Vitamin A & C: How much is too much?

axecutioner

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I know these are great antioxidants and that it's beneficial to take more than the USDA prescribed amount, but at what level do they become toxic? The GNC Mega Men Gold multi-vitamin I take contains several hundred times the USDA perscribed amount of Vitamin A & C. On top of that I drink carrot juice which also has several hundred times the USDA prescribed amount. Am I doing harm to myself?

to my knowledge.. u get vitamin A from carrot juice thru carotenoids like beta-carotene.. and beta-carotene is non-toxic so u can take as much as u like.. (i read ur skin can actually turn orange/red from taking in A LOT!!!.. but it goes away after u stop takin in so much)

however, in almost every multi-vitamin, it contains synthetic beta-carotene which actually increases chances of lung cancer in smokers..

as for straight vitamin A.. it's generally recommended that one does NOT exceed 10,000 IU's a day as that's enough to cause birth defects in pregnant women..

You dont need vitamin-pills and such. Keep a good diet instead...

Do not take Vitamin A directly. It is a fat soluable vitamin that your body does not excrete, thus taking excess amounts will accumulate in the body and become toxic after a certain point.

Lard-ass said:
You dont need vitamin-pills and such. Keep a good diet instead...

I think that supplementing your good diet with a multi vitamin can only help you. I have been taking a multi as of late and it has done nothing but good things.

vitamin A 50 000 IU for a extended period of time. or one large dose of 500 000 IU
Vitamin C is not really toxic, but excessive intake of 10 000mg or above will give you diarrhea, skin rashes, but it's gone once you cut back.

vitamin c aint toxic, i take about 3 or 4 grams a day but you can get away with twice that much and still not get any cramps or stomach aches. take ester-C as apoosed to just vitamin-C

FIGHT FAN said:
vitamin c aint toxic, i take about 3 or 4 grams a day but you can get away with twice that much and still not get any cramps or stomach aches. take ester-C as apoosed to just vitamin-C
i don't believe all the hype of ester-c... if u didn't notice, all the good reviews about it are done by the manufacturer..

vitamin C with bioflavanoids are the best

supersudo said:
i don't believe all the hype of ester-c... if u didn't notice, all the good reviews about it are done by the manufacturer..

vitamin C with bioflavanoids are the best

a doctor told me to take ester-c as opposed to just vitamin c considering that it stays in your system longer, if anything i would suggest ester-c with bioflavnoids such as rutin or hespederin, know thats a an effective combo.

I'll see what I can find out about ester C.

As for vitamin C, it's water soluble, so it can be very difficult to build up a toxicity. Vitamin A, on the other hand, is fat soluble, so you should be careful with it. However, even if you follow Mega Man directions you'll get 5-15x the DRI of the FDA and still not endanger yourself, so don't worry about it.

Just don't do the vitamin pill diet.

Back