Very Difficult to Score Fights

All 3 sherdog judges gave Munoz a 10-8 rd1.
Anyone associated with Sherdog, I automatically give 3 retardation points. Imagine putting your name on some of the shit said on here lol.

Cerrone/Bendo I and III. IMO, they flip flopped them. I thought Cerrone should've gotten the nod in the first and Bendo in the 3rd.
I’m a big Cerrone fan.. but yeah after the 3rd round was over in the 3rd fight I was bummed because I figured Cerrone lost pretty clearly. Was shocked he got the decision

Dillashaw/Cruz is the closest fight of all time
I don’t really understand when ppl say that. It was a really competitive fight, but to me it was very clear who won each round. Dom won rds 1, 2, and 3. TJ won 4 and 5. GSP-Hendricks or Jones-Reyes are way tougher to score than Cruz-TJ. That fight wasn’t hard to score at all.

Actually, the scoring criteria is crystal clear in terms of whether "fight ending shots or control" is more important. Cage control isn't even considered in judging unless all the other criteria are tied. In other words, octagon control is merely a tie breaker. Most people, including commentators and fighters, don't seem to understand this.
Judges also seem to not be very clear on this...which is precisely the problem.

I don’t really understand when ppl say that. It was a really competitive fight, but to me it was very clear who won each round. Dom won rds 1, 2, and 3. TJ won 4 and 5. GSP-Hendricks or Jones-Reyes are way tougher to score than Cruz-TJ. That fight wasn’t hard to score at all.
Worth to note the judges didn't have it your way. Their scores were all over the place. That two of them had Dom as the winner was not even based on the rounds you have for him. The media scores were also split right down to the middle. Fight was close as shit.

GSP/Hendricks was much more clear to me. Hendricks won that first round handily imo.

Just tells you how close these fights are.

Someone should organize something where us sherdoggers do our own scoring and compare them amongst ourselves and judges/media.

Worth to note the judges didn't have it your way. Their scores were all over the place. That two of them had Dom as the winner was not even based on the rounds you have for him. The media scores were also split right down to the middle. Fight was close as shit.

GSP/Hendricks was much more clear to me. Hendricks won that first round handily imo.

Just tells you how close these fights are.
This is true, and with the TJ-Cruz fight I don’t get it. I found that fight easy to score, although I def didn’t trust the judges to get it right. Another was JDS-Stipe 1. Some ppl still act like that fight was close or that Stipe won it somehow; to me the question was whether it was 48-47 JDS or 49-46 JDS.

But some are just tough to score certain rounds. I can see how GSP-Hendricks could be scored for either guy, same with Condit-Diaz, or Jones-Reyes. Or Viera-Kunitskaya recently (I scored for Viera, as did most media outlets, but I can see how Yana could win that fight).

Judges also seem to not be very clear on this...which is precisely the problem.
Well, so many judges are incompetent and/or corrupt that it's impossible to know what they're clear on. The point is that the scoring criteria isn't the problem; judges are the problem. The scoring criteria is pretty clear as is, but it doesn't matter how clear they are as long as there's no accountability for incompetent/corrupt judges. It's been a problem in boxing for decades, and it's unlikely to be resolved anytime soon. It would likely take an immense amount of pressure from fight promoters and the public to create any real change.

New scoring rules should be
10-10: Coinflip round. Significant nitpicking required to determine a winner.
10-9: Competitive round, but one fighter noticeably outworks the other.
10-8: One guy has a significantly superior performance, but lacks the domination of a 10-7.
10-7: Domination. One fighter spends the entire round defending submission and/or getting smacked hard in the face with no meaningful offensive output of their own. Considerable time spent hurt and in survival mode could be grounds for this score.

An example

Gastelum/Adesanya
-Round 1: 10-9 Gastelum
-Round 2: 10-9 Adesanya
-Round 3: 10-9 Adesanya
-Round 4: 10-8 Gastelum
-Round 5: 10-7 Adesanya
Final Score: 47-44 Adesanya

Romero Whittaker 2
Jones Gustafson 1

Romero Whittaker 2 was a very hard fight to score

if you drop a guy, but then lose the remaining 4:55 of the round fairly convincingly, how do you score this round?

that happened twice in that fight iirc.

Need to have 5 judges. If 5 set of eyes royally fuck up a fight. U know shit is rigged. Or judges need to be held accountable. They need to do interviews with reporters. And explain what their dumb asses saw.

All 3 sherdog judges gave Munoz a 10-8 rd1.

While the sherdog judges all did that, what is interesting despite mixed scoring from media it is a pretty rare time that all 3 actual judges scored it exactly the same.

Back