Urge to spew when grappling

Yin Yang

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
When grappling, especially in certain postions like when your opponent has knee on belly, I get the urge to spew, or feel like i'm going to spew and need to tap. What is the cause of this?

1. Conditioning?
2. Not breathing correctly?

Anyone can give me tips on how best to combat this?

Well i get this nearly errytime - i think for me its diet as i only eat shit tho most days i have a coupla packets of quavers(thats it) - the worst thing with drinking during sparring is that any liquid i drink just seems to coagulate into sum gummy shit in my throat.

In response to the second post: :eek:

And to the TS: If you don't wanna end up spewing in training, don't eat anything for at least 2 hours before training. It's not good for your body to be trying to digest stuff while you're also asking it to move vigorously.

I got this once, but only because I had eaten like an infant's bodyweight worth of spaghetti and the guy got a body triangle on me.

1. Don't eat within three hours of class
2. Stay hydrated - Gatorade was invented for a reason
3. Breathe
4. Lift more weights and run more sprints

probably poor conditioning and improper breathing, both of them

however, I wouldn't say DON'T eat (you'll feel like shit in a different way) just be smart about what/when you eat before class.

I eat 2 hours before class (whatever we're having for dinner, which is usually a nice chicken/etc meal) and have a piece of fruit before I leave the house

runs fine

Dont eat 2 hours before if you do make sure its agranola bar or something like that , and seriously sip your water dont gulp .

oh and look up ways to escape the knee on belly .

I have never had that urge at all, so I guess my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. That said - if knee on belly is so uncomfortable to you, you definitely need to strengthen your core and learn how to breathe while under that kind of pressure. Having that kind of hard time with stuff like knee on belly and body triangles is usually only something we see with beginners. People toughen up with time and training.

Also, yes, don't stuff your face with loads of crap right before training.

Two hours is the serious cut off line for eating and nothing too big should be consumed the hour before that as well. I found out the easy way but trained with someone who found out the hard way and tbh I almost got puked on because I decided to pull guard.

May not be a bad thing... If I had knee on belly and someone yacked all over me, I might give up the position.

Conditioning. Spazzing. Eating too much. Drinking too much. Smoking/other health problems. Core/abdominal strength (if is is purely KOB related).

i try not to eat at least 4 hours or more before doing bjj. i hate the feeling of stuff sloshing around in my stomach when doing rigorous stuff.

sidenote: i thought "spewing" was something totally different from throwing up. :eek:

4 hours?

That's too long between meals really :)

This really can't be all about food. I've always had a hard time getting out of bed, so at times I'll literally be eating falafel and stuff walking to practice and be done right as I go through the door. Yet, I've never felt this way. I have to think it's a matter of strength/breathing or a mental issue - as in, perhaps he panics.

Or maybe he's just a LW training with SHWs...

in through your nose, out through your mouth

Back