Under Pride Rules, would Jones vs Reyes be controversial?

bigconan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's my take on it....Since pride judged fights based on the whole fight and not by each round, I think jones would have won, without there being any controversy...simply by how the fight ended....with jones winning the last 2 rounds...with reyes going back constantly, and jones constantly on him. I think the last 10 minutes has a much larger impact on the decision, than the first half.

Yea if it was pride rules. Championship rounds should count for more anyway IMO. Reyes did really good at the start though, Jones just adjusted and finished well he deserves to keep the title IMO.

What about under original Olympics combat rules from ancient Greece?

Under Pride rules I would have scored it for Jones. Under the current UFC rules, I scored it for Reyes. Under the old UFC rules, which the Texas Commission used, I think it was a toss up.

Maybe the 5th round should be worth 5x, the 4th 4x, etc.

Then a lame first round where nothing happens wouldn't determine the winner so often. And even if a fighter dominates the first round he knows it means nothing if he doesn't finish the fight strong. No one would be coasting the last round.

In 3-round fights the last round would be worth as much as both previous rounds. That could lead to a lot of ties, so they would have to introduce half-point scoring as well. A really close round would be a 10-9.5, a wide but not shutout round would be 10-8.5.

Make it so.

Here's my take on it....Since pride judged fights based on the whole fight and not by each round, I think jones would have won, without there being any controversy...simply by how the fight ended....with jones winning the last 2 rounds...with reyes going back constantly, and jones constantly on him. I think the last 10 minutes has a much larger impact on the decision, than the first half.

You can't just take one part of the rules tho.

PRIDE was not just about who's better in the last round.

How would the fight go if there were no elbows ?

PRIDE had 3 rounds, not 5, and the 1st one is 10min. It had 2 mins of rest between rounds.

Would Jones be able to take down people if there was no cage to pin them on?

In PRIDE, Jones would not be the ONLY man allowed to take steroids...would he have an unfair advantage there as well?

etc etc etc...

Would Lens Armstrong be able to beat all those cyclists if they were in race cars ?

You can’t score if for Jones under pride rules cause it doesn’t quite fit the narrative

What about under original Olympics combat rules from ancient Greece?

I'm talking legit mma rules, that are considered the best scoring system in mma...pride is routinely talked about as the best scoring system...

If you think that guys walking aorun 230 with abs were not "encouraged" to fight as a HW in Pride, you don't know much about PRIDE

Jones shot out of desperation and was ineffective with them. He didn't do damage late in the fight, but scored points. Reyes did the most damage, went for the kill more, so he would've won under such rules. I do get the "late in the fight" argument, but I don't think Jones did enough.

We have a natural for champs and strong finisher.

Let's look at some controversial Decision

Gsp vs Hendricks
Jones vs Santos
Jones vs Reyes
Jones vs Gus
Condit vs Lawler
Hendricks vs Lawler
Romero 2 vs Whittaker
Barbosa vs Felder 2
Romero Vs Costas

In all of thoses the winner took the last round.

The lasting image you have of thoses fight is the last round

Jones shot out of desperation and was ineffective with them. He didn't do damage late in the fight, but scored points. Reyes did the most damage, went for the kill more, so he would've won under such rules. I do get the "late in the fight" argument, but I don't think Jones did enough.
Absolutly he lost that fire killer instinc that he had.
Pre usada Jon would have taken a lot of risk in the 3th round and really went for the finish for vicious elbows and ground strikes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back