Unintentional Knee?

DaysOfThunder

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
That knee straight to the head was not an accident. It was intentional and it was to the head of a grounded opponent, which makes it illegal. Walker could not continue and the fight was stopped in round 1. The rules say that he wins by DQ. Why was it ruled a no contest?

Because the UFC and all athletic commissions try to avoid DQs at all costs, for whatever reason. So many similar No Contests have happened that should've been DQs.

It’s the referee’s discretion to determine intent. I’d imagine they’d say Ankalaev threw the knee not knowing his opponent was downed therefore accidental. How they determine that, who the hell knows. It’s all murky.

I don't know what a fighter has to do to make it intentional. This wasn't someone pulling the standing up and bending down and touching the canvas with the hands. He was literally sitting down on the ground. No way he didn't know that walker was grounded. Jesus. It was as intentional as it can get.
These guys might as well go out there and just bust out the savage kick to the balls. Or at least keep it up their sleeve if they start finding themselves on the receiving end of a beating. Eye poke, the whole lot. There's no repercussions unless it's a repeated act. One free foul seems fool proof

I think the line in the sand SHOULD be "the fighter intentionally did the move that way and it was a foul" and not just "the fighter intentionally fouled."

Ignorance/negligence should not go unpunished. This situation isn't like throwing a leg kick at a guy who's moving so you hit his crotch. This situation is like front kicking straight up the middle and going "I didn't know his balls were there."

Even if you want to try and say you weren't trying to foul him, you did EXACTLY what you were trying to do and it was a foul.

DQ that shit

That knee straight to the head was not an accident. It was intentional and it was to the head of a grounded opponent, which makes it illegal. Walker could not continue and the fight was stopped in round 1. The rules say that he wins by DQ. Why was it ruled a no contest?
Because the referee's confuse "Intentional" with "Malicious".
An inside leg kick that goes off target and hits the groin is an "Accidental" foul. That was a knee and it was targeted at the head. If Magomed was trying to time it to land just as Johnny's knee came off the ground (which he wasn't in process of getting up IMO) or something you can say it wasn't maliciously intended. But it was 100% INTENTIONAL. He meant to hit the head and it ended the fight. That should 100% be a DQ. Otherwise fighters can do anything and at worst get a NC. I guess in today's UFC Wes Sims gets a NC?

Yeah but this way they can still keep Ankalaev from fighting for the belt.

Works nice doesn't it?

Back