Video - BJJ: What Makes A Purple Belt?

Can you believe someone made a thread asking if Roy Dean was legit... HAHAHAHAHAHA..

The production on that was pretty good. I'm still a white belt, so a "blue belt" one would be interesting to watch...for entertainment value. I don't really care about the belt color.

The production on that was pretty good. I'm still a white belt, so a "blue belt" one would be interesting to watch...for entertainment value. I don't really care about the belt color.

Every instructor is different. Here is Roy Deans bluebelt requirements

makes it look so smooth, makes me feel like I have an unimaginable amount of work ahead of me.

That move at 1:53 is pretty slick

Wow I love these videos along with the background music. They alone make me want to purchase the dvd set.

That introduction was excellent especially in comparison to most of the videos I've seen. But I haven't even started yet so what do I know.

Still that video reeks of "I know what I'm talking about"

makes it look so smooth, makes me feel like I have an unimaginable amount of work ahead of me.

the thing is, you have to constantly being improving your game. you have to keep on wanting to get better. you can't just put in the time and assume you'll magically get better. you have to want to get better with all the small things.

Roy Dean is an unique ability to break down technique. Excellent teacher, very clear instruction.

awesome video, really cool how he uses the corralation with language, gives me a new perspective

My instructor has a sheet at the school that has something very similar. It talks about each belt and how white is learning words, blue can write sentences, purple can write an essay or something. Then at brown you are able to write a book and black? Poetry. I'll try and take a pic of it next time.

I think most guys hit a wall after blue. It's hard for most guys to break down the ego wall. Too many blues start to focus on their W-L "record" during rolling and take no chances and thus don't add anything to their game. It's so important to maintain the learning mindset during a BJJ career..

That makes me wanna go train so bad...
yeah it does. it makes me realize how much farther I have to go (still a white) in a way it's kind of disheartening also knowing that there is so much out there to learn and so little time.
My instructor has a sheet at the school that has something very similar. It talks about each belt and how white is learning words, blue can write sentences, purple can write an essay or something. Then at brown you are able to write a book and black? Poetry. I'll try and take a pic of it next time.

sounds cool. definitely take a pic!

yeah it does. it makes me realize how much farther I have to go (still a white) in a way it's kind of disheartening also knowing that there is so much out there to learn and so little time.

sounds cool. definitely take a pic!

Man if you can make the goal to train for life, which you may have already done, it makes it a lot easier. If you just shift your viewpoint to enjoying the fact that you get to spend the rest of your life learning cool stuff that will interest you, keep you in shape, etc, as opposed to feeling like you only have a limited amount of time to cram all this stuff in, it might make that feeling go away.

That video is awesome, but I have to say that BJJ is so individualized that, to me, there's no legitimate way to classify levels.

For example, I love to insist on moves. Much of my game is premised on just forcing moves, with maximized technical details. No "language," just mindless down-the-middle force. I don't like combinations. Just don't. Not my style. You know how Roger Gracie just takes mount and collar chokes you? That's the style I admire. It's not a combination, and you don't get a choice. He will take mount, then he will collar choke you. Beautiful ....

Back