• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Vettori's armored defense vs. Costa's kicks

He took some good shots. Was surprised how well he took them. I wish fighters would stop cutting so much weight. I'm willing to bet that helped Vettori take those shots so well

According to @KAZSoliloquy tbis can’t be true as there are no known instances of someone dying from a strike to the back of the head.
it’s literally made up. the only person to die from a head kick this year was a 25 year old amateur named joel cahuasqui and he died of a brain hemorrhage.

Vettori with that Milanese plate armour chin.

Vettori took a kick to the back of the head and wasn’t even dropped. Crazy.

A kickboxer died this way earlier this year. Took a kick as he turned his head and had his brain stem ripped apart from the spine.
An excerpt from an article about this.

“According to El Notre, there were no paramedics or physicians at ringside when the fight concluded and Cahuasqui was rushed to hospital”

WTF?

Those were very powerful shots. I’m surprised Vettori took them without even blinking. Not good though, you can rely on that type of defense only for so long.

This is not an accurate statement.

In an amateur kickboxing fight, a fighter noticeably smaller in stature than his opponent leaned back to roll with punches he anticipated, and his very long opponent instead threw a kick which made direct contact with the back of the kids head/spine (it wrapped around his neck). He immediately fell to the ground and grabbed his head, he was wearing a headguard, but there was no EMT or ringside doctor. This took place in Ecuador.

There were several mistakes made, but it was ultimately a very unfortunate freak accident.

Also, Vettori should not be glorified for having poor striking defense, the objective is to hit and not get hit. The MMA media/ufc commentators should be glorifying fighters like Ciryl Gane/Israel Adesanya who demonstrate elite striking defense, not fighters like Marvin Vettori who just eat headkicks and walk forward.
Hit and not get hit? What is that shit?
I learned in the 80s:
"It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Back