Use this choke much? (Front Choke)

Big Red

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am unaware of the correct name for this technique, but I'll describe it as best I can & hopefully you are familiar with what I mean.
Say from the mount, you reach one arm, lets say the left, around the back of your opponents head. You then cup your right bicep and close your inner right forearm against your head grabbing your right bi. Now, slide your right hand under your opponents neck and apply pressure.

I got tapped earlier in the week, by a regular guy I spar with. He is about 20 lbs heavier than me and alot more experienced. My question is, how do you get this choke to work? I tried it on a non grappling buddy, but MMA fan after training and found it only beneficial if I change my position to knee on belly. I can't seem to get the pressure from the mount.

Also, what are your opinions on this choke? I find it awkward to put on and its not that impressive on the eye, but when in the right place, its a strong choke. My sparring partner who tapped me with it, seemed to stretch and turn into more into a neck crank.

If you don't have the arm it mostly just makes them grind there teeth and causes discomfort. We had a guy come in and tap people using it. I just let him hold me in it until he got tired and then armbarred him.

The proper technique for it is to trap the arm across I believe the neck and then apply it. That will actually put someone out, is much tighter and is proper technique.When you trap the arm its also much harder for them to escape. I only use the move when I am trying to frustarte or keep pressure on my opponent so I can work for a real submission. Typically a Kimura or Americana.

The move your friend tapped you with was a shitty technique desperate move. I would reccomend putting your forearm to his head or neck necktime and pushing up. The more he pulls the more he hurts himself. Be careful he doesn't snatch the arm in there when you do it. I would also say if he continues to use it just tie up one of his arms when he is in your guard or has mount. I also find people are vulnerable to getting sweeped and then mounted if they are on top you can push our of the move with a cross face, arm in the throat or push on there head.

I guess if you have a Gi on, you can grip your own sleeves and use that to get a tighter grip. I don't like that choke much though.

You are actually supposed to move from mount to side mount while doing a side choke to make it tighter and to prevent being swept.

scorcho said:
You are actually supposed to move from mount to side mount while doing a side choke to make it tighter and to prevent being swept.

Which is much easier when you have an arm trapped in the choke. Again its a shitty choke.

LCDforMe said:
I guess if you have a Gi on, you can grip your own sleeves and use that to get a tighter grip. I don't like that choke much though.

change ur av somebody already has it

scorcho said:
What he said...also squeeze with the arms and apply pressure with your shoulder/bodyweight. isn't it almost like an anoconda but in a different position?

-Jon

jiujitsujayhawk said:
Is this just a fist choke??? It's hard to tell with just a written description.

No dood. Sorry for my lack of imagery in my decription. Hmm.. you know the way your hands are positioned around the head on a rear naked choke. Imagine the exact same position, but having your opponent facing you. It's sort of like an eziquiel (sp?) choke but without gripping your gi. It feels more of a neck crank, because the way my pal pushes his weight upwards under my chin and holding the back arm at the bottom of my neck.

This almost sounds like one of the chokes Bas Rutten used to put some guy out in one of his old Pancrase fights. That was actually scary because the dude (I can't remember his name) was OUT. So out that he couldn't tap. Eventually Bas just let it go, and the dude just flopped there. Eyes open, but rolled into the back of his head. Creepy.
Is that the same choke?

b0necrusher said:
This almost sounds like one of the chokes Bas Rutten used to put some guy out in one of his old Pancrase fights. That was actually scary because the dude (I can't remember his name) was OUT. So out that he couldn't tap. Eventually Bas just let it go, and the dude just flopped there. Eyes open, but rolled into the back of his head. Creepy.
Is that the same choke?

Once again Bas had the arm trapped when he did it.

Those kind of chokes can work, but are easy to escape. Anytime someone puts their arm behind your head from the mount (imagine their left arm) just put your right hand up to your ear (answering the phone) to trap his armd their, lock up his left ankle with your right foot, and buck to the right. He will have nothing to post with, and his weight will be down low.

Be careful using these kind of techniques from the top because you lose your hand to post with, and it's easy to get rolled over.

That defense can be used against you if they push your arm across. I prefer if they put one arm behind my head to trap the other arm. I am a noob though.

Back