Undue Influence Scenario: Sort by Controversial

Tycho- Taylor's Version

Wild ferocious creature
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me put my story on your blog. Mainstream media is crap and no one would have believed me anyway.

This starts in September 2017. I was working for a small online ad startup. You know the ads on Facebook and Twitter? We tell companies how to get them the most clicks. This startup – I won’t tell you the name – was going to add deep learning, because investors will throw money at anything that uses the words “deep learning”. We train a network to predict how many upvotes something will get on Reddit. Then we ask it how many likes different ads would get. Then we use whatever ad would get the most likes. This guy (who is not me) explains it better. Why Reddit? Because the upvotes and downvotes are simpler than all the different Facebook reacts, plus the subreddits allow demographic targeting, plus there’s an archive of 1.7 billion Reddit comments you can download for training data. We trained a network to predict upvotes of Reddit posts based on their titles.

Any predictive network doubles as a generative network. If you teach a neural net to recognize dogs, you can run it in reverse to get dog pictures. If you train a network to predict Reddit upvotes, you can run it in reverse to generate titles it predicts will be highly upvoted. We tried this and it was pretty funny. I don’t remember the exact wording, but for /r/politics it was something like “Donald Trump is no longer the president. All transgender people are the president.” For r/technology it was about Elon Musk saving Net Neutrality. You can also generate titles that will get maximum downvotes, but this is boring: it will just say things that sound like spam about penis pills.

Reddit has a feature where you can sort posts by controversial. You can see the algorithm here, but tl;dr it multiplies magnitude of total votes (upvotes + downvotes) by balance (upvote:downvote ratio or vice versa, whichever is smaller) to highlight posts that provoke disagreement. Controversy sells, so we trained our network to predict this too. The project went to this new-ish Indian woman with a long name who went by Shiri, and she couldn’t get it to work, so our boss Brad sent me to help. Shiri had tested the network on the big 1.7 billion comment archive, and it had produced controversial-sounding hypothethical scenarios about US politics. So far so good.

The Japanese tested their bioweapons on Chinese prisoners. The Tuskegee Institute tested syphilis on African-Americans. We were either nicer or dumber than they were, because we tested Shiri’s Scissor on ourselves...

(cont'd)

https://slatestarcodex.com/2018/10/30/sort-by-controversial/

Designing an algorithm to optimize controversy - now with political consequences!

@Jack V Savage I noticed you linked to Slate Star the other day, you catch this one? Creeped me out pretty thoroughly.

Designing an algorithm to optimize controversy - now with political consequences!

@Jack V Savage I noticed you linked to Slate Star the other day, you catch this one? Creeped me out pretty thoroughly.
Interesting piece, pretty scary honestly. If you think about it its possible that we here in the WR have been victimized by Scissor statement at one point in the past few years.

I don't really know what the answer is. Unplugging ourselves from the cyber spaces that leave us vulnerable to this kind of manipulation seems glyph unlikely given our collective dependence on the internet and technology and the author seems pretty pessimistic about being able to combat it through norms of civility.

“Donald Trump is no longer the president. All transgender people are the president.”

Okay this is my favorite AI quote ever, and it's gonna be a while before it's knocked off imo.

In the short term I also worry about what AI learning is going to do to search engine optimization. Seems like Google and other engines could be gamed pretty hard, and that would hurt the Internet pretty badly.

Interesting read but it’s a work of fiction. Maybe would make an decent movie plot but real life isn’t quite this way

You don't think there are certain news/current event topics pushed with a desired result of creating conflict and bickering amongst the masses?

I've seen plenty of divisive issues pushed that don't seem to be organic in their rise to headlines. Some are simply due to that resulting in more clicks for ad revenue, but it's not at all out of the realm that some are due to our gov, our corporations, or foreign influences affecting things to give a rise to the harsh political divide in the USA at the moment.

You don't think there are certain news/current event topics pushed with a desired result of creating conflict and bickering amongst the masses?

I've seen plenty of divisive issues pushed that don't seem to be organic in their rise to headlines. Some are simply due to that resulting in more clicks for ad revenue, but it's not at all out of the realm that some are due to our gov, our corporations, or foreign influences affecting things to give a rise to the harsh political divide in the USA at the moment.

I have no doubt that what you describe happens. That’s the kernel of truth in the story and is why I found it and interesting work of science fiction.

The part I don’t buy is the apparent premise that there could be super-combinations of words that can override our individual agency and all but force us into conflict.

scary shit. we are so fucked. Incoming fascist technocracy followed by mass genocide of anybody that doesn't serve a purpose that a.i. and robots can't fill.

Interesting read. However, I skipped over this thread multiple times because the title doesn't clearly explain what it's about. Consider checking your thread title against Reddit's political shitposting algorithm. Consider using a title such as "DEEP LEARNING: A.I. Algorithm Automatically Creates Internet Clickbait to Influence Elections."

Back