Uriah Didn't Give Up

It's possible Simone's case of the twisties spread to some international traveler from Japan to US of A and infected Hall. One more reason to mask up.

There was plenty of times where he had Strickland leaning back or stepping back after throwing a jab. This is when you can throw a kick. Uriah never threw a combo of hands plus kicks. His corner even told him either after the 2nd or 3rd to throw the kick after he backed up Strickland with hands. He never did. He threw jabs OR an occasional kick.

He also never threw kick DURING Stricklands jab. Strickland's pressure wasn't so constant that there werent' PLENTY of times for a distance reset. And Uriah Hall ACCEPTED the punching range instead of keeping kicking range. Kicks will outrange jabs, and kicking the lead leg as a jabber steps in best way to nullify a jab heavy game. Uriah seemingly only threw rare and random low kicks.

Because most of the kicks were being checked. And it's hard to time a low kick off of someone's jab especially when it's so constant.

Something wrong with Hall upstairs. He is a brilliant tactician with freakish strength but zero killer instinct. He's got PTSD or something from almost murdering that dude on TUF.
I flipped away from Showtime Bellator and caught the entire Round 1 and looked like Sean was locked in mentally and Hall wasn't.

Now is the time for Luke Rockhold to return to Middleweight!!!

I'm certain after tonight's performances he would be a decent contender!

Because most of the kicks were being checked. And it's hard to time a low kick off of someone's jab especially when it's so constant.
"Most". He threw like 4 the whole fight. I think I counted 2 that were checked solid.

Again, the reason why they would be checked is because he threw them with no setup or with no countertiming. (just like Weidman did)

As for the second point:
(1) you can force your opponent to step into jabs if you actually stand outside of boxing range, making it much easier to see them coming to counter. Yes, Strickland was pressuring, but as I said, it was not Khabib-like pressure. There were PLENTY of resets for Hall to establish distance.

(2) Hall showed the ability to counter right cross some of those jabs, or at the very least, put his guard up. The window for counter a jab with a kick is fairly wide as you cant check as your landing a jab or even a short period after. I literally use getting jabbed sometimes as a trigger for a low kick.

Im not saying Strickland didn't make it hard for Uriah to work, but any kickboxer worth his salt would be able to respond to that approach and at least make Strickland have to adjust a bit and punish him for being 1-note. Uriah did nothing of the sort for 5 whole rounds. And that's on him mostly.

"Most". He threw like 4 the whole fight. I think I counted 2 that were checked solid.

Again, the reason why they would be checked is because he threw them with no setup or with no countertiming. (just like Weidman did)

As for the second point:
(1) you can force your opponent to step into jabs if you actually stand outside of boxing range, making it much easier to see them coming to counter. Yes, Strickland was pressuring, but as I said, it was not Khabib-like pressure. There were PLENTY of resets for Hall to establish distance.

(2) Hall showed the ability to counter right cross some of those jabs, or at the very least, put his guard up. The window for counter a jab with a kick is fairly wide as you cant check as your landing a jab or even a short period after. I literally use getting jabbed sometimes as a trigger for a low kick.

Im not saying Strickland didn't make it hard for Uriah to work, but any kickboxer worth his salt would be able to respond to that approach and at least make Strickland have to adjust a bit and punish him for being 1-note. Uriah did nothing of the sort for 5 whole rounds. And that's on him mostly.

He threw more than that but in order for you to set them up with the hands requires you take the lead sometimes. Sean was comfortably rolling and countering off of Uriah the few times he was trying to be the aggressor. Even when Uriah was throwing, Sean stayed in close boxing range. Sometimes in clinch range. But most of the fight was spent with Sean suffocating Uriah who just couldn't keep up.

I think you're underestimating how difficult Sean made it for Uriah to be effective.

I dont understand why he didn't kick more. Strickland is probably a top 5 guy. He puts on so much pressure.
Reminds me of how Diaz cracked Cerrone with a bunch of 1-2s and pressured, Cerrone didn't really get to throw kicks that fight either. That said when Hall threw those calf kicks they landed, and then he just abandoned it entirely wtf.

Eh at least people can’t deny she’s a quitter.

You realize that’s not true right? Like, read what you wrote lmao.
It’s true. Her not competing dosent change her ranking. Learn about sports before you open your mouth. You’re making people not want to use the site if they see you being so uninformed. Please try better dude to understand things that come out of your mouth. Just a TIP

It’s true. Her not competing dosent change her ranking. Learn about sports before you open your mouth. You’re making people not want to use the site if they see you being so uninformed. Please try better dude to understand things that come out of your mouth. Just a TIP
So did she finish the competition... or not? You’re saying for others to better understand things... yet you yourself seem to be having a hard time understanding a simple word of the English language. I’d at least start there and try that first.

just a tip

My point is, it wasn't a mental thing like he gave up or something. He tried.

He just lost to the better fighter.

It was actually nice to see him go out there and put in his best effort. It just wasn't enough.
It never seemed like he really got going imo.

Infuriating fight to watch.

Eh at least people can’t deny she’s a quitter.

You realize that’s not true right? Like, read what you wrote lmao.
No such thing.

she went home lol

how’s that quitting?

Show me the competition she quit? Is there footage of this? If not you’re lying

So did she finish the competition... or not? You’re saying for others to better understand things... yet you yourself seem to be having a hard time understanding a simple word of the English language. I’d at least start there and try that first.

just a tip

Yeah she finished

yeah i don't think he gave up. i was admittedly drunk while watching it, but it just looked to me like a cerrone / diaz type deal, where they're both good strikers but one has no clue how to handle constant pressure.

People who were surprised by Hall performance clearly don't know the dude. He's the definition of hot & cold. I suspect a Dragonball spinning flying shit KO in his next fight. It goes full circle.

Those moral victories really look great on a fighter’s record??

Ah so it’s came out she couldn’t take her drugs. Kinda adds up.

Also stop it lol, you know she quit.
She didn’t quit. How can she quit it she left before it began? That’s not what quitting is. Please stop making us look bad. The people who don’t know a lot about Mma will read your posts and JUDGE you. I’m telling uoi to stop now. Please. It’s just a bad look and it’s embarrassing

He got outworked by the better boxer but he didn't give up.
while true, he didn't have any urgency, which always pisses me off.
You are losing. what the fuck do you have to lose? Go all out. Get knocked out, but at least try.

You are clearly being outworked... continue being gun-shy does not scream "I want to win". This is not a sport to go half-way.
You go all in, or you don't get to be the champ.
For someone like him, that claimed he was ready to go for the belt, he was far too passive IMO.

Back