• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Usman vs gsp prime 4 prime

That is an impressive stat, but that is with GSP being by far the better wrestler in that entire division for about a decade and never having to worry about being taken done.

I have a feeling that percentage wouldn't hold up against someone like Usman, just like it didn’t against Hendricks.

I think we can both agreed that it would be a great fight regardless and in my opinion GSP’s toughest test ever at 170 prime vs prime. Usman would be the only fighter to match or surpass GSP in the physical attributes.
That's fair, it'd be a great fight!

Marty from Nebraska spent his entire career under USADA. It's impossible to establish a comparison.

That's fair, it'd be a great fight!

Yes, definitely but reading some of these responses on this thread is laughable. One poster is even questioning if Usman’s cardio can even hold up in 5rd fight against GSP.

Like are you kidding me? Usman’s cardio is probably the most impressive thing about him considering all the muscle mass he carries. There have even been debates questioning if Usman is on EPO with how good his cardio is, but now in this thread against GSP his cardio is suspect and being questioned all of a sudden hahaha.

Yes, definitely but reading some of these responses on this thread is laughable. One poster is even questioning if Usman’s cardio can even hold up in 5rd fight against GSP.

Like are you kidding me? Usman’s cardio is probably the most impressive thing about him considering all the muscle mass he carries. There have posters even questioning if he’s on EPO with how good his cardio is, but now in this thread against GSP his cardio is suspect and being questioned hahaha.
I agree with you on that, questioning Usman's cardio is like questioning Holloway's output or Francis' power, lol.

This is one of the toughest matchups for GSP.

Usman's incredible strength, size and 100% TDD would force GSP to strike much like Hendricks did which caused him to struggle.

But GSP in his prime had good movement and was well versed with his kicks as well as boxing. Usman has solid fundamentals and good power in his hands but GSP would outspeed and out-time him in a 5 round fight, I think he has a very hard time finding GSP.

Usman would decide to wrestle at some point and I think he does well in that type of fight. Close call. GSP in a SD win.

GSP is far smarter than Usman. He would control Usman.

That is such a stupid response, what exactly is this based on, what has Usman done or not done to prove he isn’t as smart as GSP?

If anything I think Usman’s intelligence and ability to establish and stick to a game plan is very impressive. It’s so impressive in fact that he even helped another fighter win a title recently.

Last edited:
This is one of the toughest matchups for GSP.

Usman's incredible strength, size and 100% TDD would force GSP to strike much like Hendricks did which caused him to struggle.

But GSP in his prime had good movement and was well versed with his kicks as well as boxing. Usman has solid fundamentals and good power in his hands but GSP would outspeed and out-time him in a 5 round fight, I think he has a very hard time finding GSP.

Usman would decide to wrestle at some point and I think he does well in that type of fight. Close call. GSP in a SD win.

It really would come to down to strategy in my opinion where either fighter could win if they implement the right one.

I can definitely see GSP winning is he uses his speed and jab to keep Usman at bay. Anytime Usman wound get close, GSP would circle away away and repeat. But I could also see Usman implementing a dirty boxing type of strategy like he did against Mas where he would just push GSP him against the cage and beat him up while holding and pressing. First time ever GSP would face someone as strong or stronger than him.

It really would come to down to strategy in my opinion where either fighter could win if they implement the right one.

I can definitely see GSP winning is he uses his speed and jab to keep Usman at bay. Anytime Usman wound get close, GSP would circle away away and repeat. But I could also see Usman implementing a dirty boxing type of strategy like he did against Mas where he would just push GSP him against the cage and beat him up while holding and pressing. First time ever GSP would face someone as strong or stronger than him.

They're the 2 best WW's I've ever seen. I could see either beating the other but GSP has more in his skillset and has proven himself more often in the big fights, some of which were wars. The latter is the difference.

What makes you think GSP has better wrestling? Usman has 100% TDD in UFC, GSP has been taken down.

Usman’s striking has greatly improved since working with Trevor Wittman. Usman is more versatile than GSP with his stance switches. I would say it’s quit even now.

GSP has better BJJ.
Usman is way more powerful.
GSP might be a bit faster.
Usman fights on a higher pace and throws more strikes and never looks tired. GSP has slowed down in late rounds before. Usman probably has better cardio than GSP.

Usman is also bigger and a bit longer.

The only way for GSP to win is to try to submit Usman, but that’s very unlikely. He might also lead the striking exchanges early but Usman would take over because of his size, power and cardio.

70/30 Usman

His TDD is over-rated. He's defended 20 takedowns in his UFC Career and 15 of them were from Maia....The remaining were RDA (1), Burns (3) and Woodley. None of these guys have been known for their takedowns, unlike GSP who fought Koscheck, Hughes, Fitch, Shields, etc.

Gotta go with gsp here.. i believe that this usman would beat a green gsp but the fighter that most people consider gsp would deal with usman via better everything..

Usman still has time..

Unless GSP takes it easy like he did against Serra i see no path for victory

What do you mean he took it easy? GSP tapped to strikes

gif8.gif

They're the 2 best WW's I've ever seen. I could see either beating the other but GSP has more in his skillset and has proven himself more often in the big fights, some of which were wars. The latter is the difference.

More skills? Idk about that, possibly and even if he does it doesn’t necessarily mean he would win. And experience just comes with time, the more fights Usman gets in the better he will become until he reaches then end of his prime. Let’s compare the two fighter in the categories that I feel are important.

Strength and Size- Usman

Cardio- Usman

Stand up- GSP has a better jab but Usman is greatly improving in this area and has more KO power. If Hendricks could put a beating on GSP so can Usman.

Slight favor to GSP though based on speed, distance control and overall experience. But if Usman gets another KO in his next fight then I will have to give it to him in having the better stand up.

Grappling- GSP, but it doesn’t really matter cause their wrestling will cancel each other’s out. If one were to get a takedown the other will just stand right back up. But if somehow GSP can keep him down which I doubt, then yes, GSP has shown to have the better ground skills.

Game plan/Intelligence- Equal. People are really sleeping on Usman here. He keeps saying over and over how he is so mentally ahead of all other fighters in his weight class and it really is showing. Both have shown to create and implement smart game-plans and take advantage of their opponents weaknesses. I don’t think either fighter is dumb enough to play into each other’s strengths if they were to match up.

This is probably the most underrated category in all of MMA and is what what really separates Champions from contenders.

Last edited:
Stand up- GSP has a better jab but Usman is greatly improving in this area and has more KO power. If Hendricks could put a beating on GSP so can Usman.

Slight favor to GSP though based on speed, distance control and overall experience. But if Usman gets another KO in his next fight then I will have to give it to him in having the better stand up.

I generally agree with most of your post but this doesn't add up. Usman getting another KO in his next fight does not make him a better striker, it's not that simple.

GSP really has the edge pretty much everywhere else other than punching power. And what we haven't mentioned is GSP's ATG TD-threat, he might be the best I've seen at faking TD's into landing strikes. Even with Usman's 100% TDD, it will be a huge headache to differentiate between a GSP-double leg or a high kick, or a superman punch. GSP was extremely good at mixing it up.

And Prime Hendricks was a different fighter, a far more dynamic striker. He could go hard from inside and longe range at a high pace for 5 rounds and had legit 1 punch KO power(Usman is not at this level standing plus he wears guys down instead of making their heads explode with 1 shot) Plus he was a southpaw. That's what made it a very tough night for GSP.

His TDD is over-rated. He's defended 20 takedowns in his UFC Career and 15 of them were from Maia....The remaining were RDA (1), Burns (3) and Woodley. None of these guys have been known for their takedowns, unlike GSP who fought Koscheck, Hughes, Fitch, Shields, etc.
Burns is good wrestler and BJJ world champ, Woodley is D1, RDA averages 2 TD per fight. All of them are very decent wrestlers. What about Colby? Dude has landed 58 takedowns in UFC, yet he didn’t even attempt one against Usman. It tells you everything you have to know about his TDD

GSP by decision, without a doubt on my mind.

Controls every aspect of the fight, then proceed to read hundreds of threads about him being "boring", or how Usman was never that good, just because GSP nullified him.

Burns is good wrestler and BJJ world champ, Woodley is D1, RDA averages 2 TD per fight. All of them are very decent wrestlers. What about Colby? Dude has landed 58 takedowns in UFC, yet he didn’t even attempt one against Usman. It tells you everything you have to know about his TDD

Colby didnt go for takedowns
Woodley doesn't go for takedowns
RDA and Burns are both BJJ guys which have decent takedowns but aren't anything special

Fitch, Hughes, Shields Koscheck >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Woodley, Burns and RDA

Usman fans are straight delusional. He's an elite fighter but GSP is the best.
This is coming from a dude who disliked GSP and his fighting style most his career.

Back