Media User on r/MMA did profiles of all of the people responsible for UFC rankings.

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Credit to kneeco28.

I've never heard of any of these people except for Andreas Hale.

Wow great topic Phisher. That reddit guy should be an MMA journalist if he's not already.

Good job to the reddit dood, thanks for the TS.

We already knew ranking were shoddy. At least we can organize marches and protest outside these people's offices now.

The ranking are fake, dewd

SimpleLimpIndusriverdolphin-max-1mb.gif

Who cares?

Yeah this, I could gaf about rankings, they don't really matter anyway as far as I know. Regardless of rankings, the UFC will make the fights they want to make and maybe change rankings to justify the fight, not the other way around.

In case anyone is interested, last year i called out a panelist on his shit rankings, he goes by BrMassami on twitter, he's brazilian and lives in Japan. Picks fights by going for the most popular fighter.
That dude had Gokhan Saki (1-1 MMA) ranked at 205, and dismissed by argument for ranking Dominick Reyes and Aleksander Rakic over him. Absolute clueless about the sport.
My point is: even some of those guys who are in the MMA media, they are all morons, they barely follow the sport, pretty much.
a0b76ebd57778bb1cfbd0b68f48c218a.png

ca174e275953066e3b5dc6518e7dd39d.png

After that exchange, in which he went for the low and pathetic @ fighter, the dude blocked me. Hilarious.

I bet you could find 14 dudes on Sherdog to come up with a better consensus rankings.

Hmmmm, anyone want to take part?

being from hawaii, rob demello is a commonly heard name in our local news broadcasts. its kind of funny to see his name there, and i had no idea.

People saying "who cares" dismiss the fact it directly impacts a fighters career. Plenty of people care.

Why does the UFC even bother to pretend they don't control this shit? they have to pretend its independent for the commissions or some shit?

The rankings have always been fucke , for this very reason. The people who do them have no requirements, and as the reddit user points out, they have extremely disproportionate power.

I've always thought they should just use the formulaic ranking system used by Fight Matrix.

I understand why the UFC doesn't use it (they want to retain power), but I think it's a mistake. Legitimate rankings, that are objective, would help return some order to the sport, and give people a much clearer path to the top of divisions. It'd give fans a much better idea about what potential match ups should be, as it'd be much easier to actually plot a path through the division.

Fighters and fans would win, the UFC would lose a little power, but I think it's be ultimately better for the sport, therefore better for the UFC.

Back