Upside down guard?

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes to prevent someone from passing your guard you can spin upside down. The problem I have from that point is preventing the north-south attack, i.e. the guy tries to collapse down on you. I saw someone posting about the upside down guard -- does anyone know of any instructionals or advice on how to maintain guard upside down like that?

leglocks from there...all day

Also, try feeding through his legs to take the back.

It is a position to stop briefly in while grabbing an arm, taking the back, or replacing full guard. You can also trasition to triangle. Not somewhere where you can really consider yourself "safe"

Blake Bowman said:
leglocks from there...all day

Also, try feeding through his legs to take the back.

Darn. You all beat me to it. Haha. In rolling if I end up in this position, I figure-4 my legs and go to town with toeholds.

Blake Bowman said:
that would be your favorite expression if we were rolling too ;)

Lol. Buuurn.

Aw man. I miss rolling. I'm in the middle of wrestling season, because I know in the end it'll help me with MMA, but I miss sparring and rolling :icon_sad:

Oh well. Blake, it wouldn't matter. I bought Matt Furey's Primate Power book , so my King Kong strength alone will crush you, but then I'm going to buy his Catch Wrestling DVDs and tap you out easily anyways. Have fun with your silly Jiu-Jitsu and weight training, sucker.

Here's me after only 3 DAYS of the workout

BEFORE
337870333_l.jpg

AFTER
gorilla.jpg

*braces self for slap*

As a precautionary measure, just so you all know, if I'm ever talking about owning or buying anything by Matt Furey, you can pretty much be sure the ensuing paragraph will be sarcasm and humor.

Most of the time this upside down guard is an open guard as opposed to a close guard. Its a good way to switch up the fight against a guy who say has a good base, is hard to sweep, and has a good pass- this game changes things up a bit and can give you the edge you need to reverse or catch him, since people dont deal with it on a regular basis. As far as footlocks, Im assuming you're referring to the guy using upside down guard getting footlocked- being that this guard is more effective in gi and most footlocks are illegal in gi (and more easily defended) thats not a big issue unless you're brown belt or above.

There are many sweeps, reversals, and submissions that you can hit from there. The key to keeping your opponent from getting north south is to keep your hips well off the ground (i.e. you should be flexible enough to maintain this guard without feeling a stretch to get maximum effects). As far as no gi is concerned, I mainly use the upside down guard as a transtional position to regain the guard, but if your opponent insists on smashing you, you can very well keep going to his back.

VanDamme said:
Most of the time this upside down guard is an open guard as opposed to a close guard. Its a good way to switch up the fight against a guy who say has a good base, is hard to sweep, and has a good pass- this game changes things up a bit and can give you the edge you need to reverse or catch him, since people dont deal with it on a regular basis. As far as footlocks, Im assuming you're referring to the guy using upside down guard getting footlocked- being that this guard is more effective in gi and most footlocks are illegal in gi (and more easily defended) thats not a big issue unless you're brown belt or above.

There are many sweeps, reversals, and submissions that you can hit from there. The key to keeping your opponent from getting north south is to keep your hips well off the ground (i.e. you should be flexible enough to maintain this guard without feeling a stretch to get maximum effects). As far as no gi is concerned, I mainly use the upside down guard as a transtional position to regain the guard, but if your opponent insists on smashing you, you can very well keep going to his back.

Actually the guy on the bottom using the reverse guard has the edge in using footlocks because if you close your guard and you're using reverse guard on your opponent, his legs are basically free for you to grab and yours are hooked around his body so there is no way he can really leglock you from there.

In judo class, one orange belt LOVES to do this every time I get north/south on him. It's pretty annoying, but it helps teach you to stay LOW and apply pressure to the person you're grappling against. If they are wearing a gi and doing upside down guard, they're inviting you to grab their belt (behind their hips) which is a good anchor when you're going for a pin.

VanDamme, your advice is excellent, thanks. I think my error is in keeping my hips too far back, like with a more regular open guard, so that there is space for the guy to drop down. I take it the key is to get in more of a "stacked" position (hence the need for flexibility) so that your hips are keeping his chest away.

I assume that the best options are probably (a) try to replace with a more regular guard; (b) try to move through the legs and take the back; or (c) some sort of leg-grabbing sweep. Although to be honest, I can't imagine when I am going to see an instructional (or be taught by my prof, John Machado) on sweeps from upside-down guard. Gotta improvise.

It also occurs to me that it's probably not too hard to transition into an x-guard from upside down guard.

A cool sweep from upside down guard is to grab both sleeves and put your feet/shins in your opponents arm pits kinda like an upside down spider guard. From there kick your legs straight and roll up. This is also used as an escape from north/south. Check it out.

69-5.jpg

I love upside gaurd especially on lower belt ranks cuz they think they can pass easily and slip into something fast.

Blake Bowman said:
that would be your favorite expression if we were rolling too ;)
Where the fuck you been? I heard Cole kicked some ass down in Key West, nicely done.

Tyboeski said:
I love upside gaurd especially on lower belt ranks cuz they think they can pass easily and slip into something fast.

Any tips on how to maintain it/sweep from it? Where do you place your hands and knees, do you go for upside down spider or what?

Zankou said:
VanDamme, your advice is excellent, thanks. I think my error is in keeping my hips too far back, like with a more regular open guard, so that there is space for the guy to drop down. I take it the key is to get in more of a "stacked" position (hence the need for flexibility) so that your hips are keeping his chest away.

I assume that the best options are probably (a) try to replace with a more regular guard; (b) try to move through the legs and take the back; or (c) some sort of leg-grabbing sweep. Although to be honest, I can't imagine when I am going to see an instructional (or be taught by my prof, John Machado) on sweeps from upside-down guard. Gotta improvise.

It also occurs to me that it's probably not too hard to transition into an x-guard from upside down guard.

I aim to please- anyways, yes you're putting yourself in something similar to a "stacked" position, hence the aid for flexibility when using this position. Good options to use in this instance-

if your opponent attempts to bull into you for north south, you can proceed to take his back with the aid of your hooks to pop your head out of his grasp. Most people wont do this, but the way this tech is stopped is if your opponent keeps his head in the middle of your stomach, as opposed to either side of your hips- keep this in mind when attempting the move. If his head isnt on either side of your hips, work your hips into position around his head, or push his head to the side.

There are sweeps to do involving grabbing the legs

An upside down spider guard is quite effective here, because its not commonly seen and people are more likely to make mistakes as opposed to regular spider guard. Just put on the upside spider guard and you can see the options you have- omoplata and triangle will stick out the most.

flyingknee16 said:
Actually the guy on the bottom using the reverse guard has the edge in using footlocks because if you close your guard and you're using reverse guard on your opponent, his legs are basically free for you to grab and yours are hooked around his body so there is no way he can really leglock you from there

If you re read my post, Im referring to the open upside down guard as opposed to closed since its more common. If you can already get your legs and hips close enough to close the guard while upside down, you're close enough with enough leverage to use any other number of techniques as well, for example, the sweep in the picture earlier in this thread.

lee.l. said:
Where the fuck you been? I heard Cole kicked some ass down in Key West, nicely done.
second round KTFO. Thai clinch, left knee, right hand, dude went face first into the corner and got drilled with some more punches.

I've been here and there. Headed to the gym right now. PM me mang.

Iceman5592 said:
Lol. Buuurn.

Aw man. I miss rolling. I'm in the middle of wrestling season, because I know in the end it'll help me with MMA, but I miss sparring and rolling :icon_sad:

Oh well. Blake, it wouldn't matter. I bought Matt Furey's Primate Power book , so my King Kong strength alone will crush you, but then I'm going to buy his Catch Wrestling DVDs and tap you out easily anyways. Have fun with your silly Jiu-Jitsu and weight training, sucker.

Here's me after only 3 DAYS of the workout

BEFORE
337870333_l.jpg

AFTER
gorilla.jpg

*braces self for slap*

As a precautionary measure, just so you all know, if I'm ever talking about owning or buying anything by Matt Furey, you can pretty much be sure the ensuing paragraph will be sarcasm and humor.
I started in CACC. Footlock basically everyone under purple belt level with ease. Have more wins with heelhooks than all chokes combined in grappling tournaments. So, even though you were joking, bring it.

Also, I wrestled for a little while to (though not at a solid leel until college) and yes, it is very helpful for MMA.. not necessarily like you'd think. Wrestling practice makes you push yourself past eshaustion and keep going. That discipline alone is more beneficial than the takedowns IMHO.

Back