Vitali vs Briggs October 16 in Hamburg

Kyryllo

Kia kaha e hine!
@Black
Reaction score
Source is the German media.

Discuss.

Well your right about him fighting Briggs, here is a source for the fight.

After Briggs, Klitschko Wants Nikolai Valuev, David Haye - Boxing News

Let me say this fight is a waste of time.Fight like this make me realize why HBO left the Klits out in cold. No way in hell does Briggs have a reasonable chance to win. I wish someone worthy(Adamek,Provetkin,Haye) of a shot would step up and challenge the klilts. Say what yall want to about Arrerola but when he got the first shot he could at one of the champs, he took it. I would rather one of the top guys try and fail then just sit back and wait for one the brother to get old or retire.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as Ratman. Guys are just either straight up avoiding the Klits or are pricing themselves out. HBO did leave them out in the cold but I can kind of understand why. I just wish they hadn't been so underhanded about it. Had they said right off the bat that they couldn't air the fight because it would cost more money than it's worth, I think it would have been a different story.

I cant believe they are making this fight. This is the same briggs that won (lost) George forman.

its really no ones fault, there is just a lack of solid heavyweight contenders.

This fight sucks. Remember Briggs vs. Liakhovich? Shannon Briggs is going to stink up the joint with his inactivity.

Let me say this fight is a waste of time.Fight like this make me realize why HBO left the Klits out in cold.

This isn't that good of a fight, but HBO started pushing the Klitschkos to the side even when they were fighting number one contenders.

This isn't that good of a fight, but HBO started pushing the Klitschkos to the side even when they were fighting number one contenders.

See its not the klits fault but the HW div is so weak and some of those no.1 contenders just werent that good. That is no reflection on the Klits

its not the lack of talent as much as the lack of courage

Ahem Haye. Ahem. I don't think it's a lack of talent at all. The division would be decent without the Klits. They are just leaps and bounds above the rest (at least those who have fought them). Haye is intent on barking and then whimpering back to his dog house when the Klits respond to his goading. I do think that Haye would lose if he fought a Klitschko.

Mark my words. What happens after; is that people shit on Haye and keep going on about how bad the HW division is. Up until the fight, he's a contender. Same thing happened with all of the opposition that has faced them in the last 5 years.

Well your right about him fighting Briggs, here is a source for the fight.

After Briggs, Klitschko Wants Nikolai Valuev, David Haye - Boxing News

Let me say this fight is a waste of time.Fight like this make me realize why HBO left the Klits out in cold. No way in hell does Briggs have a reasonable chance to win. I wish someone worthy(Adamek,Provetkin,Haye) of a shot would step up and challenge the klilts. Say what yall want to about Arrerola but when he got the first shot he could at one of the champs, he took it. I would rather one of the top guys try and fail then just sit back and wait for one the brother to get old or retire.

I don't know Briggs may be old and slow, but the man can still hit, Vitali is a durable guy but he didn't look as dominant as we once was even in pretty much dominating his last opponent.

Lamon Brewster vs. WK 1 was the worst thing that could have happened to the division.

Haye won his title and so far has one defense. The only viable option for him at this point is either one of the Klitschko's. So far the closest he has come (other than the injury setting him back), is donning the t-shirt with the brothers severed heads.

Not sure whether any ducking is going or not, it doesn't really matter truthfully, but if Haye is supposed to be the saviour of the HW division, he needs to fight one or both of them, and it needs to be in the very near future.

On a side note, a friend bet me $50 on Haye in either fight, so I'm looking to get paid!

While Briggs Chin, Heart and Stamina are nowhere near enough to beat either Klit, he does possess something that most of the other contenders like Chambers, Thompson, Austin etc do not have...one punch power. If Briggs can come in, in top condition (which is a stretch, proven by his history) Briggs would be a live dog for 3 rounds or so...That being said, I think Briggs boxes cautiously, wastes his chance which is early power and going for broke, starts to get picked apart around the 3rd or 4th round and gets TKO'ed in the 7th or 8th...he then goes on to blame his asthma or an injury for the loss....

I'd rather see Oliver McCall get the shot. he has a better chin and he can pop too. plus I feel sorry for the guy.

but with the fight in Hamburg you know Briggs' is already in training for excuses (asythma was bad in Germany, food there made me sick, coo-coo clock(glockenspiel?) poked me in the eye night before the fight)

and meanwhile Vitali is getting older and older.

Briggs wanted to fight him because Vitali touched his stomach after he ballooned to over 335 lbs. Briggs said thats what motivated him to come back

I was fat and he touched my stomach. And in that moment right there I decided to come back,'' Briggs said. "He should have left me alone.''

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) -- Former heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs said Monday he would make current WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko his "30-second, first-round victim'' when they meet later this fall.

"That's how a lot of my fights end,'' Briggs said Monday in Kiev.

Klitschko shrugged off the threat, suggesting that the fight on Oct. 16 in Hamburg, Germany, will be a test of his own mental strength.

"The only man who can defeat Vitali Klitschko is Vitali Klitschko,'' he said. But the 39-year-old Ukrainian also admitted, "It will be an amazing, exciting fight, full of drama.''

Briggs is the fourth choice for Klitschko, after Russians Nikolai Valuev and Alexander Povetkin -- and loudmouthed British heavyweight David Haye - refused the bout.

Haye had been calling out Klitschko and his brother Wladimir for months, but ultimately refused to take the fight when if was offered. Povetkin was the mandatory challenger but backed out at the last minute when his team decided he wasn't ready for Klitschko.

Klitschko (40-2) recognized Briggs (51-5-1) as "one of the most serious pretenders to the title.'' Briggs won the WBO title with a 12th-round knockout of Sergei Liakhovich in November 2006, but lost the title in his first defense against Sultan Ibragimov eight months later.

Briggs promoter Gregory Cohen said for the 38-year-old asthmatic from New York this is "essentially his last opportunity, and I am certain he is going to make the most of it.''

Briggs considered retirement in the wake of the Ibragimov defeat, saying he entered a "diet of cookies, doughnuts and fried chicken'' that ballooned him to 335 pounds. It was Klitschko, he said, who inspired his return after the two met in a Los Angeles restaurant.

"I was fat and he touched my stomach. And in that moment right there I decided to come back,'' Briggs said. "He should have left me alone.''

Read more: Shannon Briggs, Vitali Klitschko exchange taunts before bout - SI.com - Boxing

Back