Video of me Kicking....

Nah I'm not really one of those ppl that spacks out. I always listen to ppl when they have something to say. I mean after all alot to do with this sport is taking new things on board and constantly learning and refining your technique. I dont really think its possible to improve without any criticism......

Oh and I forgot to put in my last post, Ian1983 - I'm based in the NE, inbetween Durham/Newcastle

haha yeah one of the kicks knocked my friends hand into his face, I think he says after I hit myself in the face there or something along those lines

Overall, good form and speed. I like it when people post videos of their technique because I'm always looking for ideas to improve myself.

The only thing is, a lot of times from a forum you'll get advice that may be conflicting. For example, every time a guy posts a video of his roundhouse one of the first comments will be that you shouldn't drop your kicking arm, even though this is the orthodox way of throwing the kick.

The slapping sound seems to be partly due to the kick not landing square on the center of the pads...it seems your friend isn't that experienced holding the pads and bracing for the force of the kick, so that might explain it.

My 2 cents:

1) About dropping the lead hand prior to kicking. I think this is actually a legit way to kick. If I'm really trying to get power/torque into my kick, as I'm stepping out I'll first yank my lead hand back and bring my kicking arm up, then as I execute the kick I'll bring my lead arm up and across my chin as a guard and whip my kicking arm down.

Does this telegraph a bit? Of course. Note, though, that the above movements are done very quickly, when you are stepping out at 45 degrees. I feel that this really adds to the torque in your roundhouse (you're loading your hips in a sense).

I've noticed that a LOT of top pros do this - Mirko, Buakaw...heck, these two don't even bother to bring their lead arm back up sometimes. This is, of course, risky (Randleman showed that to Mirko), just like dropping your rear arm is, so I also practice throwing quick kicks and consciously keeping my lead arm up.

Another thing I do to add power and really pummel the bag is this (I'd like to get some advice on this too):

Before I step out to throw the kick, I'll "pop" my hips out a bit to the right (orthodox stance), with a slight pivot of both feet to the right (this is a quick skipping movement)...then I'll step out at 45 degrees to the left to throw the kick. This is just one of those things, along with dropping the lead arm, that "feels" right to me...it seems to add torque. I've seen Samkor do this quite a bit...of course, he doesn't care if he telegraphs because he'll hurt you even if you block him :D. I only do this when I'm training power, though.

Oh yeah, one more point :). About keeping your leg straight - from what I've learned, this is good, at least for mid-kicks. It shouldn't be stiff, but as straight as possible with only a SLIGHT bend. I believe that in the Fairtex videos this is the way it's taught too. It makes sense to me - would you rather swing a bent baseball bat at someone or a straight one?

Excellent posts Lui, very informative! I've always kicked with a just about straight leg at mid-level. By the way whats your training background etc?

Yo dude, where'd you get your shorts/shirt, I want those hahah

EddNg said:
Excellent posts Lui, very informative! I've always kicked with a just about straight leg at mid-level. By the way whats your training background etc?

Way back when, I did around 4 years of Shaolin wushu. After I got interested in MMA/combat sports I switched to MT and some BJJ. Now I just train in boxing/MT...been training MT in some form or another for around 4-5 years...I still have a lot to learn and always like to check out other people's techniques to see what I can add to mine.

Got my shirt from riofightwear.com and the shorts from nogi.com.br

I'm about 5ft 9, at the moment I'm about 182lbs cos I've beeb outta training for a while. I fight at 155 and usually keep myself around 170

Back