Very new to Martial Arts, would like to start Muay Thai

Down_in_a_Hole

White Belt
Reaction score
I started getting into MMA about a couple years ago after watching a segment on RealSports on HBO. I went out to FYE and bought the first ever UFC paperview (the one where the Savate boxer kicks the sumo wrestler in the face) and immediately I was hooked. However, I have been held back by committments to baseball, no prior fighting experience, not enough time, other bullshit excuses, etc.

Finally those are starting to finish up, and whether it is for self defense or I decide to compete, I have taken a big interest in Muay Thai lately. I used to be a three sport athlete, but I have absolutely no prior fighting/martial arts experience. So I will clearly be a step below my peers at 18 years old, but I am really interested and definitely have the motivation to start this up. That said, are there any good books/videos I can watch to learn the basics before I get going? I have been looking in the instructional thread page for a few days and I honestly find that everything is too advanced for my current knowledge level. I guess what I am looking for is the most basic of the basic material, but I have found it very hard to find (search function sometimes does not work on my browser). Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry to ask for this info to be spoonfed, but I really cannot find it/not sure what I'm looking for.

Find a gym and get a trainer. Even beginner DVD's or books wont help you without someone telling you why. Instructional videos and books should be used to SUPPLEMENT, not replace a real trainer.

yeah also sparing people helps with training go to a real gym other stuff thats good to add to mma is good old boxing learn how to throw punches

still i agree with dude above watching fight dvds are for people like james thompson

Ok I will hold out for the next few weeks until I work with a live trainer.

Ce****ryTump brought up another issue, I have never had to throw a punch before in my life, so I'm pretty sure I hit like a girl.

edit: why did m.e.t.a get editted out?

probably to avoid haxorz and such
anyway you'll hear it time and again on these forums, *insert alternative method here* is no substitution for a club/trainer, and it really is true man. There's nothing wrong at all with books and DVDs, just make sure you have some real training with other people to go along with it. These things should be supplements, not your main source.
Good luck bro! :D

If you want to learn the most basic of basics, as everybody has already said, there is absolutely nothing better than learning them at a bona fide gym.

On a practical level get yourself a heavy bag and try some punches, kicks and elbows. it will get you more in to the mind set and you will learn how your body reacts to the pressures involved. DO NOT GO TOO HARD. You will injure yourself. Also as everyone had said go and learn properly. Bag is fun though. Experiment.

On a practical level get yourself a heavy bag and try some punches, kicks and elbows. it will get you more in to the mind set and you will learn how your body reacts to the pressures involved. DO NOT GO TOO HARD. You will injure yourself. Also as everyone had said go and learn properly. Bag is fun though. Experiment.

No. You will pick up bad habits that have to be unlearned. The only way this advice is good is if you are strictly interested in just getting a workout, where it doesnt matter HOW you hit the bag.

defo get to the gym its the only way to learn,this home training suff just aint gonna
cut it.enjoy

Ok I will hold out for the next few weeks until I work with a live trainer.

Ce****ryTump brought up another issue, I have never had to throw a punch before in my life, so I'm pretty sure I hit like a girl.

edit: why did m.e.t.a get editted out?

That is probably your best bet. If anything, start doing more shoulder and core workouts with higher reps. It will get your body more physically prepared to start Muay Thai.

Dont worry about how hard you throw a punch. You said you play baseball? I bet the first time you threw a baseball was not nearly as hard as you can throw one now! Punching is the same way. Focus on proper technique, then just like throwing a baseball the more punches you throw the harder they get and the more natural the movement becomes.

In every gym I have been in I have seen at least one noob come in and during pad work/ bag work (specifically hooks) swing for the damn fences with no technique and tear apart their shoulder!

The only bag I know how to use is a speed bag, so I'll keep using that for now, but I have stopped using the heavy bag I have since I can't throw a punch and trying without instruction will just make it worse. I'm going to spend a lot of time reading the conditioning stuff, as I can jump into that the fastest.

Good call. Conditioning is one thing you can start up right away.

No kidding. YOu really cant have good enough cardio, so you could start by jogging and doing other non-MT exercises just to get your stamina up.

more shoulder and core workouts... more physically prepared to start Muay Thai.

Dont worry...!

Some of the best basic advice here for when you start. 'Fighting' is something that's natural to DO, but very hard to LEARN. Don't get discouraged, and enjoy the journey, and your progress! You'll be better and better before you know it. One of my favorite things to do on 'New Guys' is to video their first bag workout for 1 minute. And then do that every 1 month anniversary for a year.

It'll be one of the coolest 10 minute videos you'll ever see.

This sounds like some philosophical bullshit, but the 'Empty Cup' that you're bringing with you is a great thing so far. You're not pretending to know anything, and that's a GOLDEN attribute. KEEP that. When you start training, YOUR job is to be in great shape. It's the COACH that shows you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, why to do it...

Keep us updated. :icon_chee

Back