Vikings Sequel Series VIKINGS: VALHALLA in the Works

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Vikings Sequel Series VIKINGS: VALHALLA Moves from History to Netflix

3p6j3tt.jpg

History's longest-running scripted original will continue with a new series — but on Netflix. The streaming giant on Tuesday announced it has handed out a straight-to-series order for the drama Vikings: Valhalla, a continuation of creator Michael Hirst's show Vikings. Netflix has picked up a whopping 24 episodes of the series. It's unclear if those will be split into two, 12-episode seasons or air as a super-sized one.

Vikings: Valhalla picks up 100 years after the History series and dramatizes the adventures of the most famous Vikings who ever lived — Leif Erikson, Freydis, Harald Harada and the Norman King William the Conqueror (also a Viking descendant). These men and women will blaze new paths as they fight for survival in an ever-changing and evolving Europe.

Hirst hand-picked Jeb Stuart (Die Hard, The Liberator) to pen the script and serve as showrunner on Vikings: Valhalla. Hirst, Stuart and Morgan O'Sullivan (Vikings) are all executive producing the series. The project hails from MGM TV, where Hirst is under an overall deal. Much of History's Vikings team will return across multiple departments, with production also going back to Ireland. The sequel series had been originally in the works at History as of January when news broke that Vikings would be ending with its sixth season.

Vikings was History's first scripted original series (and the first for the revived MGM TV banner). The series is in the midst of airing the first half of its sixth and final season, which will conclude in 2020. The network continues to remain in the scripted space with Project Blue Book and Knightfall. Sources say History is happy with the creative for the final season of Vikings and feels that the show comes to a proper ending on its network. The Hearst- and Disney-owned basic cabler has a robust scripted development pipeline and, given the high costs associated with a genre drama like Vikings, opted instead to allocate both its financial resources and limited shelf space to a new series.

The move to Netflix comes as a bit of a surprise, especially considering Hulu has streaming rights to the flagship History show. Still, the series comes with a built-in fan base at a time when Netflix continues to spend big as it looks to compete with new entrants in the streaming space including Disney+, Apple TV+ and the forthcoming HBO Max and Peacock, as well as stalwarts Amazon and Hulu, among other niche services.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vikings-sequel-series-moves-history-netflix-1256216

Vikings' last few seasons were terrible but I still like the subject matter, so will watch the new sequel series. Plus I think moving it 100 years later gives them the freedom to start fresh. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes. I'm pretty sure season one will be good, the true test will be the succeeding seasons.

Wished The Last Kingdom would return soon. It's the better series between the two. Good coherent story with a likable lead and supporting characters.

Agree the last season(2parts) were the weakest of the series. Hoping for more action and new characters to carry the show
This last seson (part2) was mostly all dialogue and little action. I have all seasons on bluray...
War Bjorn!

Great! I don't have history channel, but I do have Netflix

Once Ragnar got strung out this series has gone down the shitter. I still watch but some of the episodes/storylines just feel completely pointless. I'll likely give this a shot since I like the subject matter too.

Last episode I watched was some huge battle scene between Bjorn's team vs.....I forget that guy's name.

The Lagertha actress is hot. It's weird how she is supposed to be about 60 years old and they grey her heair....but we still get sex scenes with her.

I forget if Rollo died or not. Wait is Rollo the father of Bjorn or not? I totaally forget.

Man I kept watching but my emotional investment faded away after Ragnar died and they focused so much on the stupid, stupid Floki subplot....is that shit still going on?

Is Lagertha still alive?

Vikings' last few seasons were terrible but I still like the subject matter, so will watch the new sequel series. Plus I think moving it 100 years later gives them the freedom to start fresh. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes. I'm pretty sure season one will be good, the true test will be the succeeding seasons.

Wished The Last Kingdom would return soon. It's the better series between the two. Good coherent story with a likable lead and supporting characters.

Last Kingdom was very good, but as a fan of the books I got frustrated at plot line and characters being combined or simply ignored.

Last episode I watched was some huge battle scene between Bjorn's team vs.....I forget that guy's name.

The Lagertha actress is hot. It's weird how she is supposed to be about 60 years old and they grey her heair....but we still get sex scenes with her.

I forget if Rollo died or not. Wait is Rollo the father of Bjorn or not? I totaally forget.

Man I kept watching but my emotional investment faded away after Ragnar died and they focused so much on the stupid, stupid Floki subplot....is that shit still going on?

Is Lagertha still alive?
Rollo is still alive. We aren't sure if Bjorn is his son or not. I think that subplot ended when Floki died. Well, we aren't sure if he actually died. Lagertha is alive but somewhat mentally broken.

"Terrible" is a strong word, but it did start going downhill very soon after the death of a certain integral character.

Will it be even more superwoke and have random females besting brute Viking warriors all day in open battle and have women leading a whole band of beta cucks?

really hope so.

I miss Ragnar :(

Came in to bash because there’s no characters from Vikings I want to continue following but it it’s 100 years later then I’m in!

"Terrible" is a strong word, but it did start going downhill very soon after the death of a certain integral character.

Yeah I pretty much quit after that. He was a great character and the actor did a really good job.

I never actually seen Vikings before, is it worth watching? All I really want is brutal violence.

I never actually seen Vikings before, is it worth watching? All I really want is brutal violence.

The first like 3 seasons are great. Way better than anything I've seen on history before.

I knew they would take the series in this direction!
:)

Stopped watching after Ragnar died. I still enjoy looking at pictures of Kathryn Winnick though.

Hope they do that scene at Stamford Bridge: A lone viking warrior killed like 50 dudes by himself.
<{JustBleed}>

The show went downhill when they went to the 20 episode format, wayy too much filler and that coincided with Ragnars death. That being said that last season was actually on the upswing compared to previous ones. My biggest complaint is they have wasted Floki in making him sad peaceful Floki. I'm guessing he’s not dead and will hopefully return to his old self or at least go on new adventures.

Back