US, Mexico, and Canada to Co-Host 2026 World Cup

American adults have low (and declining) reading proficiency
By BY HECTOR TOBAR | OCT 08, 2013

BCVHSYLZRRGSJPXI7TJWXAW26Y.jpg

The reading skills of American adults are significantly lower than those of adults in most other developed countries, according to a new international survey.

What's more, over the last two decades Americans' reading proficiency has declined across most age groups, and has only improved significantly for 65-year-olds.

The study of 160,000 people by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which is composed of two dozen developed nations, found that U.S. adults had reading levels that were below average, and lagged far behind those of Japan (which scored at the top), several Scandinavian countries, Australia and Korea. Test takers in Spain, Italy, Ireland and several other countries hardest hit by the Great Recession scored lower than Americans did.

Americans also scored lower than average in math and technological problem solving.

"It's long been known that America's school kids haven't measured well compared with international peers," the Associated Press wrote in a survey of the study. "Now, there's a new twist: Adults don't either." And it appears students who leave high school without certain basic skills are not learning those skills later in adult education or job training programs.

Dolores Perin, professor of psychology and education at Teachers College, Columbia University, told the AP that the report provides a "good basis for an argument there should be more resources to support adults with low literacy."

Perusing deeper into the study (it's available for download), one finds a table in which the results of two literacy tests, given in 1994 and 2012 are compared. People in their thirties and forties in 2012 scored significantly lower than people in their same age group in 1994. The drop among 30-year-olds was less dramatic.

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacket...roficiency-20131008-story.html?outputType=amp
giphy.gif

That should be a good choice. Good places to visit, no new stadiums will have to be built (only to be abandoned), and as a Swede I can't ignore the nostalgia of the last time the US hosted the World Cup.

Americans also scored lower than average in math and technological problem solving.

Lol. Well, when you take out things like wood shop class, car mechanics, mechanical drawing, and other similar courses, and replace them with safe space arts and crafts. When you have kids take Software Apps class, instead of computer programming. When you make smart kids test down to the level of not smart kids. When you take out any incentive to excel, because that would be opposed to a safe space environment, where everyone is suppose to be equal.

Let me guess Clifton? Do you eat at Rutt's Hutt a lot?

Belleville actually. But I've been Rutt's Hut. Not as often as I should and it's been a while actually. Might have to stop by there sometime next week.

incidentally speakin'... I have a group text with my tenants (I own a 2-unit home) and somebody spray painted a big dick on the side street right next my house. kinda of funny but we decided to cover it up. so one of my tenants used black spray paint to cover over it the white paint and he ended making look like a black dick with lots of hairs... he sends us the pics and we're all dying of laughter from his horrible attempt. I am like "you shoulda made it bigger since it's a black dick now!"...

aaahhh fun times.. lol

Fun fact:

In 1983, Colombia declares that it cannot fulfill the prequisites given for the 1986 cup and withdraws.

Mexico steps in with only 3 years of notice, in 1985 the worst earthquake in recent Mexican history hits Mexico city with 10,000 deaths and a lot of destruction thats only 8 months before the cup and FIFA considers cancelling the cup.

And yet Mexico still pulled it off.

Again, you're ignoring that those large stadiums aren't fit for soccer. Do new stadiums need to be built? No .Do they need to be properly fitted for soccer? Yes. Example London Stadium (2012) became the home of West Ham United . London got convinced (swindled) into paying about $250M to properly fit the stadium for soccer. The stadiums here would need removable retrofitting to properly accommodate soccer and then convert back to their primary use . It likely isn't as much as the London Stadium cost wise but still a cost with how many stadiums (at least in the US) will need to be changed .

Anytime you want to keep talking out of your ass let me know .
We have the international champions cup here every summer. You’re unaware.

American adults have low (and declining) reading proficiency
By BY HECTOR TOBAR | OCT 08, 2013

BCVHSYLZRRGSJPXI7TJWXAW26Y.jpg

The reading skills of American adults are significantly lower than those of adults in most other developed countries, according to a new international survey.

What's more, over the last two decades Americans' reading proficiency has declined across most age groups, and has only improved significantly for 65-year-olds.

The study of 160,000 people by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which is composed of two dozen developed nations, found that U.S. adults had reading levels that were below average, and lagged far behind those of Japan (which scored at the top), several Scandinavian countries, Australia and Korea. Test takers in Spain, Italy, Ireland and several other countries hardest hit by the Great Recession scored lower than Americans did.

"It's long been known that America's school kids haven't measured well compared with international peers," the Associated Press wrote in a survey of the study. "Now, there's a new twist: Adults don't either." And it appears students who leave high school without certain basic skills are not learning those skills later in adult education or job training programs.

Dolores Perin, professor of psychology and education at Teachers College, Columbia University, told the AP that the report provides a "good basis for an argument there should be more resources to support adults with low literacy."

Perusing deeper into the study (it's available for download), one finds a table in which the results of two literacy tests, given in 1994 and 2012 are compared. People in their thirties and forties in 2012 scored significantly lower than people in their same age group in 1994. The drop among 30-year-olds was less dramatic.

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacket...roficiency-20131008-story.html?outputType=amp
TL/DR

Fun fact:

In 1983, Colombia declares that it cannot fulfill the prequisites given for the 1986 cup and withdraws.

Mexico steps in with only 3 years of notice, in 1985 the worst earthquake in recent Mexican history hits Mexico city with 10,000 deaths and a lot of destruction thats only 8 months before the cup and FIFA considers cancelling the cup.

And yet Mexico still pulled it off.

This is a very good economic boost for Mexico if the government can keep all the tourists safe.

Guadarajara is on the list of host cities, and we have seen that name quite often on the international news segment. Is 8 years enough time to get the cartels out of the tourist areas that they have been taking over?

Last edited:
I wonder if the games in Canada will be on turf.

This is a very good economic boost for Mexico if the government can keep all the tourists safe.

Guadarajara is on the list of host cities, and we have seen that name quite often on the international news segment. Is 8 years enough time to get the cartels out of the tourist areas that they have been taking over?

Guadalajara is still tame compared to other areas, its making the new because of the high profile shootouts in there as CJNG is getting a lot of flak for getting too big.

Guadalajara will be fine in a year or so, also it is already packing with tourism despite this violence, i dont think it will be a big boost for the city.

LOL.

You are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. All our major cities have large stadiums (professional and college) that can easily accomodate. Most MLS teams played on these stadiums while they waited for their city to build their own (smaller) soccer stadiums (because soccer isn't as popular here in the US). We won't have too much of a problem converting some of them for the World Cup and we will probably not use any of the MLS stadiums cause they're too small capacity wise. We certainly didn't have a problem when we hosted the World Cup back in 1994.

I promise you not one new stadium will be built for this World Cup. Not only that but I don't anticipate any of them will upgrade their stadium for it. If they are being upgraded, it will be for their home team.

So... ummm yeah you the one talking out of your ass for not understanding how well setup with are here to host a World Cup. If we are talking about Olympics then that's a totally different story because it's one city hosting everything and that's a nightmare to do.
Are you retarded or what? I never said a new stadium would have to be built. I said infrastructure in the surroundings areas would need to be improved PLUS the changes made to host stadiums (at least in the US/Canada) to properly accommodate soccer.

Again you have zero idea about what exactly goes into hosting a mega event. Sports specifically economics behind mega events is the field I'm in so please take a back seat thanks.
South Africa and Greece had MANY problems to begin with, hosting the Olympics/World Cup was just a symptom of shitty decision making

You're absolutely right those countries had a lot of under lying problems. However, for Athens for example, it cost Greece 9B. Greece ended up losing 14.5B on that deal which is lol their shitty economy can't take it.

In the US, the entire US economy can handle (albeit it's still awful shitty) a loss like that, however, when a local economy pitches in even half of that it is likely to feel it hard down the line. A non sports example is Foxconn in Wisconsin. Wisconsin is giving up $4.5B in incentives in the hope that Foxconn somehow turns them around. Bipartisan estimates are 30-40 YEARS to recoup that lost money.

Well in the USA and Canada case, they will just have to use the football stadiums. They wont have to change anything. The ones we both have should have enough seats albeit not close to the pitch, but oh well. Mexico though will have plenty of proper stadiums. They should have more games there.

Absolutely correct, Mexico very well should host the major games as their soccer stadiums are more appropriate for soccer than the large non soccer stadiums the US/Canada have

We have the international champions cup here every summer. You’re unaware.

Nice you're comparing a set of friendlies (exhibitions) to the World fucking Cup. gtfo

Are you retarded or what? I never said a new stadium would have to be built. I said infrastructure in the surroundings areas would need to be improved PLUS the changes made to host stadiums (at least in the US/Canada) to properly accommodate soccer.

Again you have zero idea about what exactly goes into hosting a mega event. Sports specifically economics behind mega events is the field I'm in so please take a back seat thanks.

You are the one that had no idea what you are talking about.

Infrastructure around most of our big cities are already built for mass tourism. Selected cities may elect to build a few more hotels or renovate or build more roads but it won’t be a massive endeavor.

You focused on one statement about me telling u no new stadiums will be build and ignored (the upgrade part).

We’ve hosted the World Cup and plenty of Olympics before. It won’t be that big of an adjustment. You’re overstating how much we will actually spend on making the World Cup happen. I am telling you due to the fact that most of our big cities already have multiple teams of different sports we are generally already setup to handle this event.

Nice you're comparing a set of friendlies (exhibitions) to the World fucking Cup. gtfo
Those games fill our largest stadiums. We also have Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta with 71k capacity that is Soccer only. The US is well prepared to host the WC.

Back