Economy Updated project canceled: California bullet train costs soar to $77 billion

How is a bullet train a bad idea? It may have been a bad project but it's a much better idea than driving around. Safer, cheaper, greener.

California is too car infested. You still have to drive somewhere in California even if you were to use the bullet train. People don't even go back and forth from San Francisco to LA that much.

This is why government by proposition sucks.

That $100 billion should go to infrastructure including new dam construction

Europe seems to have it figured out.

How is a bullet train a bad idea? It may have been a bad project but it's a much better idea than driving around. Safer, cheaper, greener.

A bullet train between LA and SF where a ticket would be more expensive and take you longer than flying.

Hmmm, not sure why this was a bad idea.

...and not a single Republican in sight for CA politicians to blame this travesty on.

hey, it had no chance of working but those construction companies and
politicians made some nice coin i guess, so it was worth it right california?

Gavin Newsom can go pound sand for trying to keep this bastardized gravy train rolling.

We were promised a bullet train that runs from San Francisco all the way down to San Diego, and now this is what they have to show, 10 years and tens of billions later:

Unacceptable: Legislators Shoot Down High Speed Rail Line from Merced to Bakersfield
By Stephen Stock , Jeremy Carroll and Kevin Nious | Published May 3, 2019

On Wednesday, the High Speed Rail Authority released its latest project update which scales back the original route going from San Francisco to Los Angeles, in favor of building a 171-mile stretch of regular speed rail from Merced to Bakersfield. As the estimated price tag to connect the Bay Area and Southern California balloons north of $80-billion, the Authority believes this new "building block" approach will give the state more time to raise funds and expand the system. But critics and even supporters of high speed rail are less convinced, saying this isn’t what the public signed up for.

HIGH SPEED RAIL AND PROP 1A

Environmental attorney Stuart Flashman has litigated several cases against the High Speed Rail Authority on behalf of municipalities, preservationists, and rail industry professionals. He believes the Authority’s latest proposal violates both the spirit and the letter of Prop. 1A, the $10-billion high speed rail bond measure approved by voters in 2008.

"[In 2008] voters were very skeptical and the legislature knew they were very skeptical. So [the legislature] said here's what we're going to do, we're going to put in a lot of protections to make sure this isn't a boondoggle," Flashman said.

One such protection in the bill authorizing Prop. 1A states, "The planned passenger service by the authority in the corridor or usable segment thereof will not require a local, state, or federal operating subsidy."

According to the Authority’s report, rail service from Merced to Bakersfield would not have enough riders to cover operating costs, requiring a monthly subsidy to the tune of millions. Flashman believes this is a clear violation of Prop. 1a and potentially illegal if the state goes through with the plan.

"It’s certainly not what the voters thought they were voting for," Flashman said. "There’s very strong legal exposure here and I don’t think the legislature can get [the High Speed Rail Authority] out of this."

Flashman said he and government watchdog groups will be watching closely to see if the state proceeds as planned.

"We have to talk to the clients. It’s worth [filing another lawsuit] but we have a case that’s currently pending."

BRINGING HIGH SPEED RAIL TO THE BAY AREA

State Senator Jim Beall [D-San Jose] serves as an Ex-Offio board member at the High Speed Rail Authority. Beall disagrees that the new plan violates Prop. 1A, but he still calls the proposal unacceptable because it leaves out Silicon Valley.

"I'm not too happy with [the update]. They're going to build from Merced to Bakersfield and I think that's what the Governor wants to do. But I want him to do this stuff in Silicon Valley too,” Beall said. “I think if we do that, we'll make the project closer to reality."

Beall believes he can still salvage the project and bring high speed rail to the Bay Area by 2030. He wants to extend the state cap and trade program through 2050 and apply for additional federal grants to help finish the job.

But getting more money from the feds could be a challenge. In February, the Federal Rail Authority revoked a $900-million grant to help lay rail in the Central Valley due to the Authority’s inability to build on schedule.

Longtime critic Assemblyman Jim Patterson [R-Fresno] is calling for California’s Attorney General to investigate how this massive project got derailed.

"The problem I have with the way high speed rail goes about this is that they change definitions. This is a shell game," Patterson said. "The final nail in the coffin here was [NBC Bay Area’s] exhaustive investigative reporting."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...om-Merced-to-Bakersfield-509461391.html?amp=y

Last edited:
U.S. cancels $929 million in California high speed rail funds after appeal rejected
By David Shepardson

r

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration said on Thursday it was formally cancelling $929 million in previously awarded funding for California's high-speed rail program after rejecting an appeal by the state.

The U.S. railway regulator, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), said on Thursday it had canceled the funding awarded in a 2010 agreement after it said the state had "repeatedly failed to comply" and "failed to make reasonable progress on the project."

In a statement, the FRA said it was still considering "all options" on seeking the return of $2.5 billion in federal funds the state has already received.

The Trump administration moved to end funding after California Governor Gavin Newsom said in February the state would scale back the planned $77.3 billion high-speed rail project after cost hikes, delays and management concerns, but would finish a smaller section.

In a statement on Thursday, Newsom called the action "illegal and a direct assault on California, our green infrastructure, and the thousands of Central Valley workers who are building this project."

He added "the Trump Administration is trying to exact political retribution on our state," and vowed to go to court to protect "California’s money, appropriated by Congress."

The traffic-choked state had planned to build a 520-mile (837-km) system in the first phase that would allow trains to travel at up to 220 miles per hour (354 kph) from Los Angeles to San Francisco and begin full operations by 2033.

Newsom said in February the state would instead complete a 119-mile high-speed link between Merced and Bakersfield in the state's Central Valley.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, who overseas FRA, in February said California's drastically scaled back rail project "is a classic example of bait and switch... We have a right to ask for that $2.5 billion back as well."

The state said in March that ending funding "would cause massive disruption, dislocation, and waste, damaging the region and endangering the future of high-speed rail in California."

The Obama administration awarded California $3.5 billion in 2010 and California voters in 2008 approved nearly $10 billion in bond proceeds.

In March 2018, the state forecast project costs had jumped $13 billion to $77 billion and warned costs could be as much as $98.1 billion.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1SM2F9

Last edited:
I've been told over and over how California's economy is such a powerhouse that it basically carries the rest of those deplorable fly-over states. I'm sure they can afford to build it without Federal assistance.

<LucyBless>

When you projected costs go from 13 billion, to possibly as high as 100, you dont deserve a penny until you figure your shit out.

How much money was taken from Californians to go in to a project that never got off the ground?

Where did that money go, and how will you be collecting that refund?
i called the government but his secretary told me he was on vacation on his private yacht named Cocaine.

I've never been able to figure out who wants this in the first place. Why do these two cities need a direct link between them???

I've never been able to figure out who wants this in the first place. Why do these two cities need a direct link between them???

They don't. It's cheap and easy to fly between LA and SF. The only people that seemed to want this was government officials, developers, and the rubes that voted for it thinking California could actually deliver and deliver for only $11-13 billion. It was projected to always lose money and would have been subsidized. The only thing it was probably going to be good for was transporting people who have been pushed further and further into the boonies into the cities to work.

I lived here my entire life. Would it be great if we had a better public transportation system? Of course it would, but it's extremely hard to do. Everything is so spread out for one, and two the California government is corrupt and inept. It takes forever to do basic projects here. Just doing simple upgrades to the freeways and freeway exits takes years. Over my lifetime barely anything has been upgraded and honestly the streets and freeways look like shit in most of LA. The only way that things will improve here will be due to some kind of new tech or due to a plague because Caltrans and the government is completely useless at improving our infrastructure and we are super overpopulated.

Last edited:
Top California high-speed rail executive under investigation in ethics probe
By Andrew O'Reilly | Fox News

la-1559626778-0i0nzgnoit-snap-image

A top consultant for California’s controversial high-speed rail project is under investigation after he modified a multi-million dollar contract that involved a company in which he may have held more than $100,000 in stock.

At the request of California state Assemblyman Jim Patterson, a Republican and major critic of the bullet train project, the Fair Political Practices Commission launched an investigation last week into the deputy chief operating officer for the California High-Speed Rail Authority, Roy Hill.

Hill, who is also a senior executive at the lead consulting firm WSP, signed a $51-million change order for the construction team led by the Spanish firm Dragados. Hill, however, may have also owned more than $100,000 stock in Jacobs Engineering, which is part of the Dragados team, according to the Los Angeles Times.

WSP suspended Hill on Monday at the direction of the rail authority. Hill will remain suspended until the investigation is resolved.

“We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards,” Denise Turner Roth, chief development officer for WSP USA, said in a statement. “We take these allegations seriously, and will cooperate fully with the investigation. Mr. Hill has been temporarily suspended while this matter is reviewed.”

The investigation into Hill marks another setback for the controversial rail project, which California Gov. Gavin Newsom vowed to plow forward with earlier this year – albeit in a reduced capacity.

In his first state of the state address earlier this year, Newsom said he was shelving plans for a high-speed rail line between Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area, and instead moving ahead with a line between Bakersfield and Merced through the state’s agricultural heartland.

The embattled $77 billion bullet train - which had long been championed by Newsom's predecessor, Jerry Brown - is years behind schedule, with the latest estimate for completion set for 2033. Bullet train planners had been under increasing pressure to make progress on the system that many believe had no plausible way of living up to its goal of getting riders across the state in three hours or less.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/to...executive-under-investigation-in-ethics-probe

A $100,000,000,000 mid-20th century moderate speed rail with only a couple unusable miles completed after over a decade while dams are literally failing putting tens of thousands of lives at risk, and now blatant corruption- yet they still wanna go through with it....talk about some fucked up priorities

Back