News Usyk vacates the IBF title to facilitate a Joshua vs. DuBois fight at Wembley in Sept.

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

Rumors are that Turki wanted Joshua to fight DuBois, and that's why Hearn changed his tune on the fight after initially dismissing it. It wouldn't be surprising if he gave Usyk a financial incentive to drop his request for an extension with the IBF.

Last I heard he was allowed to keep it by the IBF. Apparently Turki didn't want that. Doesn't really matter.

"hieverybodypeople"
that is my new default greeting now.

well, I was hoping Usyk could get a defense of the undisputed championship in the Fury rematch but i guess not. i dont think he'd wanna beat AJ again or have to deal with Danny "Dickpuncher" Dubois another time.

damn good fight though. i think AJ KOs DDD.

Usyk blessing his sons with a gift. What a nice guy

This is honestly a bizarre choice Usyk is 3 - 0 against these 2 and he stopped one of them and so the IBF is like yeah these are the people we want to represent us.

Anyway, end these belt orgs. They all suck shit

"hieverybodypeople"
that is my new default greeting now.

well, I was hoping Usyk could get a defense of the undisputed championship in the Fury rematch but i guess not. i dont think he'd wanna beat AJ again or have to deal with Danny "Dickpuncher" Dubois another time.

damn good fight though. i think AJ KOs DDD.
Would've been nice to see him defend his heavyweight undisputed title once but in the four-belt era it's harder to keep them together. Especially with the IBF involved. There's quite a few former undisputed heavyweight champs that also didn't defend it including the last one we had.

Schmeling never successfully defended it, nor did Jack Sharkey, Max Baer, James J. Braddock, Ingemar Johansson, Sonny Liston, Leon Spinks, James "Buster" Douglas, Riddick Bowe or Lennox Lewis.

+ Usyk doesn't have to prove anything no more
I just want to hear Michael Buffer announce someone as Undefeated Undisputed Heavyweight Champion.

Usyk has nothing left to prove but has earned the right to carry and defend the belts he won in other people's countries no less. AJ and DuBois can just have a #1 contender fight. It doesn't need a belt

Rumors are that Turki wanted Joshua to fight DuBois, and that's why Hearn changed his tune on the fight after initially dismissing it. It wouldn't be surprising if he gave Usyk a financial incentive to drop his request for an extension with the IBF.

Lol Usyks present to anthony and Daniel. Not only is he the best HW of this era, hes a generous and giving champion. He’ll win the belt back anyways but probably lose 1 of the others in the same manor

Would've been nice to see him defend his heavyweight undisputed title once but in the four-belt era it's harder to keep them together. Especially with the IBF involved. There's quite a few former undisputed heavyweight champs that also didn't defend it including the last one we had.

Schmeling never successfully defended it, nor did Jack Sharkey, Max Baer, James J. Braddock, Ingemar Johansson, Sonny Liston, Leon Spinks, James "Buster" Douglas, Riddick Bowe or Lennox Lewis.

I am pretty sure Liston beat Patterson in the immediate rematch, but I am not sure if the title was split or not! If it wasn't than Liston should have one title defense.

I am pretty sure Liston beat Patterson in the immediate rematch, but I am not sure if the title was split or not! If it wasn't than Liston should have one title defense.
Liston beat Patterson in the rematch to become undisputed and then immediately lost the title against Cassius Clay/Ali in his very next fight. Became undisputed on 22 Jul 1963 and lost it on 25 Feb 1964.

I just want to hear Michael Buffer announce someone as Undefeated Undisputed Heavyweight Champion.
True. The next best thing to that is hearing that Usyk was undefeated & undisputed cruiserweight champion in the Bellew fight. He defended it once and then vacated his WBA title when he moved up to heavyweight. His other 3 titles were vacated shortly after.

Liston beat Patterson in the rematch to become undisputed and then immediately lost the title against Cassius Clay/Ali in his very next fight. Became undisputed on 22 Jul 1963 and lost it on 25 Feb 1964.

But when he beat Patterson in their first meeting, what thing did he win?

But when he beat Patterson in their first meeting, what thing did he win?
You're correct in that he initially became undisputed in the first Patterson fight but the era had just come to an end by his next fight. So, he was undisputed across two eras (NYSAC–NBA & WBA–WBC) but he's credited with 0 title defenses. This is just a transitional technicality.
1.png

2.png

Last edited:
Riddick bowe had a couple defenses against weak opposition before losing to Evander in their rematch. I think Lewis won a couple defenses too but not sure.

Liston did indeed kayo patterson easier the second time, I'm not really sure when all the split belts came into play. In fact, the first time I've read about the heavyweight title being fractured was during Ali's first reign, I think Terrel was the champ, but before that, I can't think of any talk of more than one champ per division. The belts didn't really become a huge hassle until the 80's, then, with all the talent around, they just as soon avoid the other belt holders and hold what they had for as long as possible. Generally, the longtime champs like Holmes, were accepted as the lineal champs even if they got stripped of a belt. Hagler is the only fighter who stood up to the orgs and kept his titles together.

Fighters also used the mandatories to preserve their records by avoiding a potential tough match, allowing themselves to be stripped and fighting a big money fight later. Michael Spinks avoided Tony Tucker that way, got stripped but went on to fight Mike Tyson for the big purse a little later. Bobby Chacon also made excuses not to fight the young, up and coming, Hector Camacho and was stripped of his title. In his case, he knew he was too old to beat Macho.

Riddick bowe had a couple defenses against weak opposition before losing to Evander in their rematch. I think Lewis won a couple defenses too but not sure.

Liston did indeed kayo patterson easier the second time, I'm not really sure when all the split belts came into play. In fact, the first time I've read about the heavyweight title being fractured was during Ali's first reign, I think Terrel was the champ, but before that, I can't think of any talk of more than one champ per division. The belts didn't really become a huge hassle until the 80's, then, with all the talent around, they just as soon avoid the other belt holders and hold what they had for as long as possible. Generally, the longtime champs like Holmes, were accepted as the lineal champs even if they got stripped of a belt. Hagler is the only fighter who stood up to the orgs and kept his titles together.

Fighters also used the mandatories to preserve their records by avoiding a potential tough match, allowing themselves to be stripped and fighting a big money fight later. Michael Spinks avoided Tony Tucker that way, got stripped but went on to fight Mike Tyson for the big purse a little later. Bobby Chacon also made excuses not to fight the young, up and coming, Hector Camacho and was stripped of his title. In his case, he knew he was too old to beat Macho.
Bowe did have world title defenses but he never defended the undisputed title. Back in his day, the three-belt era, this meant simultaneously defending the WBA, WBC & IBF titles. Only a month after he became undisputed he infamously trashed (vacated) his WBC title to avoid Lewis. Lewis himself never defended all 3 titles, either. Had he not been screwed against Holyfield in the first fight, which they called a draw, then he'd have 1 undisputed title defense.

Bowe did have world title defenses but he never defended the undisputed title. Back in his day, the three-belt era, this meant simultaneously defending the WBA, WBC & IBF titles. Only a month after he became undisputed he infamously trashed (vacated) his WBC title to avoid Lewis. Lewis himself never defended all 3 titles, either. Had he not been screwed against Holyfield in the first fight, which they called a draw, then he'd have 1 undisputed title defense.
oh, that's what you mean, yes, you're correct. Tyson had a good spell with all three belts, its hard to keep them all together.

oh, that's what you mean, yes, you're correct. Tyson had a good spell with all three belts, its hard to keep them all together.
It is very hard to keep them from being fragmented again. Initially the IBF wanted to strip Usyk after just 2 weeks of winning their belt. He petitioned them to keep it for the Fury rematch but something must've changed his mind to vacate it. He still holds the other 3 belts though. For now at least. Yeah, Mike had a total of 6 undisputed title defenses in the three-belt era. That's impressive.

It is very hard to keep them from being fragmented again. Initially the IBF wanted to strip Usyk after just 2 weeks of winning their belt. He petitioned them to keep it for the Fury rematch but something must've changed his mind to vacate it. He still holds the other 3 belts though. For now at least. Yeah, Mike had a total of 6 undisputed title defenses in the three-belt era. That's impressive.
well, might be a waste of energy trying to keep all those titles together these days.

well, might be a waste of energy trying to keep all those titles together these days.
Pretty much is a waste of energy. Once a fighter becomes undisputed heavyweight champ their name is forever in the history books. The winner of Joshua vs Dubois would've been his IBF mandatory. That's not very appealing since he's already beaten them both. Joshua twice.

I'll bet Fury isn't happy about this. Even if he managed to beat Usyk in the rematch he wouldn't become undisputed champ. Now he'll likely have to beat Joshua too assuming he gets by Dubois and he should.

Last edited:
Back