vid of me grappling

nevermind, i was watching the first match when i posted that, didnt realize there were more than one match on the video :)

Learn some sweeps. You spent more time on your back than a rich man in Vegas. Look into single butterfly hook sweeps, closed guard sweeps and open guard sweeps. Consider armdrags to take the back. Try to set up your submissions, don't just keep aimlessly going for the same thing. If he's resisting an armbar, consider an omoplata, triangle or wristlock.
If he's posturing up, considering grabbing both his ankles, dropping your ass to the ground and putting your knees together so you can rock up into mount. Don't stay stationary and on your back, if you can sit up and into butterfly guard. Look into holding a high guard or rubber guard so you can get round in time to finish those armbar attempts.

You seemed to have a good defensive guard, good speed going for armbars, you maintained the triangle while being stacked and had an inspired roll through where you could have got a kneebar but didn't the could have got a toehold but didn't. Work on that as you set it up well but didn't finish with a submission afterwards.

I was at that tournament.

Where do you train? Vancouver?

I competed there. It was a fun tournament, but it took forever to start...

I agree with everything superbeast said... so I'll just comment on the wrestling since I'm more qualified in that aspect. You have to work on better setups. You got caught both in your 1st match and 2nd match because the opponent was expecting the shot.

1) work on your setup's cause that's the foundation of the takedown... you tried a pop-up. mix in shucks, armdrags, snaps, russians, etc. Find out what you're good at.

2) always keep your head up and your elbows in. the shot in the 1st match was a lot better than in the 2nd... but in both you were reaching for his legs and your elbows weren't close to your body. Thus, he could easily sprawl and get underhooks on you.

3) finish better. No easy way to say it. you need explosion off the shot. even if he stops you, you gotta drive through and push him back to knock him off balance.

Finally- what the hell was that when you was in a wrestling tie up? You changed so that both of your hands were on the guys neck (2nd match). Never do that again. Underhooks are almost always preferable.

I know most guys don't spend much time on standing technique, but it's an underlooked aspect of the game. Overall, nice matches and thanks for sharing.

i though you got that armbar attempt just right. The kid seemed bigger & a block to move. I know it is easier to say what you should of done after but the three sweeps I thought I saw oppurtunities for you do were the kimura sweep, double ankle grab & the one arm under their leg whilst scooting out your hips.

I thought your matches looked pretty good.

I prefer to be more active from the guard, but that is just my style. Some of the best grapplers fight a very defensive guard game. If that is your cup of tea, there is nothing really wrong with it.

My advice would be to ditch closed guard once your opponent gets posture. A defensive guard fighter will generally just try to break the opponent's posture back down. I prefer to switch to either butterfly or X-guard, depending on whether the opponent postured sitting or standing. There are many more attacks from these guards when compared to closed guard.

Balto said:
I thought your matches looked pretty good.

I prefer to be more active from the guard, but that is just my style. Some of the best grapplers fight a very defensive guard game. If that is your cup of tea, there is nothing really wrong with it.

My advice would be to ditch closed guard once your opponent gets posture. A defensive guard fighter will generally just try to break the opponent's posture back down. I prefer to switch to either butterfly or X-guard, depending on whether the opponent postured sitting or standing. There are many more attacks from these guards when compared to closed guard.

This mixed with what Superbeast said were about what I was thinking.
Your guard is very defensive IMO, which kinda made the matches boring. However, both your opponents were annoyingly defensive while in your guard. Trust me, this is not meant personally, but this is why BJJ can be incredibly boring to watch, even for an enthusiast.

Bubble Boy said:
but this is why BJJ can be incredibly boring to watch, even for an enthusiast.

That's if you watch amateurs. Watch the best BJJ:ers in the world and they go at it way more. They play around with the open guard/butterfly guard and there's alot more movement. ;)

I think his guard was defensive yes, and he also had a number of opportunities for sweeps ... but I also think the first opponent in yellow was stalling a bit. He seemed very content to hold him down and keep his back on the mat, all the while I

Hamit Aktas said:
That's if you watch amateurs. Watch the best BJJ:ers in the world and they go at it way more. They play around with the open guard/butterfly guard and there's alot more movement. ;)
I think this also has to do with the ruleset as well. We need to AWARD activity a bit more.

Cool! Thanks for the footage!

Tips ... well ... it has probably been said/written before, but try to work on sweeps, don't stay on your back, try to get top position, role with your opponent if he tries to evade an armbar or something else, be more aggressive ... you seem to be holding on a more passive form ... try more stuff, if one thing doesn't work, quickly switch to something else (e.g. if armbar doesn't work, go for a triangle choke or leg, ... and vica versa) ... work on instinct, try not to think "urhm ... maybe if I ... damn ... how did that move work was in class? ... "

It is not a bad thing to lose, if you want results, you got to keep up the good work (roll alot, try alot, learn from others, work with people better than you, go 100%) ...

good job keeping dudes in your guard and not passing. You should work on sweeps though and mounts since they get you points.

Tell me how long you've been grappling on and I'll give advice then.

You have very long legs try to go for triangles more often. Do even body triangles while they are in your guard, they are way more effective than those kidney crushes you tried. Together with an armtriangle from the bottom or a guillotine you could have cought the guy in the yellow shirt alot earlier. Too bad i couldnt see the triangle set up.
Try to adapt a high guard/rubber guard game i saw alot openings to go for them.
Besides that I can just agree with the previous posters

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back