Unpopular opinion: as a martial arts super fanatic....

J

Jpenwell14

Most of grappling arts are parlor tricks at worst and insurance policies at best (the lone exception seems to be purist judo). All things being equal most approaches to grappling in mma have rightfully become the liability they actually are, and are rarely much more than a way to survive. If dealing with multiple opponent 8even something as deadly as back mount body triangle is a liability, and the tendency to allow a tap instead of breaking something is a bad habit. Shout out to natan schulte my favorite grappler in all of mma right now. Sorry to my favorite parlor trick the imanari roll. You look cool but i can't rely on you in live combat. In real life things like Schaub vs cyborg happen because i don't have to agree to grapple with you. That being said the ability to grapple in open space off of overhooks becomes that much more important. And the ability to use the ground as a fight ending element should be the focus of any true martial artist or combat teacher imo.

At the same time most striking arts are very similar to dance choreography, and those who simply imitate techniques tend to do so poorly. Again i do not have to choose to engage you. This means if i can't kick you at range or throw you off an overhook when we clash, my mid range game is going to be severely limited based on what my opponent agrees to. Again with all the love of technique i have, i hate to say this but it's no wonder why people mock kung fu, karate, taekwondo, where points are more important than damage, or all varieties of boxing and kickboxing where gloves and ten counts skew results.
Shout out to jorge masvidal for becoming a supremely interesting example of what boxing and muay thai can be in real combat given the chance to properly grow.

Thats not to say there isn't anything good in there. Lord knows its in the technique waiting to be rediscovered and in the fighter waiting to blossom. Right now mma is headed in that direction, the right direction and as such martial arts continue to grow.

On a side note i used to be a fan of shoes and all forms of leg attacks to the head of a downed opponent. I've come to accept that for the longevity of the sport some elements are limited on purpose. Mainly finishing someone off of a knockdown. But I've come to realize a part of it is redundant like of course you would get stomped out on concrete, and a part of it is very noble and honorable, just because I can hurt someone that bad sometimes there is just more skill involved in stopping them without endangering their lives.

Good grappling or striking makes someone give up. In the absence of that, it takes a higher level of understanding of technique and preparing the body every day to overcome someone else's will. Things like 25 minute fights, or crazier like 100 man kumite in kyokushin, or 300+ match record in muay thai or really old school grappling matches, they can be difficult to watch but i suppose it's important to remember some people don't have a will you can break. I hope the ufc continues to progress towards highly skilled bareknuckle boxing, lethwei, kyokushin and judo oriented flash grappling because for my money, time and fanaticism I'm only interested in seeing exactly how real it can get at its peak without sacrificing fighter longevity because it's only because of them we get to see the true beauty of the technique anyways.

Just my two cents for the day.

Most of grappling arts are parlor tricks at worst and insurance policies at best (the lone exception seems to be purist judo). All things being equal most approaches to grappling in mma have rightfully become the liability they actually are, and are rarely much more than a way to survive. If dealing with multiple opponent 8even something as deadly as back mount body triangle is a liability, and the tendency to allow a tap instead of breaking something is a bad habit. Shout out to natan schulte my favorite grappler in all of mma right now. Sorry to my favorite parlor trick the imanari roll. You look cool but i can't rely on you in live combat. In real life things like Schaub vs cyborg happen because i don't have to agree to grapple with you. That being said the ability to grapple in open space off of overhooks becomes that much more important. And the ability to use the ground as a fight ending element should be the focus of any true martial artist or combat teacher imo.

At the same time most striking arts are very similar to dance choreography, and those who simply imitate techniques tend to do so poorly. Again i do not have to choose to engage you. This means if i can't kick you at range or throw you off an overhook when we clash, my mid range game is going to be severely limited based on what my opponent agrees to. Again with all the love of technique i have, i hate to say this but it's no wonder why people mock kung fu, karate, taekwondo, where points are more important than damage, or all varieties of boxing and kickboxing where gloves and ten counts skew results.
Shout out to jorge masvidal for becoming a supremely interesting example of what boxing and muay thai can be in real combat given the chance to properly grow.

Thats not to say there isn't anything good in there. Lord knows its in the technique waiting to be rediscovered and in the fighter waiting to blossom. Right now mma is headed in that direction, the right direction and as such martial arts continue to grow.

On a side note i used to be a fan of shoes and all forms of leg attacks to the head of a downed opponent. I've come to accept that for the longevity of the sport some elements are limited on purpose. Mainly finishing someone off of a knockdown. But I've come to realize a part of it is redundant like of course you would get stomped out on concrete, and a part of it is very noble and honorable, just because I can hurt someone that bad sometimes there is just more skill involved in stopping them without endangering their lives.

Good grappling or striking makes someone give up. In the absence of that, it takes a higher level of understanding of technique and preparing the body every day to overcome someone else's will. Things like 25 minute fights, or crazier like 100 man kumite in kyokushin, or 300+ match record in muay thai or really old school grappling matches, they can be difficult to watch but i suppose it's important to remember some people don't have a will you can break. I hope the ufc continues to progress towards highly skilled bareknuckle boxing, lethwei, kyokushin and judo oriented flash grappling because for my money, time and fanaticism I'm only interested in seeing exactly how real it can get at its peak without sacrificing fighter longevity because it's only because of them we get to see the true beauty of the technique anyways.

Just my two cents for the day.
Guillotines end fights in the street. Of course you aren’t pulling guard and probably aren’t taking backs, but knowledge, skill and experience are all invaluable in any fight.

basic ideas about manipulating a person like wrist control and under hooks are enough to dominate and end any fight with an untrained opponent quickly

Maybe change to watching competitive shooting. That would work well on the street.

Idk what I just read but are you saying an untrained person can dictate a ground fight or merely not engage in a standing fight if he chooses to.

An untrained dude is NOT gonna do a Schaub/Cyborg and just palm a good grappler like Cyborg on his forehead c’mon man.

"most grappling arts are parlor tricks" is a pretty basic minded statement coming from a self proclaimed martial arts super fan if you ask me.

Cliff's..

220px-Cliff_Clavin_posing_in_%22Please_Mr_Postman%22.png

parlor tricks and dance choreography<6> reminds me of Anderson's prime

I agree. Grappling is for women and children who can't fight.

What are you claiming is better?

All situations require different approaches sometimes BJJ is best, sometimes Boxing is best, sometimes you need a gun, sometimes you need to run, etc.

You seem like one of those people that thinks they're much smarter than they are LOL

Argh - I've grown to hate the use of "Unpopular Opinion" at the start of a thread title.. why is it an "unpopular opinion" when the opinion has yet to be discussed in the thread!?

"Unpopular opinion"
yup

No fucking clue what thid thread is about tbh, but if a wrestler wants to slam you on your head and you have no training in sparwling or understanding positions, he's gonna do it, pretty fucking easy. Go spar with an actual semi pro mma fighter, you'll feel helpless, he coule literally make you his bitch and there's not a thing you could do about it, good thing is that most mma fighters are chill and dont pick fights with regular people.

Back