Utilize or Use?

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
MMA announcers are very fond of the word "utilize", as in something like "he needs to utilize his wrestling more". Big John loves that word. Can someone explain to me the difference between "utilize" and "use"? Why can't they just say "use"?

MMA announcers are very fond of the word "utilize", as in something like "he needs to utilize his wrestling more". Big John loves that word. Can someone explain to me the difference between "utilize" and "use"? Why can't they just say "use"?
Utilize means to use something beyond its intended use in an innovative manner.

He utilizes his wrestling to setup his striking. But, he uses his wrestling to take down his opponent.

Although they have the same basic denotation, they have different connotations.
They both mean to use something but utilize means/implies to use something in the best way possible, either effectively, efficiently, or in an innovative way.

Depending on context they can have slightly different connotations. Utilize usually implies you're using something for a particular purpose, in a practical, effective or profitable way. "I'm using the computer" / "I'm utilizing the computer", the second sentence has the slight connotation that you're using the computer for some sort of particularly profitable end, while the first one is more general.

A lot of the time both words are simply synonyms. In you example in the OP, you could use either word and the sentence would convey pretty much the exact same meaning, I don't know why you're assuming they can't say "use". I've seen people say that utilize should be reserved for innovative uses, or previously undiscovered uses of a particular thing. That would mean the sentence in the OP is wrong and "use" is more correct in that context. This doesn't really align with a lot of the usage of the word that I've seen, and neither with the dictionary definitions that I can find. It seems people are divided on that on different websites.

Then again, I'm just a Sherlinguist.

Now let's discuss why Rogan says "preposterous" so much.

Last edited:
because Mike Tyson took ludicrous?

The good days:

"I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, and most ruthless champion there's ever been. There's no one can stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No, I'm Alexander, he's no Alexander. I'm the best ever. There's never been anybody as ruthless. I'm Sonny Liston,I'm Jack Dempsey. There's no one like me. I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah."

Now:

"Mah mah mah mah mah shoot yer fooking meuth."

utilize makes you sound smarter.

they like using the word 'implement' alot too. "I agree DC he's not doing a good job of implementing his gameplan, everytime he does X his opponent does Y"

Depending on context they can have slightly different connotations. Utilize usually implies you're using something for a particular purpose, in a practical, effective or profitable way. "I'm using the computer" / "I'm utilizing the computer", the second sentence has the slight connotation that you're using the computer for some sort of particularly profitable end, while the first one is more general.

A lot of the time both words are simply synonyms. In you example in the OP, you could use either word and the sentence would convey pretty much the exact same meaning, I don't know why you're assuming they can't say "use". I've seen people say that utilize should be reserved for innovative uses, or previously undiscovered uses of a particular thing. That would mean the sentence in the OP is wrong and "use" is more correct in that context. This doesn't really align with a lot of the usage of the word that I've seen, and neither with the dictionary definitions that I can find. It seems people are divided on that.

Then again, I'm just a Sherlinguist.

Now let's discuss why Rogan says "preposterous" so much.
Excellent explanation.

Because they're cunts.

I do editing for a journal, and their guidelines specifically say change "utilize" to "use" cause it's a shit word to use 99% of the time.

There are occasions where "utitlization/utilized" is warranted. In essence, when you are making something into a tool for use, usually outside of its normal context (vs applying a tool for its intended us),. But it's also used as like a metric to show how much a service is being exploited by people (eg, health care utilization).

So saying "utilizing your wrestling" is retarded, because they mean take the fucker down, as is the inherent aim of wresting

Back