Visualisation in Training

lucid

FTW-champ!
Reaction score
When I am shadow-boxing or hitting the heavy bag, I find I need to get in the right mindset or I just cant hit as hard and fast as to my potential, I visualise that I am facing a real opponent, fighting for my life. What about you guys, thoughts?

You read me like a book, I have to visualize that I'm hitting the shit out of an opponent for me to actually strick hard. I am glad it's not only me that has to do do this.....

it's been proven that your body on a lot of levels cant tell the difference between what you vividly visualize and what you actually do.

msot olympic athletes who have to memorizes courses or tracks or specific motions will replay what they need to do over and over again the end result is they perform almost as well as people who actually do what they are visuallizing..

so i say do it.. do it lots... cuz it works and it helps

lucid said:
so i say do it.. do it lots... cuz it works and it helps

Definatley. I've found previously that I've been really lazy with my visualisation (i'm really only talking about solo-work, when you have a sparring partner it's really easy to get in the mood), and my training has suffered because of this, now I practise in this mind-set everytime and I have noticed great improvement.

Visualization has been a tool of trainers and champion athletes since the 1930s, when the Germans started using it.

And visualization can take many forms. Visualizing an opponent helps. Visualizing yourself deliver crushing blows and wearing his ass out help. Visualizing good technique, or visualizing good movement (I've improved my punching by visualizing my torso as a coiled spring, which I use to spring my fists forward) helps.

Employed properly it can help develop good technique and good attitude, the latter being important in wining fights whether they be in the street or the ring. The mental aspect of your game helps as much as anything; that's what makes champions champions. Their perception is that they're the baddest motherfuckers in the fight, and the perception becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Their perception is that they're the baddest motherfuckers in the fight, and the perception becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hell yes!

Back