Vinyl or Canvas Heavy Bag in a Cold Environment?

datadog

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting a heavy bag, and for space reasons it will need to be put in my unheated garage. I live in Ohio where it can get fairly cold out, zero degrees Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius) is not unheard of here. Usually it's closer to 20-30 (~ -5 to 0 Celsius) in winter. Likewise summers in the garage will easily hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37 Celcius).

So my question is whether a vinyl bag will be okay in those temperatures, or if a canvas bag is the way to go? I'm worried the bag will become bitter from the cold and then tear more easily in winter. I'm also wondering how the vinyl would do in the heat (though I expect a lot of places they are used are as hot).

Thanks!

ps. Looks like I'll be using 9thstreetgym which was mentioned in a thread the other day. A thread from last month mentioned kofightgear.com, but I don't see any heavy bags on their site (that free shipping has to be a pain when you have heavy bags).

My set-up is pretty much the same. Train in my garage year round, vinyl bag, no problems.

I've got a canvas bag cause I hang it outside when using it. I got canvas cause I heard it was more durable, but I've had vinyl in the past and never had any problems

I had a vinyl bag when I was a kid. I used to beat the crap out of that thing in the winter in my dad's garage. I never had a problem.

Cool, thanks for the input guys. Looks like the vinyl 100 pounder it is. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't toast the bag the first winter.

Thanks again.

Back