• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC will probably never have a Heavyweight fighter as good as Fedor

Viper2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Let's face it, UFC has never, and most likely will never, have a Heavyweight fighter as good as Fedor. In his prime, Fedor would have made short work of every single UFC Heavyweight fighter thus far. I know this annoys a lot of UFC fans that missed Fedor's epic run in Pride (when it was actually happening) and therefore a lot of these UFC fans would rather hate on something they missed out on rather than acknowledge the truth.

Discuss.

Let's face it, UFC has never, and most likely will never, have a Heavyweight fighter as good as Fedor. In his prime, Fedor would have made short work of every single UFC Heavyweight fighter thus far. I know this annoys a lot of UFC fans that missed Fedor's epic run in Pride (when it was actually happening) and therefore a lot of these UFC fans would rather hate on something they missed out on rather than acknowledge the truth.

Discuss.

He already made short work of virtually every ufc HW champ from his era.

Fedor was amazing but these conversations about when a fighter was in his prime would have done this or that is just silly. From an overall skills perspective Fedor was great for that moment but the skills, condition and strength fighters have now is totally different then during his time.

Jones would have beat him, I think Randy had a good shot if that ever happened, as well as several others in the HW division.

Every sport has this and it just the dumbest arguments

Aside from being a fan of either Fedor or Jones, how would that fight go? In primes of course and let's go Pride rules in ring.
Prime Fedor was too strong and too fast for Jones. Fedor would have defeated Jones in Round 1. I don't think that match would have even gone to a decision.

Fedor was amazing but these conversations about when a fighter was in his prime would have done this or that is just silly. From an overall skills perspective Fedor was great for that moment but the skills, condition and strength fighters have now is totally different then during his time.

Jones would have beat him, I think Randy had a good shot if that ever happened, as well as several others in the HW division.

Prime Fedor would have beat them all. The sport "evolving" is a myth.

Good thing that we finally get to debate how Fedor would have done in the UFC and if he was overrated or underrated or maybe out of prime when he lost and all that stuff which has never been debated before.

Fighting in a ring instead of an octagon would have taken away Randy's biggest strength in xlinching up against the cage and use his Greco-Roman. Fedor however would still be able to use his Sambo in a octagon.

I'm a huge fan but the reality is Fedor had the luxury of taking a few squash matches during his career, fights like Zulu, Valavičius, Nagata and Ogawa shouldn't have happened. They simply didn't belong there with Fedor.

However, it was a different era, people fought more often, you didn't always know who you were going to fight, you might have to fight a few times in one night, the sport had far less regulation. Fedor had more fights in 5 years than many heavyweights have in their entire career but todays HW's are fighting more consistent competition once their at the top and the reality is, we don't know what sort of PEDS Fedor was on. Under those conditions, Fedor was able to thrive more than any other HW and was truly the best era and as of today, currently still holds that title.

I would say Cain or DC shown that sign of dominance and promise early in their career but Cains career was riddled with too many injuries and DC decided to drop down a weight class.

I think we'll see a HW that dominant again, eventually some freak wrestler who's 6'5" with an iron chin and endless cardio is going to rag doll his way through the competition but who knows when that will be, may not be in our lifetime. Certainly won't happen until the UFC start paying their athletes more fairly and start scouting better talent.

From an overall skills perspective Fedor was great for that moment but the skills, condition and strength fighters have now is totally different then during his time.
Skills? Fedor today would easily be the most skilled grappler in the division, he had a strong judo background and was incredibly agile and crafty with his submissions and in terms of his striking, he was pretty limited to mainly his sambo casting style of boxing he was incredibly explosive and very difficult to counter due to his overwhelming pressure, speed and volume.

He would probably struggle with the size of the fighters today, like boxing as seen over the past 10 years, the athletes have become a lot larger, it was pretty rare to see a in shape HW that weighed over 250lb now it's common practice. Also, he was definitely not used to the cage, against bigger wrestlers he was able to get taken down and controlled, with the cage it would be a lot more difficult for him to work for sweeps or submissions of his back.

Honestly the current HW champ Jones would definitely give Fedor problems at the same age and win, so I don't think it's fair to say Fedor is just leagues better than all these UFC guys. It's biased to discard Fedor's losses, but still hold losses of these fantasy opponents against them.

There are tons of HWs Fedor never got to match up with either. I'm also not convinced Fedor could armbar from bottom any modern HW wrestler like he did in Pride, the guys today can avoid those positions and I don't see Fedor getting to his feet. This is coming from someone whose first fight they watched in person was a Fedor card.

To be honest Fedor well rounded complete skill set, elevates him higher than virtually anyone that fought in the HW division. He's a overall better striker than Jon Jones. I believe there grappling is about the equal. Wrestling I would give to Jones.

A prime Fedor vs current HW Jones, would be the ultimate HW bout.

Last edited:
Fedor doesn't get enough credit from hardcore UFC fans, but the guy was special during his era. He had all the tools you'd expect in a middleweight, as a heavyweight and was fighting much larger men 90% of the time he was the ring/cage.

That said, I think the UFC has had quite a few guys that could arguably be considered on Fedor's level skill wise comparatively; Stipe, Werdum, Cain, Later Ngannou, etc.

But will another heavyweight capture the magic of going 10 years unbeaten in arguably the most dangerous (because of how quick a fight can end) division in the UFC like Fedor did in his prime? Unlikely. The sport has evolved passed these possibilities imo. Jones beat Gane and he did so by doing the opposite of what he normally went for at LHW, at LHW he was pretty well known for beating guys at their own game but he had no interest in striking with Gane, and it was apparent. Which I'm not knocking him for, that's the smartest thing he could've done. I think it shows that he knows HW is a different game, it only takes one in most fights but at HW it's just a higher chance possibility of getting that ONE shot that ends a fight.

Our only hope of a truly dominant HW champion was Francis imo and now he's gone on to better things.

Back