UFC wants its Mexican Champion, even though he is not Mexican

I really hope they're not rematching. Give Werdum someone new.

And vice-versa because I hate mexicans from mexico. Im mex-american btw.

We hear enough stupid shit from 'Merican folk, we don't need to shit talk ourselves. There's plenty of cool Mexicans.

Mexican descended American born, by the way. Unfortunately the spanish wasn't passed down.

I don't know what Zuffa wants out of this undeserved rematch but it's idiotic bush league matchmaking is alive, well and legendary. And people keep buying it.

If you define Mexican as ethnicity, then yes, he's Mexican.
If you define Mexican as nationality, then it would depend on whether he has Mexican citizenship.
If you define Mexican as cultural identity, then it depends on whether he cherishes those values sufficiently enough to pass whatever arbitrary litmus test you deem appropriate.

Long story short, Mexican is in the eye of the beholder.

I would love to see Yair Rodriguez become a monster in years to come. I wouldn't mind him being their Mexican champion.

So DANA White is so desperate to have his Mexican Champion, that we will have to watch him fight against Werdum again. If he wins he might as well take two years of for injuries without being stripped of the title.

UFC should really have given the fans another title fight, sin ewe need fighting champions and not paper champions.

Cain has fought 6 times since 2011, and then people complain about Aldo pulling out, at least he fights twice a year.

Cain and Petis should never be allowed to fight for a tittle again unless they can prove they are able to make it two fights in a row without getting injured.

Dana isn't looking for a Champion with Mexican nationality (citizenship).
He's looking for a Champion of Mexican descent (ethnicity).

Cain is an American citizen of Mexican descent.

The ufc needs a champion of Eskimo ethnicity. They need to break into the Eskimo market by having events to the far north. That's a big money market.
Andy Enz is from Alaska, isn't he? That's close enough.

Little known fact: Dana forced Cain to get a Brown Pride tattoo in order to fake his heritage.

Little known fact: Dana forced Cain to get a Brown Pride tattoo in order to fake his heritage.

So if his parents went on vacation in America and had him here would that make him American?

Who gives a crap. He's still Mexican to me. Just like a Chinese person is still Chinese regardless where he's born.

When I thought things would start moving in the HW division...

I am amazed by the overt racism on Sherdog. Cain is an American of Mexican decent who also happens to be the only dominant champion in the UFC HW division in a long time. Sure he only fought BF and JDS in recent history but that's because they were the only viable contenders and that's not his fault or a result of him being Mexican. That fact is truly of no consequence and it being highlighted is incredibly inflammatory. Cain vs Werdum II is a completely legit match up. As Mattt Hughes said "You aren't a true champion until you have defended your title".

I do think it's pathetic that he's getting the rematch, but it could simply be a case of them thinking the rematch would be a lot more profitable than any other fight they could make. If having Cain as champ is their primary motive I think they're making a mistake because Werdum is a tough match-up for him. They'd be better off trying to let JDS take Werdum out for Cain.

I am amazed by the overt racism on Sherdog. Cain is an American of Mexican decent who also happens to be the only dominant champion in the UFC HW division in a long time. Sure he only fought BF and JDS in recent history but that's because they were the only viable contenders and that's not his fault or a result of him being Mexican. That fact is truly of no consequence and it being highlighted is incredibly inflammatory. Cain vs Werdum II is a completely legit match up. As Mattt Hughes said "You aren't a true champion until you have defended your title".
Cain/ Werdum II is not a legit match-up at all. There are several other dudes that could have fought instead, but no, we have to watch Cain fight for the belt again, despite getting soundly whooped by Werdum the first time.

He's 1/3 Chinese, like every other fighter in the UFC.

Considering scientists believe human life originated in Africa, we're all actually Ethiopians.

Anyone claiming any heritage other than Ethiopian is a self-loathing coward imo.

Back