Video-Commercial fishing boat rolls over, gulf of Alaska

unimackpass

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know some of the guys that were on this boat. Fortunately the tender traveling with them were able to make a successful rescue otherwise possible crab bait for them.
Most of the fleet waited but they tried to beat the weather going through Hinchenbrook Entrence but didn't make it.
Kind of a wild party bunch that pushed the boundary quite often. You get away with that until you don't.

Must have been fun explaining that inverted dive to the boss...

top-gun-office.jpg

Another to reason to nuke the ocean.

Cool

This looks like VHS footage from the mid 90s

Cool

This looks like VHS footage from the mid 90s

Yeah, why was this shot on film?

Also maybe it helped them come to the decision that commercial fishing isn't a good idea.

Damn ocean, you scary!

The guys recording seemed pretty calm about the whole thing, figured they'd let the expletives fly at least.

Damn ocean, you scary!

The guys recording seemed pretty calm about the whole thing, figured they'd let the expletives fly at least.

The guys recording were on a crab boat used for tendering that time of year. You get used to fishing in that kind of weather and worse during icing conditions in the winter. Your comfort zone for nasty weather gets crazy, it's not till later that a person realizes how on the edge day to day life actually was.
One rouge wave on the Bearing Sea retired 3 guys on one of my cousins crab boats. The weather was super shitty and they could see the wave coming over a mile away. When it hit it ripped everything off the deck crab block and all. Water came down the air intake on top of the house into the engine room but fortunately not above the air intake on the engines. The whole deck was under water with only the house sticking up as it slowly righted itself.
Everyone on the boat was from Homer and had fished most of their life but told me the light went and they realized how easily they could get snuffed out. Two of the five guys still fish and are making darn good money.

Sorry... that shit is insane.

My bro worked on the one of the big boats. He had some crazy stories

The guys recording were on a crab boat used for tendering that time of year. You get used to fishing in that kind of weather and worse during icing conditions in the winter. Your comfort zone for nasty weather gets crazy, it's not till later that a person realizes how on the edge day to day life actually was.
One rouge wave on the Bearing Sea retired 3 guys on one of my cousins crab boats. The weather was super shitty and they could see the wave coming over a mile away. When it hit it ripped everything off the deck crab block and all. Water came down the air intake on top of the house into the engine room but fortunately not above the air intake on the engines. The whole deck was under water with only the house sticking up as it slowly righted itself.
Everyone on the boat was from Homer and had fished most of their life but told me the light went and they realized how easily they could get snuffed out. Two of the five guys still fish and are making darn good money.
What’s a rouge wave? I thought that was when all the red algae gets washed up.

Sorry... that shit is insane.

My bro worked on the one of the big boats. He had some crazy stories

It is kinda insane but in away that's one of elements that draws you to it. Urban cowboys are always looking for some kind of challenge and get tattooed up, cc, get big tires bla bla bla. It's all childs play when your out there dealing with Mother Nature and it's real, no posing image shit. Posers don't make it through a season.

What’s a rouge wave? I thought that was when all the red algae gets washed up.

That's a red tide. It causes the wake of your boat to become florescent at night, really cool looking.

A rouge, freak wave, is caused several different ways. Usually it's in heavy weather when three waves come together because normal patterns get overwhelmed by the shear violence of the conditions. It's like speaker distortion because of to much power.

Back