Vettori still did way better than Whittaker, Romero and Costa

Mammothman

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
People are giving a lot of shit to Vettori, yes Isael didn't broke a sweat to beat him but he is still put a respectable and better performance tonight than Whittaker, Romero and Costa.

Those 3 were the ones that had shitty and bad performances against the champ.

Vettori had nothing for Izzy whatsoever. After the first 2 minutes, his entire goal was not getting knocked out.

So yeah, I guess you could say he "did better".. lol

Romero arguably beat Izzy so I don't agree, it was heavily publicized that Romero had a shitty performance, but he got the most out of his 42 year old body. Despite the fact that Vettori landed 4 takedowns during the fight, he was the vastly inferior offensive and defensive fighter compared to Romero.

Adesanya outlanded Romero by a mere 8 strikes, with more than 50% of his total strikes landed being leg kicks. Yoel oulanded him in the 1st and 5th rounds, while landing at a 44% clip to Adesanya's 36%. Yoel landed more head strikes and clearly landed the more significant punches throughout the fight.

If Romero was a few years younger and had more juice in the tank, I think he beats Adesanya. Romero was the only guy wise enough to know his limitations and Adesanya's strengths, he didn't waste too much energy chasing Izzy around the cage, and he exposed many deficiencies in the striking of Adesanya.

In terms of legitimate championship performances(not interim belts), a past prime Romero gave Izzy his most stiff challenge. The 2015-2016 Yoel that destroyed Lyoto and Weidman would have a massive edge over Izzy, even the 2020 version went tit for tat with him.

Fans were so let down by Romero not engaging in a super high paced fight, that they ignored how close the fight actually was and didn't think Romero deserved to win because of this perceived lack of effort, which could also be considered great strategy. As Romero gave Izzy statistically his toughest fight, and was the first guy to really shut his offense down and reduce him into a 36% striker who struggled to land anything but leg kicks.

Last edited:
People are giving a lot of shit to Vettori, yes Isael didn't broke a sweat to beat him but he is still put a respectable and better performance tonight than Whittaker, Romero and Costa.

I agree
He moved forward and tried to win.

He got close as well with the RNC attempt but izzy has def improved on the ground.

izzy is just too good.

Romero beat Izzy on my card. He did much better than the other guys did for sure. I think Vetorri fought every round very close even if he lost most of them. I just think the commentators and crowd love Izzy so it makes it look more wide than it really is.

Not better than romero, i mean romero clearly beat adesanya no fking way he lost that fight. Still, marvin did waaay better than costa and whittaker so people need to give him the respect he deserves.

Vettori had nothing for Izzy whatsoever. After the first 2 minutes, his entire goal was not getting knocked out.

So yeah, I guess you could say he "did better".. lol
Give props.
The RNC attempt was pretty close.

Props to izzy good defence he has def improved, but you could see it in izzys eyes. He didn’t panic but he knew he was in a very bad position.

People talk about finishes a lot. Anderson was praised for it and GSP was at times derided for not finishing. However having something to fear from your opponent causes fighters to finish at the higher levels. GSP dominated guys for 5 rounds in a soul crushing way. What GSP did to Koscheck for 5 rounds was much more humiliating then Anderson finishing Nate Marquart for example.

Vettori was never in the fight but he was very Bull Headed kept doing the same things unsuccessfully. tried to strike and was massively outclassed and then wasted tons of energy trying for TDs that even when he got them he had no energy to do anything with it.

There is reason to believe Robert could win a rematch. There is ZERO reason to believe the Italian Meat Head has anything for Izzy.

He didn't do better than Romero. Romero had Israel running away, and I think might've won 1 or 2 rounds. In fact, some of those rounds were realistically 10-10, but those never get scored properly. It was a trash fight (barely a fight at all), but it was closer than Vettori's.

Romero arguably beat Izzy so I don't agree, it was heavily publicized that Romero had a shitty performance, but he got the most out of his 42 year old body. Despite the fact that Vettori landed 4 takedowns during the fight, he was the vastly inferior offensive and defensive fighter compared to Romero.

Adesanya outlanded Romero by a mere 8 strikes, with more than 50% of his total strikes landed being leg kicks. Yoel oulanded him in the 1st and 5th rounds, while landing at a 44% clip to Adesanya's 36%. Yoel landed more head strikes and clearly landed the more significant punches throughout the fight.

If Romero was a few years younger and had more juice in the tank, I think he beats Adesanya. Romero was the only guy wise enough to know his limitations and Adesanya's strengths, he didn't waste too much energy chasing Izzy around the cage, and he exposed many deficiencies in the striking of Adesanya.

In terms of legitimate championship performances(not interim belts), a past prime Romero gave Izzy his most stiff challenge. The 2015-2016 Yoel that destroyed Lyoto and Weidman would have a massive edge over Izzy, even the 2020 version went tit for tat with him.

Fans were so let down by Romero not engaging in a super high paced fight, that they ignored how close the fight actually was and didn't think Romero deserved to win because of this perceived lack of effort, which could also be considered great strategy. As Romero gave Izzy statistically his toughest fight, and was the first guy to really shut his offense down and reduce him into a 36% striker who struggled to land anything but leg kicks.
<JackieThumbsUp>

Back