning towards the first, but maybe that's just because I'm anxious to get jacked :)

Don't even bother worrying about it; just go to the gym and work intensely. Your dietary habits, current BF%, body type and carb tolerance, type of training, intensity of training and frequency of training will all go into what happens with your body comp.

Positive body comp changes are just a side effect of training in MMA, not the main goal.

positive body comp changes are just a side effect of training in MMA, not the main goal.

This was my experience. When I started training BJJ I was pretty flabby. After about a month of hell-like training sessions my body fat decreased and my muscle mass increased. I didn't feel like I was trying to do this; it just happened.

Hard Work == Positive Results

I'd definitely take a multi and some minerals after your workout. With Adam, I don't think you need an extra mineral supplement, although NOW sells a cheap one so I take one anyway.

Just throwing this out there:

1. What about fiber impairing absorbtion?

2. I read somewhere that taking your multi with a full stomach of something starchy like oatmeal impairs the absorbtion of the nutrients because the oatmeal supposedly acts as a charcoal-like substance. This seems stupid to me, because even if the oatmeal somehow took in vitamins and minerals, wouldn't they be absorbed by your body later anyway when it digests the oatmeal? Thoughts?

Just throwing this out there:

1. What about fiber impairing absorbtion?

I'd rather substitute impaired for delayed; I don't think this is really a factor, though. A meal containing significant amounts of dietary insoluble and soluble fiber with slow down digestion, and if a multi is taken during this time, theoretically it could enhance absorption. In the end, though, it probably doesn't make a whole pile of difference.

2. I read somewhere that taking your multi with a full stomach of something starchy like oatmeal impairs the absorbtion of the nutrients because the oatmeal supposedly acts as a charcoal-like substance. This seems stupid to me, because even if the oatmeal somehow took in vitamins and minerals, wouldn't they be absorbed by your body later anyway when it digests the oatmeal? Thoughts?

I'm thinking "no" on this one; I've never heard of oatmeal acting like charcoal; activated charcoal is a highly porous material that DOES absorb pretty much everything it comes into contact with; oatmeal is...well, oatmeal; a grain that gets broken down like everything else.

Good questions, though, X, as always.

just on the topic of vitamins
am I crazy to be taking 10 GNC mega greens pills each day?

just on the topic of vitamins
am I crazy to be taking 10 GNC mega greens pills each day?

Yes. I take the same kind and I only take 2 with breakfast. No need for 10.

Since there's already a few unrelated questions here, I'll ask one of my own. Whats with the Aussie Death Carriage Avs?

I'd rather substitute impaired for delayed; I don't think this is really a factor, though. A meal containing significant amounts of dietary insoluble and soluble fiber with slow down digestion, and if a multi is taken during this time, theoretically it could enhance absorption. In the end, though, it probably doesn't make a whole pile of difference.

I'm thinking "no" on this one; I've never heard of oatmeal acting like charcoal; activated charcoal is a highly porous material that DOES absorb pretty much everything it comes into contact with; oatmeal is...well, oatmeal; a grain that gets broken down like everything else.

Good questions, though, X, as always.

This was all I could find at the moment. See #4. Now, granted, it's a TC article, not Berardi, Cosgrove, or the like, but there's usually at least a kernal of truth to things like this.
http://a-musing-me.blogspot.com/2007/06/t-nation-truths.html

Back