Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Three

Still struggling wondering why Copeland was cut.... In the UFC he lost to Rosholt and Magomedov two of the better recent HW signies.... There are guys like Hamilton, Asker, Danho, Cannonier, Omielanczuk among others that I like his chances against. Poor decision. He's a decent HW as far as today's division talent pool goes.

Denis Goltsov vs. Mike Kyle at ACB 32.

Another name win for Goltsov. Would like to see him fight Rasulov after that though.

Great workman like performance from Copeland last night.... If he stays away from the Minakovs, Ivanovs, and Volkovs he'll probably be able to rack up an impressive streak...

That said I really do like the idea of a Copeland/Ivanov scrap..... Rama or Mehmen next for Copeland? Winner gets another crack at Ivanov?

I'd agree with Rama vs Copeland next, then the winner gets Ivanov. Either Rama or Copeland would be a good comeback story with a win.

As a compliment to the professional heavyweight listing above, I will also post amateur fighters that meet the same criteria. I will continue to update this post with my personal list of top amateurs in heavyweight MMA. Any fighters that become professionals will be removed, and new fighters will be added to keep an up to date top 5 list that strives to pick the needles from the heavyweight amateur haystack.

Steve Mowry

Height: 6'9" Weight: 230 Age: 23 Region: PA Amateur Rec: 7-0

Next fight: TBA

Stefan Struve doesn't have to feel lonely at the top anymore, 6'9 heavyweight Steve Mowry is only a few inches off from being one of the tallest still active MMA fighters in the world. Not only is Mowry tall, but he is the best pure fighter on this list. Sporting a Golden Gloves state championship and a medal at the IBJJF No-Gi Worlds, Mowry's amateur combat sports experience is almost unheard of since Stipe Miocic's D1 wrestling and Golden Gloves boxing credentials wowed prospect scouts. Mowry's game is what you would expect, a lengthy striker that utilizes his jab and a tricky BJJ wizard who slides into dominant positions and threatens with long limbs at every second of the fight. If there was a sure bet for a fighter that will find success as a pro, Mowry and his ability to be a mixed martial artist above all is the iconification of it.

Paul what is the story on him? He hasn't fought in 13 months now, injured?

From twitter he looks healthy and is roommates and training partners with Linton Vassell

Back