USADA is Frankenstein's Monster: seemed like a Great Leap Forward, but now it's out of control

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/12/...a-unfair-changes-machida-diaz-ped-suspensions

UFC’s anti-doping programme is flawed and needs to be changed

USADA_Logo.0.png

* Inconsistent Decisions

Lyoto Machida received 18 months for disclosing that he took 7-keto-DHEA. Ferreira received 17 months for disclosing that he took 7-keto-DHEA and testing positive for ostarine (which turned out to be a hidden ingredient in his 7-keto-DHEA supplement). This inconsistency is a major issue.

* Inappropriate Classification of substances

7-keto-DHEA shouldn’t even carry a two year suspension. It is grouped as an “anabolic agent” despite not having any intrinsic anabolic effects, as WADA admitted to the UK’s advisory council on the misuse of drugs.

Technically, 7-keto-DHEA shouldn’t carry any suspension, because it doesn’t meet 2 of the 3 criteria set by WADA for a banned substance. The criteria are:
  • Potential to enhance sports performance
  • Actual or potential health risk to an athlete
  • Violates the spirit of the sport
frankenstein_s_monster_by_scott_the_stampede-d5xtwps.jpg

* Athletes are banned from presenting evidence showing a substance is mis-classified

WADA’s determination of the Prohibited Substances and Prohibited Methods that will be included on the Prohibited List, the classification of substances into categories on the Prohibited List, and the classification of a substance as prohibited at all times or In-Competition only, is final and shall not be subject to challenge by an Athlete or other Person based on an argument that the substance or method was not a masking agent or did not have the potential to enhance performance, represent a health risk or violate the spirit of sport.

Even in situations where other governing bodies consult experts and determine that WADA misclassified a substance, as happened with Mamadou Sakho, WADA still doesn't have to change their list.

* USADA’s inconsistency

Ferreira and Machida both had their policy violations happen in April this year. Despite Machida’s violation being for only 7-keto-DHEA, he still received a longer suspension than Ferreira. I reached out to USADA to ask why this inconsistency occurred. As with my previous emails, I have received no reply.

...when Nate Diaz admitted to using a banned substance at a press conference—during the in-competition period, as defined in the anti-doping policy—he received no punishment.

1583057110.jpg

* Transparency

There are transparency issues as well: USADA seem to only give comment or information to media who are uncritical of them.

* Evidence-led decision making

The entire prohibited list needs to be based on evidence, which isn’t the case with the WADA prohibited list. Currently, WADA has no need to provide evidence that a substance meets any of the criteria necessary to be banned. In fact, WADA has openly admitted to banning substances purely because athletes take it.

WADA banned meldonium before having any evidence it enhances performance or affects athlete health. Worse, they banned it before even knowing how to accurately test for it. That led to several athletes being wrongly suspended after WADA admitted it had no idea if they took the banned substance before or after it was banned.

* Athletes' Rights

Athletes need to be able to challenge their punishment in a genuinely neutral setting. The current arbitration policy forces athletes to use an arbitration service operated by McLaren Global Sport Solutions, who have a “strategic relationship” with both WADA and USADA.

VH-1-Beer-Seems-Legit.jpg

///

Since USADA has been introduced to the UFC it is running wild testing people dozens of times, sometimes 3 times in one week and busting every man and his dog, mostly for irrelevant substances which make little to no difference to athletic performance. As outlined above the way it is done is excessive, inconsistent, illogical and unfair. Most disturbingly of all some of the testing does seem to be targeted, there also have been issues with puzzling delays on results being returned when certain fighters are involved.

5314787.jpg

If USADA is going to play this big of a role in the sport and be collaring people left and right they should sick the new Fighters' Union on it as priority 1, and there needs to be a heavy watchdog brought in, something that is not going to be easy to capture as the UFC does have big bucks at its disposal and we know through its history the organisation has been involved in many shady deals. At the moment it is messing up people's careers for no good reason and it is not accountable.

just end the UFC partnership

to hell with USADA

Didn't read tbh, but you get a like for calling it Frankenstein's monster and not Frankenstein like most people

I'm torn. On the one hand, I do feel like there needs to be rigorous drug testing in the UFC.

On the other hand, USADA is too corrupt and/or incompetent of an organization to be administering this drug testing.

1,2 USADAs coming for you
3,4 better lock your gym door
5,6 forget your roid fix
7,8 better stay out late
9,10 never fight again

I actually agree with this. They seem to be working out kinks on the fly, but are kind of ruining careers in doing it. They should have taken a much more conservative approach while they got their shit together.

Was it USADA that gave nick diaz a 5 year (pretty much half an mma career) suspension for smoking pot?

Thats really disgraceful imo

buncha fighters piss hot. so their managers/team go find them supplements with said banned ingredients and get reduced sentence.....fighters are out of control , not usada<6>FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES

Yeah.. no. when a single innocent person gets in trouble you can start but everyone they've got so far is guilty as shit. Stop buying the lies like the gullible sheep the fighters think you are.

Who would have thunk cyborg pissing hot would be the final straw for USADA.

Whoever wrote that article is a fucking idiot

USADA is perfect and busts cheaters. Cyborg is a long time cheat and has been caught again. Of course according to these fighters it's never their fault. Again - whoever wrote that article, should never write for a prestigious MMA site again.

Well then...stop complaining and be part of the solution. USADA is hiring DCO's right now as we speak. USADA needs you! :)

You too can
  • Plan and manage doping control test assignments
  • Recruit, train and oversee Chaperones
  • Witness sample collection or overseeing the witnessing of the Sample Collection Process
  • Ability to perform urine and/or blood collections
  • Process athlete Samples according to USADA's protocol and procedures

http://www.usada.org/about/careers/

Thought this was about Rafael dos Anjos.

Son I am disappoint.

buncha fighters piss hot. so their managers/team go find them supplements with said banned ingredients and get reduced sentence.....fighters are out of control , not usada<6>FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES
Agreed. Love the usada. Fucking hate cheating cunts.

i loooooooooove you USADA

Was it USADA that gave nick diaz a 5 year (pretty much half an mma career) suspension for smoking pot?

Thats really disgraceful imo
No. It was the NSAC. USADA says pot is okay out of competition - basically, don't test for it on fight night and you're good. That's a much more reasonable approach than NSAC's bullshit.

Theres so much wrong with that article I cant even be bothered anymore to disect it.

The writer is pissed because USADA dont reply to his emails, hes taken it personally and now is on a one man quest.. hes also an arrogant eejit that has the opinion "i am right, anyone who disagrees with me is wrong"

that said, dont take my word for it.

This is Richard Ing's opinion.

Richard is probably one of the most respected names in Anti-doping. Former CEO of Australian Sports Anti Doping Authority and former Vice President of Rules & Competition on the ATP Tour.

This guy knows his shit, is mega active in the anti doping community, someone I look to for opinion etc.

When he says "disagree with most" its fair to say that he knows what hes talking about

No. It was the NSAC. USADA says pot is okay out of competition - basically, don't test for it on fight night and you're good. That's a much more reasonable approach than NSAC's bullshit.
Oh my bad.

I do feel like USADA has back tracked on a lot of things after appeals, which is not the way an organization like this should be run.. do fighters have to pay for appeals even if the appeal is successful?

I just hate to see fighters getting drained by bullshit subjective penalties and admin costs, its already extremely hard to make a living as a professional fighter

Also having to report whereabouts 24/7 is bullshit, and imo violation of personal freedoms

That being said i am against PEDs cause i dont think a human being should have to shrivel his balls to have a fair chance at competing in a professional sport, especially one that has inherent adverse long term health effects already

Lose / lose situation i guess

Cheaters gonna cheat

Back